What did we learn-Game 2 Oregon

JJ Husker

Newby has been ... a disappointment.  I've never been that impressed but he just doesn't seem to get much done.  And I'm still confused why he plays to the field side when we have Gifford who has mostly played very well and would seem to - as a former safety - be better playing in space.

This is an 11-yard run by Freeman out of the Diamond Formation.  Newby is unblocked and is standing there watching three backs all flow at him.  He obviously has to be the 'Force' player - set the edge - because only Jackson is outside him and he's got to cover the WR.  But instead he stands there as the lead RB goes completely past him and has probably the easiest seal block of his life.  Weber nearly runs over him so Weber has flowed to the OLB spot before Newby moves.  They both get caught by one blocker and away Freeman goes.

hc0sqD8.png

• Plus1 2

Mostly good with a bit of bad on the interception.

Bad first - Lamar Jackson (top right) is still a pretty raw CB.  He gives up his cushion too quickly and is completely lost by the shoulder shake to the outside.  He's completely turned the wrong way as the WR cuts back to the middle.

The good - Khalil Davis helps bail him out by getting some pressure (finally!) such that the QB can't really step into his throw.  He doesn't get much on it.  Which allows for....

Really good - Jackson is fast enough to recover on the under-throw so he can tip the ball away and Aaron Williams (at the 47 in the pic below) also hustles back to be in position to intercept the tip.

Edit: I guess I should correct myself that it wasn't that the QB didn't get much on the throw, it's that it didn't have much touch.  It was on a line and the WR mis-judged it and ran too shallow such that it was high and Jackson could knock it away.

Kh2GcEx.png

Edited by Mavric
  • Plus1 1

OK, maybe this is the screen play I was trying to think of earlier.  It's actually a decent set up - Hoppes was originally lined up right but shifts into a wing left and they try to throw the screen to him.  But we out-smart ourselves with the cute protection call.  For whatever reason, we have Foster pull away from where the screen is going to be thrown.  At first I thought it might have been a mistake but Gates actually fills down hard to the spot Foster just vacated so I think it was the actual call.  The problem is now there's no one left to pick up the blitzing LB.  He gets right in Lee's face and the pass is batted down.

I originally thought it was the timing of this play that was screwed up because it doesn't look like the blockers are releasing in time - which was often the problem the last couple years.  But I think the timing would have been OK if Lee wasn't rushed.

uATaofc.png

Edited by Mavric
Hoppes, not Ketter

Counter play with Foster pulling but both Ketter and Foster run past the OLB at the point of attack and he makes the play.  

I've been a Farmer fan since he committed in high school but I'm starting to fall off the bandwagon.  Bryant nearly gets away from the unblocked OLB but Farmer doesn't hold his block very long and the DT get over to finish the tackle.

kflFXZ5.png

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Fourth down conversion from Lee to Spielman.  Quick release and an on-target throw from Lee.  But I think it was @ColoradoHusk earlier who was noting Lee's mechanics.  That's not the footwork you should have in a clean pocket.  Stepping left with his front foot and doesn't transfer his weight at all.

5dBodDL.png

Guys with strong arms always try to get away with poor mechanics. It happens in football, I see it all the time in baseball. A lot of times they have strong enough arms that people don't notice the poor mechanics, but as the level of competition gets tougher, the mechanics mean more and more. 

• Plus1 1

Well, crap.  That's how you spoil the momentum.  After the fourth down conversion, we get a false state, a two-receiver pass route with an incomplete throw into double-coverage, a draw that doen't work and this.

Our line has a terrible time picking up a simple twist.  Oregon only has three down linemen and two LBs in the box.  We have six guys to block five.  So even though they blitz both LBs, it shouldn't be that hard.  But the LB at the top simply crosses Conrad's face and we can't pick him up.  Yes, Wilbon also fails again.  But Bryant isn't hurt yet.  If Wilbon is so terrible at pass pro why is he in the game on 3rd & 12?

ItmDNkm.png

What we learned is what we know. Football games are won in the trenches. We lose this battle on a consistent basis. It baffles me, to hear Mike Riley say things such as, "Usually the team that controls the line of scrimmage and runs the ball better, wins the game."

I seem to recall Tom Osborne sound bytes throughout his career saying the same exact thing but he GOT IT. Riley doesn't, and is unwilling to change his philosophy and that is the difference between 7-5 and 10-2.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

:wtf

How in the heck do we get away with this alignment?  3rd & 1 and we don't have anyone on the line between the Center's shoulder and a yard outside the tackle?  Somehow we actually managed to stop this.  I'll give credit to Carlos for clogging it up but it's really Freeman that screwed it up for Oregon by running straight ahead instead of where there is an obvious GAPING hole - especially knowing he only needed one yard for a first down.

Again, this isn't confusion.  Obviously everyone knew they were supposed to line up where they did.  But wow.  That's not a great way to have success stopping short yardage runs.  You can see the huge hole in the second pic.  Freeman just didn't ... somehow. 

eP3Ru0M.png

CdiOC99.png

I have actually seen other teams line up like this.  I don't fully understand it.

My only possible explanation is that you are using the same 3-4 personal but really ending up with a 5 or 6 front when the LBs crash the LOS after the snap.

It's my only explanation.  But, like I've said, it's used by other teams also.