8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The people who you're constantly assaulting with exclamation points!!!!!

You know, the people with their head in the sand! The people who don't mind the new status quo!

The people who refuse to be honest! Who lack your critical thought!  Who won't pull their head out of their as$$$es!

What exactly are we missing that you see so clearly, and what should we do next?

Guy I think I answered both of the questions in one of our other posts

55 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think its relevancy got lost in your interpretation. Perhaps it's hard to win in Corvallis and perhaps Riley isn't that great of a coach. Both of those things can be true to some degree instead of harnessing an all or nothing approach.

I never said all or nothing. I was saying that it gets old hearing the excuses for Riley's mediocrity. His lack of success cannot ALL be blamed on the fact that he coached in Corvallis. I get that it is somewhat of a unique situation there, but there are other places that are at least comparable (hence me bringing up Pullman, WA). It just seems that if he were as good a coach as people keep saying he is (and I still hear it all the time), he would have found more success in his rather long career. 

2 hours ago, California Husker said:

I get that it is somewhat of a unique situation there, but there are other places that are at least comparable (hence me bringing up Pullman, WA). It just seems that if he were as good a coach as people keep saying he is (and I still hear it all the time), he would have found more success in his rather long career. 

And why did you bring up Pullman?

I'll repeat myself. Mike Leach, someone you are propping up as a better version of Riley or a really good coach or something, hasn't accomplished anything in his six years at WSU that Riley hadn't in his first six years at OSU.

So again. Why bring it up? He hasn't done any better...

19 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Speaking of hindsight, who were the other candidates we should have pursued in 2014 and how clean are their resumes?

Who would you go after today?

Here is who was hired the same year as Mike Riley:

Lance Leipold-Buffalo

Colorado St:  Mike Bobo

Florida:  Jim McElwain

Houston:  Tom Herman

Kansas:  David Beatty

Michigan:  JIm Harbaugh

Missouri St:  Dave Steckel

Pittsburgh:  Pat Narduzzi

Oregon St:  Gary Anderson

SMU:  Chad Morris

Troy:  Neal Brown

Tulsa:  Philip Montgomery

UNLV:  Tony Sanchez

Wisconsin:  Paul Chryst

Today, if Riley were not the coach, I would take a run at Chip Kelly.  If we are talking someone with no HC experience-Dave Aranda.

This is in no way a reflection of thinking Riley should be gone. 

That same coach had seasons of 7-5, 5-6 and 8-5. I don't know if I'd put much weight behind that argument.

For the record, I'm not a Corvallis apologist, but it is generally considered one of the worst college football programs in the country in terms of fan support, booster support, tradition, facilities, etc. Could Riley have done better? Conceptually, sure, but you can make that argument for most coaches.

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, unlfan said:

He still had 11-1. Mike Riley never came close to that.

even going down your road, that makes DE's record 31-17. 65% winning percentage. Still a losing argument for Riley apologists.

DE also had a 1-2 bowl record and missed a bowl entirely after that 11-1 season, who then went to the 49ers and got fired after two seasons.

No offense, but I don't think it's a very strong argument. If anything, the data point is an outlier. Brady Hoke took Michigan to a BCS bowl in his first season, after all, but would you say he's a better coach than Harbaugh?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, unlfan said:

even going down your road, that makes DE's record 31-17. 65% winning percentage. Still a losing argument for Riley apologists.

How many years did it take TO to even come close to Bob Devaney?  Gene Chizik is 38-38 as a head coach, yet he won a NC.  Howard Schnellenberger is 158-151-3 as a head coach, yet he won a NC.  Bill Snyder is 203-105-1 and has never won a NC and never will.  Snyder could coach circles around Chizik and Schnellenberger. 

It's difficult to really compare coaches even when they coach/coached even at the same program.  Dennis Erickson has coached at a lot of different programs.  Throughout his coaching career, his best years at each program was typically his first or his second year.  After that, almost every program he was at trended down.  He had one great year at Oregon State.  Had he coached there another half dozen or so years, it's quite likely his winning percentage there would look pretty similar to Riley's. 

Considering Riley is Oregon State's all time winningest coach, one can conclude one of two things:  either coaches just don't stay there very long, or it is a pretty hard place to win.  Whether Riley is the solution or not remains to be seen, but he is at least laying a pretty decent foundation.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, unlfan said:

Remember when Dennis Erickson went 31-31 at Arizona St?  He had 1 winning season in 5 years coaching there.

Like I said earlier.  You can't compare one job to another.

• Plus1 1
33 minutes ago, unlfan said:

You are making my point for me. I am saying DE had BOTH (1) the best season between the two AND (2) the better winning percentage when compared to Riley. Your comparison is not analogous because no coach in your example can claim they have BOTH (1) best season AND (2) best winning percentage.

Please, point to the coach in your example that has BOTH the best winning percentage AND the best season.

Riley holds a head to head winning record vs Erickson that spans over a 5 season period. 

Based on having more wins vs Erickson, will you concede MR the better coach or find more arbitrary data to support an invalid argument? 

3 minutes ago, unlfan said:

To be clear, I think Dennis Erickson is a bad football coach. I also think he is better than Mike Riley. Not mutually exclusive.

Seems to me he did well when he took over a winning football program from Jimmy Johnson at Miami

All other college programs he is 116-87.  .571 percentage

What kind of program did Riley take over at Nebraska?