People hate nice homes?

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is what I've never understood.  If someone lives in a 20,000 square foot house and they can afford it....who gives a rip?  It doesn't affect you.

In fact, the contractors and laborers that built the house probably are very glad that person spent so much money on their house.

Yeah, but those contractors and laborers are a$$hole$ too, because they have money and probably nice houses now too.

It's like what GSG originally said,  it's not people being jealous, it's a critique on the lack of architectural principle that please the eye. It's basic concepts, that we don't think about for homes, but anyone who remembers composition from art class should be familiar with. Symmetry, balance, flow, things like that.

I couldn't sleep one night and stumbled on the mcmansion subreddit and read through a lot of it. I thought it was pompous at first, but it makes a lot of sense from an artistic standpoint. Older homes from the early 20th century and earlier seem to have more balance than moder ones, and be more appealing to the eye.

11 hours ago, ZRod said:

It's like what GSG originally said,  it's not people being jealous, it's a critique on the lack of architectural principle that please the eye. It's basic concepts, that we don't think about for homes, but anyone who remembers composition from art class should be familiar with. Symmetry, balance, flow, things like that.

I couldn't sleep one night and stumbled on the mcmansion subreddit and read through a lot of it. I thought it was pompous at first, but it makes a lot of sense from an artistic standpoint. Older homes from the early 20th century and earlier seem to have more balance than moder ones, and be more appealing to the eye.

If you ever watch House Hunters there are tons of people that agree with you and look for those older homes that they can fix up because of the look.

Something that's always bugged me: You have the money to build a 2,500+ ft/2 home, and you put it right next to the Interstate.  There's a home between Lincoln and Grand Island that is easily 2,000 ft/2 and it's not 200 yards away from the busiest, noisiest traffic corridor in the state, right off the Giltner exit.

If you've got the money to build that house, you've got the money to buy land a mile or more away from I-80.  You build right there, you can't open your windows at night without hearing interstate noise, and god forbid a truck comes off the highway and rumbles that Jake brake to slow down at 1am. 

That I do not understand.

47 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Something that's always bugged me: You have the money to build a 2,500+ ft/2 home, and you put it right next to the Interstate.  There's a home between Lincoln and Grand Island that is easily 2,000 ft/2 and it's not 200 yards away from the busiest, noisiest traffic corridor in the state, right off the Giltner exit.

If you've got the money to build that house, you've got the money to buy land a mile or more away from I-80.  You build right there, you can't open your windows at night without hearing interstate noise, and god forbid a truck comes off the highway and rumbles that Jake brake to slow down at 1am. 

Can't agree more.  Unless it just happens to not be that loud but I would think it would suck.  

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I always think the same thing. In college I lived in a house that backed up to I-80 near NW 8th street. It sucked! Now I live in a condone that's a quarter mile from a major express way here in Detroit and I still don't like it that much. There are a lot of trees that cut the noise down, but it still sucks. I can't hear crickets or cicadas at night, and it's rarely completely quiet. Some people don't know the difference though.

Cheaper property tax is why they build there I would assume. That's the long term reason anyway. There are a bunch of nice house on Highway 2 past Old Cheney that are basically the same thing.

Edited by ZRod