Trump's Tax Plan

sho

1 hour ago, GBR0988 said:

It’s great they voted “NO.” That’s government overreach. This is supposed to be a free country. The government doesn’t own these cooperations, the people who took all the risk to start the company or the shareholders who invested their personal wealth own them.

By the same token, it's completely fair when a bunch of normal, salt of the earth folks get angry when an entire party's worth of politicians who pledged to help them had the opportunity but sold them out to massive corporations who are already making record profits in Trump's economy. 

I personally feel lied to. I don't believe these people as far as I can throw them, but they've said:

A) I'd get a tax cut.

B) This will herald in unprecedented growth.

C) This will pay for itself.

From everything I've read, none of that is likely true. I'm going to wind up getting screwed so a bunch of wealthy donors, execs and special interests can profit?

I hope they lose a generation's worth of voters on this rushed piece of garbage.

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, greenmonkey51 said:

Question, with the budget fight coming up this month, why aren't the democrats saying if this tax bill passes the government will shutdown. I know they have other issues, but this would seem to be the one to really go to the mat over. 

I think they've got other priorities. After watching the updates roll in tonight, it seems they are content to allow the GOP to place an anchor around their own neck and merely want to use this against them. 

In the end, the Dems fought, but McConnell is going to push everything he can through via reconciliation with 51 votes, hypocrisy be damned.

This bill is already stunningly unpopular for a tax cut. I saw polls pegging it at 25% approve/52% disapproval tonight.

For all the hemming and hawing about the numerous flaws and warts of this bill from "dissatisfied" Republican senators, only two voted against it. Letting this fail was never in their calculus. They'd get there by hook or by crook.

Not much Dems could do, so they may as well do the next best thing and turn this into a cudgel. With any luck this will become the Republicans' Obamacare. At least the ACA helped people it said it wanted to help. It moved us forward as a society by increasing access to healthcare for millions, even with it's flaws.

This tax plan is a brightly burning dumpster fire. They lied about who they wanted to help, rushed this through as quickly as possible due to sheer unpopularity with only lobbyists to help them, dumped it on colleagues as late as possible and they're propping it's purported effects AND cause with phony numbers. This is pouring kerosene on income inequality and lighting it ablaze with a smouldering cigar big.

It's going to be satisfying to watch paid lose their jobs over this horrible bill.

If the Dems are going to force a shut down, it's going to be for other priorities. Saving the DACA kids. Protecting funding for Planned Parenthood. Blocking funding for the stupid wall.

By the way, speaking of McConnell, these are quite the quotes from his post-vote presser. How do you deal with people who won't even acknowledge reality? He's lying and betting people are too stupid to realize it.

The dems need to go on a huge campaign ... doing personal examples and mailing or emails every Republican in the country about what this means to them personally.

Ex.  The bill passed last night will translate for you Joe Smith:

Annual Income $45,000

Annual Taxes today $2

Annual Taxes in 2018 $17

Annual Taxes in 2020  $39

Annual Taxes in 2050 $434

Annual Healthcare costs today: $100

Annual Heathcare Costs in 2018:

etc etc

Until this resonates for people personally they will believe the bs that their leadership is spewing.  By the time it hits their pocketbook a Dem or Liberatarian will be heading up the country and they'll blame them.  We are a stupid nation full of stupid people.

A free country for everyone is not a place where legislation is written for those who can purchase it. Lobbying dollars influence on legislation is in no way fair to an everyday American who isn't going to donate hundreds of thousands or more to our government. This is not democracy when 70% of bills that lobbyists want to go through do, and nearly any bill lobbyists don't want to pass is voted down. Wealth is crafting our legislation, 90% of people aren't appropriately represented. 

This tax bill is a prime example

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 3