Las Vegas mass shooting

Time for some reasonable gun control laws.  For anyone to get these types of weapons is beyond what was meant by the 2nd amendment IMHO.   This would be like allowing private citizens back in that time to own cannons and cannon balls - mass casualty weapons.  These automatic weapons are mass casualty weapons if used for those purposes. 

• Plus1 1

ISIS claiming this guy just converted to Islam a few months ago, but no evidence that is true, so far.  I guess ISIS has lied about stuff like that before.  I'm not even going to look at FOX News.  I'm sure they have all kinds of conspiracy theories that involve Hillary or Obama.

3 minutes ago, unlfan said:

The government has nukes, tanks, etc. Should we allow citizens to purchase nukes in case the government wants to take them over?

Dated concept from 1776.

Yep.

The belief that the 2nd Amendment should continue to exist because it protects citizens from a hostile government is laughable at this point. If the government wanted to take us over, it would happen.

However, it would require a complicit Armed Forces. In the event Trump or some hypothetical future loony toon president goes off their rocker and tries to declare martial law, they'd have to try to seize force through the military. There's little to no chance they'd comply en masse.

This defense of the 2A is outdated hogwash at this point.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

ISIS claiming this guy just converted to Islam a few months ago, but no evidence that is true, so far.  I guess ISIS has lied about stuff like that before.  I'm not even going to look at FOX News.  I'm sure they have all kinds of conspiracy theories that involve Hillary or Obama.

ISIS does this regularly for every terror attack pretty much anywhere they have influence. They're a propaganda outlet who should be ignored. If subsequent actual digging proves this to be true, it's one of the very few times they've told the truth.

9 minutes ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

Be careful on Twitter; the crazies are out in full force. 

18 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good article.  Here's the last three sentences of it that kind of sum up the gun control problem nicely:

Americans by and large support policies that reduce access to guns. But once these policies are proposed, they’re broadly spun by politicians and pundits into attempts to “take away your guns.” So nothing gets done, and preventable deaths keep occurring.

Yup.  The politicians are bowing to special interests, and effectively brainwashing the public.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good source Knapp.  Based on # 3 reason - Wy and Idaho are the states to move to - no mass shootings there.   However, # 5 refutes that logic as Wy and Id are among the leaders in the deaths by gun as they are among the leaders in gun ownership.   Thus - where guns are, deaths will follow -- period.

Time for the Republican party to get off of the nipple of the NRA.  Time for true statesmen and women to stand up and push to end this madness. As William Wilberforce was  a voice in the darkness in England's parliament in the early 1800s that eventually ended the slave trade, it is time for someone within republican circles to lead the way.  I say republican circles because we already know that the Dems for the most part are on the right side of the issue but it hasn't been enough. It is time for someone in the majority party to stand up and sever the strings to the NRA and their narrative and do the right thing. 

Let's be honest here. The idea that the 2nd amendment to withstand a tyrannical govt in the modern era is a non-starter.  If we had a real tyrannical govt, what arms that the NRA wants to protect will be of little resistance (other than guerrilla warfare) to the weapons available to a tyrannical govt.  Time to end this time of logic. Yes, the colonists could wage a guerrilla war against the British but outside of a cannon the weapons were not that much different.  Today, that argument is a non-starter and is delusional thinking at best and treasonous at worse.

Reminder that both Pew and Gallup have universal background checks polling at nearly 90% support (85% & 86% respectively). Those numbers are from 2015.

But that won't happen because an entire party of moral cowards are bought and paid for by the gun lobby and refuse to even consider ANY amount of gun control. They go the other way and demonize it as mythical libruhls comin' fer yer guns.

From what I heard, POTUS didn't even bring up guns in his address. Shows you how far that influence spreads. He's not going to acknowledge it either.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, we aren't.

You are right.  The key distinction is that America is the only modern industrialized 1st-world country with this problem.  We match up very well (in gun death rates) with many third-world war-torn countries.

Is that something to be proud of?

• Plus1 3