Scott Frost

Whistlepig

2 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

That is a sales point but that only sells to the "right" kind of player ...usually NOT the ones from the hood, which is fine because they do sometimes have issues we don't want to deal with.

however, in the past we've gotten a few to buy in- usually because of their mothers and the fact that USC-Florida St.-Alabama etc slow played or didn't have room for them

Yeah, but with recruiting you have to recruit a kid that is a good fit for the program, along with talent they have to have the right mindset and heart. Wisconsin has a dang good program because they recruit kids that fit their program. If those kids don't fit, you don't recruit them.

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

And to build off that Seattle, WA isolation. Seattle to LA is about 16 hours. Lincoln to LA is about 21 hours. Either way you got a long car drive or a flight that is different by about an hour. Lincoln also much closer to Texas, and only 21 hours from Florida. Lincoln is also close to Illinois.

You may say it is easier for UW to get southern cal kids then Nebraska because UW can sell playing in So cal and their kids hometown where family and friends can see them play, but UW Doesn't always play USC or UCLA, it is on a rotation and also every team is on TV now so your friends and family can see you play on TV every game. UW also seems to be able to recruit Texas and Florida.

you need to work for Riley as a recruiter

1 minute ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Yeah, but with recruiting you have to recruit a kid that is a good fit for the program, along with talent they have to have the right mindset and heart. Wisconsin has a dang good program because they recruit kids that fit their program. If those kids don't fit, you don't recruit them.

we are basically in agreement, as my original reply point has been divaricated by innocuous parsing of the OT

• Plus1 1

Just now, Hayseed said:

I think he believes places like Norman,Ok and Ann Arbor, Mi are more attractive than 300,000 population Lincoln? He's wrong of course.....Lincoln is an athlete's dream. They just don't know it until they visit.

Well I absolutely agree with what you are saying if you aren't being sarcastic. 300,000 people in Lincoln vs 122,000 people in Norman, or 120,000 people in Ann Arbor, or a bigger city with 500,00 people, the city offers the same for an athlete then any other city. Instead maybe you get 20 more clubs/bars in a bigger city then Lincoln? I don't see what would be so much more intriguing going to a city with 600,000 people as opposed to 300,000.

Just now, In the Deed the Glory said:

In fariness, Norman is basically Oklahoma City.  I think the coach is much more of an indicator of how desirable a place is.

OKC is a dump of a city. And again what does OKC offer that Lincoln doesn't? Lincoln is way cleaner of a place then OKC as well. I mean I guess you can catch OKC Thunder games.

36 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

It is only remote by thought. If you have never been to Lincoln you may think it's just some sort of farming town in the middle of nowhere. The bottom line is, you come to Lincoln to play football you as a 18 year old can be king of not just a city but an entire state. Nebraska's fan base makes it a very unique place.

if city life was everything to a recruit, then UNLV should be a power, but Nebraska offers everything and if not more then places considered to be in a "big time city" Nebraska offers. In theory Nebraska offers great athletic facilities to better your game and prepare you for the next level. It also offers great tradition and history that you can be apart of.

Look at Washington. Seattle is a great city, it's a big city, but a kid in Seattle can do the same thing as a kid in Lincoln, Nebraska. And you want to talk about isolation, even though Seattle is a big city, it is geographically isolated. That place is tucked away in the far pacific northwest. What does Washington offer a college football player that Nebraska doesn't? You can't be a big guy in city in Seattle, because no matter how great you are the Seahawks run that place. You don't have better facilities then Nebraska, you don't have the rich history as Nebraska. Bigger city? Sure, but essentially the same things to do in Lincoln. Again, if big time fun cities had anything to do with decision UNLV would be a football and basketball powerhouse.

They were a basketball powerhouse until a weasel named Masamino fired the shark.  He literally had it out for Jerry the minute Jerry became the most important person at UNLV.  Back then LV was only around 600k people as well btw.

4 minutes ago, BoneyardHusker said:

Well I absolutely agree with what you are saying if you aren't being sarcastic. 300,000 people in Lincoln vs 122,000 people in Norman, or 120,000 people in Ann Arbor, or a bigger city with 500,00 people, the city offers the same for an athlete then any other city. Instead maybe you get 20 more clubs/bars in a bigger city then Lincoln? I don't see what would be so much more intriguing going to a city with 600,000 people as opposed to 300,000.

No, I'm not being sarcastic at all....I tell people this all the time. It's one of our big selling points that they think they're coming to a barnyard on a windswept cornfield and land in a Sherwood Forest city with amazing athletic facilities and academic support.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Hayseed said:

Another thing is our campus is a short walk to a bustling downtown with a renovated entertainment district that rivals anything the other places have.There's nothing to hang your head over here.

Visited Lincoln last season for my first ever Nebraska game and first time in Lincoln since I was like 4 years old. It was a great time from experience in the city to game day atmosphere. Of course I am bias since I hold my passion for Nebraska football to that someone may hold their religion, but nonetheless, I couldn't help but think what a great place to attend school.

• Plus1 1