If your're gonna fire Riley.....

4 minutes ago, wiuhusker said:

I realize this is a pipe dream but I think SE should at least call Stanford and see if David Shaw has any interest. Given the type of football he likes to play he would be the ideal fit and I think the whole fanbase could get behind him. Nothing against any of the other candidates but you're going to have a split fanbase with anyone else except for maybe Frost. 

He's going to say no. It would be a downgrade from what he has there. He consistently gets the best Olinemen in the country and that's required for him to run his offense. 

Yeah, I dig David Shaw :D

If it comes to it, I hope we can get someone like that. Even then, it's a roll of the dice. Who knows. Anyone could succeed or fail here. It's not (entirely) a matter of how good they are as coaches. So hire guys in this mold who will represent Nebraska well, support them while they're here, give them ample time and space, and make changes when a new direction is needed. At some point we'll find someone quite good. I don't think there's a real shortcut to this.

6 minutes ago, wiuhusker said:

I realize this is a pipe dream but I think SE should at least call Stanford and see if David Shaw has any interest. Given the type of football he likes to play he would be the ideal fit and I think the whole fanbase could get behind him. Nothing against any of the other candidates but you're going to have a split fanbase with anyone else except for maybe Frost. 

I'd be surprised if SE gets the opportunity to f#@& up another hire.

• Plus1 4
Just now, girlknowsfootball said:

He's going to say no. It would be a downgrade from what he has there. He consistently gets the best Olinemen in the country and that's required for him to run his offense. 

It could be viewed as a downgrade. But from a coaches standpoint would you rather deal with Stanford's or Nebraska's admissions office to get athletes in the door? And with the tradition Nebraska has on the O-line I would think he would be able to bring the top talent to Lincoln with him. 

I think that's reactionary. SE's doing a good, professional job with the department. The same AD who hired Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, Brady Hoke, etc, went on to hire their successors. We take it out on Steve Pederson, fairly, but the "fire AD" thing seems a bit more uniquely Nebraska to me.

Let's say Riley flames out here. We might get the next one right. Of course we could fire SE, too, but where does that kind of pivot take us? I mean, I'd agree this would be absolutely necessary if we needed a "Nebraska guy" to "hire a coach who will bring back the option", or some variant thereof.

• Plus1 1

I mentioned a few candidates in a different thread (I honestly don't remember which one). Here's a few broken into tiers with some new additions. I'm purposely not including Scott Frost just because everyone is mentioning him. These are the guys to consider in addition to Frost. 

1) Guys that won't go to Nebraska, but at least call them and make them say no.

Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops

2) Guys that still may not leave, but are more likely than the guys in tier 1.

Justin Fuente, Mike Gundy or Dan Mullen

3) Guys that are at a new job but Nebraska should consider stealing if said guys continue to win.

Jeff Brohm, P.J. Fleck or Mike Norvell

1 minute ago, Hans Gruber said:

I mentioned a few candidates in a different thread (I honestly don't remember which one). Here's a few broken into tiers with some new additions. I'm purposely not including Scott Frost just because everyone is mentioning him. These are the guys to consider in addition to Frost. 

1) Guys that won't go to Nebraska, but at least call them and make them say no.

Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops

2) Guys that still may not leave, but are more likely than the guys in tier 1.

Justin Fuente, Mike Gundy or Dan Mullen

3) Guys that are at a new job but Nebraska should consider stealing if said guys continue to win.

Jeff Brohm, P.J. Fleck or Mike Norvell

I want Nebraska's next head coach to be (relatively) young, innovative on offense and have a record of success at a small school and/or experience in a place that's tough to win.

Other than Stoops, I think the rest of these guys meet my criteria and have been successful at coaching FBS football. 

Riley is in a situation right now where he would have to do something pretty special the last 9 - 10 games of this season to keep his job.

So....assuming that doesn't happen.

I want a successful coach from probably a non power 5 program to come in.  BUT....the biggest thing I want is an O line coach that is proven to a REALLY GOOD O line coach and one that can recruit good linemen and coach them.

I'm tired of waiting, wishing, hoping....trying to convince myself.....that the O line is improved or are improving.

Yes, there are situations where the staff could do a much better job putting them into a winning situation.  And, there are some plays where something else happened that made them look bad.....BUT......they still had a horrible game and there needs to be improvement here.

We should not be talking about if the O line was good or not against Northern Illinois.

1 minute ago, zoogs said:

I think that's reactionary. SE's doing a good, professional job with the department. The same AD who hired Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, Brady Hoke, etc, went on to hire their successors. We take it out on Steve Pederson, fairly, but the "fire AD" thing seems a bit more uniquely Nebraska to me.

Let's say Riley flames out here. We might get the next one right. Of course we could fire SE, too, but where does that kind of pivot take us? I mean, I'd agree this would be absolutely necessary if we needed a "Nebraska guy" to "hire a coach who will bring back the option", or some variant thereof.

Step 1 is to go out and get a proven, respected, good recruiting OL coach who is a good developer. Who did bilema have when he was at Wisconsin? Who has been good at Stanford and Iowa? 

Step 2 is to close out this recruiting class with top of the line skills players with the good recruiters we already have and then land a huge immediate playmaker at a position of need like Parsons. (WR - Jmoore, CBrown, JHall, ICrocker, TBush, etc) (DB - CWilliams, Bookie, BAddison, KGervin, MGoodrich, etc) 

Step 3 is to improve. 

It would be nice to have a coach who has ties to the West (think that CalNebraska pipeline that had started)

ties to the midwest - who understands the challenges and culture

ties to the recruiting hotbeds of the south.

A guy who has been mentored by the best and

understands what it takes to draw kids in wt the promise of the NFL

Who could that be.............

Scott Frost - Coached at Oregon - ties to the west and the recruiting hot bed of Calif. 

Scott Frost -  NC at Nebraska - he knows the Midwest culture, landscape and tradition

Scott Frost - ties to the south - doing a good job thus far at UCF - making recruiting inroads.

Scott Frost - mentored by Walsh, Osborne, Belichick, Kelly and others 

Scott Frost - he played in the NFL

Ok, he is one that I favor but I know there are good and maybe better arguments for a coach that has been a HC wt longer HC experience  at a lower tiered program or a  Power 5 school. 

22 minutes ago, girlknowsfootball said:

The whole offensive line needs a rebuild, the tight end position needs a rebuild, the OLB needs a rebuild, and the WR's need a rebuild. Bring in a whole new offense and defense again and you're going to need a couple of years for players to learn it and get good at it. The new HC would need to be similar to MR's offense enough to not need to scrap players for different kinds of players. As for D.C., don't judge diaco until he has had two full seasons here. 

Offensive line = talent wise....no.  What they are doing...yes.

Outside Linebacker = Talent wise....maybe.  What they are doing....maybe.

WR = Talent wise....no.  What they are doing.....maybe

These positions have a level of talent at them to the point where they should be performing better than they are.  A total rebuild of all those positions talent wise is not needed to play respectable football.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Offensive line = talent wise....no.  What they are doing...yes.

Outside Linebacker = Talent wise....maybe.  What they are doing....maybe.

WR = Talent wise....no.  What they are doing.....maybe

These positions have a level of talent at them to the point where they should be performing better than they are.  A total rebuild of all those positions talent wise is not needed to play respectable football.

When I say rebuild for WR - I mean we only have 5-6 scholarship guys and 1 is hurt. We need to rebuild quality depth and not have to play young walk onsins who are unproven as our second stringers.