If your're gonna fire Riley.....

51 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I think that's reactionary. SE's doing a good, professional job with the department. The same AD who hired Charlie Strong, Will Muschamp, Brady Hoke, etc, went on to hire their successors. We take it out on Steve Pederson, fairly, but the "fire AD" thing seems a bit more uniquely Nebraska to me.

Let's say Riley flames out here. We might get the next one right. Of course we could fire SE, too, but where does that kind of pivot take us? I mean, I'd agree this would be absolutely necessary if we needed a "Nebraska guy" to "hire a coach who will bring back the option", or some variant thereof.

The AD's who hired those two guys did not hire their replacements.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I want Nebraska's next head coach to be (relatively) young, innovative on offense and have a record of success at a small school and/or experience in a place that's tough to win.

My problem with guys like that is that often their whole system is built around compensating for poor athletes, and then it's like they don't even know what to do with great athletes when they can get them. I'd like a guy that at least has some recent experience as a coordinator at a top program.

1 hour ago, girlknowsfootball said:

Dan Mullen didn't help Miss St succeed, Dak Prescott did. He was stealthy good and underrated.

If you look at Mullen's track record with coaching QBs you could make the case that Dan Mullen helped Dak Prescott succeed.

Miss State has been to 20 bowls with 12 wins in their history.  Mullen is responsible for 5 of the wins in 7 bowl appearances.

1 minute ago, Xmas32 said:

I'm not sure if you could get him to leave due to family reasons but kicking the tires on Kyle Whittingham from Utah is worth a shot.  I've always enjoyed their brand of football.  Edit...hmmm he's 57, that might be tricky.

I didn't realize Whittingham has been at Utah since Urban Meyer left.  Whittingham is also Mormon, so I don't see him leaving Utah (the school and the state).

Ok.  Has Jimbo Fisher won a playoff game with out Winston at QB?  NO.  Will Dabo win the NC this season after losing a Qb, RB, and defensive lineman?  Probably not, but he didn't go this last weekend and lay an egg.  QB looked really good.  Clemson, Alabama, Florida St, Michigan and others reload.  Even if your reloading, that doesn't mean the next waive of players will win right away.  Watson didn't win as Clemsons Qb in his first attempt ........but was close.  

Criteria for hiring coaches on some scales on this thread are boarder line non-sense.  Clemson is squarely Dabo's program.  All his recruits.  That one caught my attention.  What has Dabo proved?  good grief!

• Plus1 1

Realistically-

Fuente- ACC with Va Tech, why leave a conference with its upside for one that is controlled by Michigan and Ohio ST?

Miles- washed out.  Best days or in the rear view mirror.

Surprise, surprise- Minnesota and Purdue are in the same conference.  How often do you see any coaches go with in a conference for jobs?  

No matter who is the next coach, can't keep hiring rejects from other programs.  A fired coach has baggage.  Most couldn't win enough.  We have gone those routes already.  They haven't worked.  Its time to find that jewel in the rough.  That might be Scott Frost, but you can't base what happens at UCF on how do he is or could be.  They don't have the facilities, money or tradition.  They are 5th mouth to feed in the state of Florida.  So if they do go 7-5, that pretty darn good, but will Husker fans look at and say hes just a .500 coach?