With the schedule next year

To be clear I'm not opposed to getting rid of Riley but saying he wouldn't win 6 next year is nothing but pure speculation and not very accurate speculation at that.

Edit: if I had to guess they would win 8 at least. I don't actually think we would win 11 next year under Riley. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

To be clear I'm not opposed to getting rid of Riley but saying he wouldn't win 6 next year is nothing but pure speculation and not very accurate speculation at that.

Actually, the way this season is currently on track, it could be much more than speculation. 

It might be what he's done two out of three years.  Thus, it would be the trend.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Actually, the way this season is currently on track, it could be much more than speculation. 

It might be what he's done two out of three years.  Thus, it would be the trend.

Whatever you say. I think we would improve given we return nearly all contributors, but maybe we wouldn't. It has to be great for everybody who was against hiring Riley, I'm sure those people feel very smart now. And of course any inkling of faith in Riley would just be stupid at this point, I mean he is a loser(explicitly directed at coaching ability) right? 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Whatever you say. I think we would improve given we return nearly all contributors, but maybe we wouldn't. It has to be great for everybody who was against hiring Riley, I'm sure those people feel very smart now. And of course any inkling of faith in Riley would just be stupid at this point, I mean he is a loser(explicitly directed at coaching ability) right? 

No, it doesn't make you stupid.

Questionable judgement perhaps, but not stupid.  ;)

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

No, it doesn't make you stupid.

Questionable judgement perhaps, but not stupid.  ;)

Well I doubt we will ever see if it is questionable judgement or not. I think the next guy is going to walk in here and do awesome (granted we get the right guy) with this team Riley put together, but I doubt he(MR) will ever get any credit. Not that it matters though, I'll be glad to see us headed in the right direction. I think we are getting there roster wise though we need to finish on important positions this class(OL) regardless of who the coach is. 

11 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Well I doubt we will ever see if it is questionable judgement or not. I think the next guy is going to walk in here and do awesome (granted we get the right guy) with this team Riley put together, but I doubt he(MR) will ever get any credit. Not that it matters though, I'll be glad to see us headed in the right direction. I think we are getting there roster wise though we need to finish on important positions this class(OL) regardless of who the coach is. 

I think you are giving more credit to Riley's recruiting results than he actually deserves.  There has been a lot of hype.  There have been some big time guys visit.  But the actual results have been significantly lacking the hype they've received.  

He's basically been recruiting at the same level Pelini was.  Neither of his two classes have been nearly as highly-rated as Pelini's best two classes.  This year's looked more promising early but has been languishing for months.  When we had seven (or so) four-stars out of about 10 commits on our way to a class of about 15, it looked like this class was really going to be the significant improvement that has been advertised.  Then we lost two four-stars.  Then we took a couple mid-three-stars.  Now we're probably going to be taking 19-20 instead of 15 which makes it tougher to keep pulling four-stars all the way through.  Then the season started.

Also, they have left us short of talent by not filling classes.  We started Fall Camp with 77 scholarship players.  They have failed to really even bother to try to recruit a couple JUCOs in each class to help fill in gaps.  It's been a long ways from the praise that has been heaped on it.

I'm sure the Riley apologists will like to say "well, if Riley hadn't been fired, this class would have been really good."  But it's hard to recruit top classes to Nebraska when you're competing for conference championships.  It's almost impossible when you're putting up .500 records.  

This class would be solid if we would have had a decent season.  But even then - by your statement - it would be another couple years before they would be contributing much (I don't agree with that but that's your story).  Thus you'd be expecting a couple more years of this same type of seasons before we could expect improvement.

I don't buy that.

• Plus1 1