Minnesota replacing Iowa as Nebraska's Thanksgiving Game

knapplc

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

The Big Ten giving up on trying to make Iowa a "rival" for Nebraska is not falling.  I'd call it a raving success, actually.

I'm fine with NU not having a true rival in the Big Ten at this point.  NU came into the conference with teams having existing rivalries, and those things can't be forced.

If NU wants to have a rivalry with Wisconsin, NU needs to start beating the Badgers and winning the division.

• Plus1 1

What are peoples definition of a rivalry? Im just curious because since Ive been alive people keep saying Nebraska has been forced into rivalries and does not have a true rival. Colorado, Iowa, etc. But

most people want one with Wisconsin. Only problem is they kick our butt every year and think of us as some of you think of Iowa and Colorado...

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Rike Miley said:

What are peoples definition of a rivalry? Im just curious because since Ive been alive people keep saying Nebraska has been forced into rivalries and does not have a true rival. Colorado, Iowa, etc. But

most people want one with Wisconsin. Only problem is they kick our butt every year and think of us as some of you think of Iowa and Colorado...

I would define a rivalry as a team that you want to beat most in that given year, and it was an opponent built on hatred.  When I was a kid, the Oklahoma rivalry was everything to me.  Colorado did become a rival for me as OU struggled in the 90s, and NU stopped playing them every year in the Big 12.  In the Big Ten, NU doesn't have a main rival.

Just now, Huskerlambs said:

I miss the Big 12.  (Truth be told, I miss the Big 8.)  We left that conference because Texas was taking over, but we have NO influence in this conference.  The special time for the Thanksgiving Weekend has been a cherished tradition in my family for years, but now it's gone.

I am with you.  I am very nostalgic about the old Big 8.  Now, I realize that the Big 8 wouldn't have been able to survive in the current collegiate landscape, but the Big 8 was such a tidy conference, with all the teams close together, and years of history together.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskerlambs said:

I miss the Big 12.  (Truth be told, I miss the Big 8.)  We left that conference because Texas was taking over, but we have NO influence in this conference.  The special time for the Thanksgiving Weekend has been a cherished tradition in my family for years, but now it's gone.

I'm fine being an equal member with an equal say instead of being the school that tells everyone else what to do.

• Plus1 2