Realistic expectations

6 hours ago, spencer7508 said:

At this point in college football what is a realistic expectation in a typical year for Nebraska?

In a video with Colin Cowherd he made a point on big10 coaching. There are a lot of good coaches in the big 10 and its hard to win them all(never expect us to)

At this point I would be happy winning all the non conference games especially the ones that count(UCLA, Miami,Oregon), running over big10 teams that we should beat year in and year out, no blowouts on primetime TV and just beat  Wisconsin/Ohio state once in a while.   

What's your realistic expectation?

Our realistic expectation in this entertainment industry is to look like we belong on the field for the entire game.

It's realistic to expect Nebraska to regularly compete for the division and occasionally win the Conference.  And with some luck, maybe more.  I think you have to look at each year though.  For example, we play three legitimate top-10 teams this year.  We're not a top-10 caliber team this year with the newness still and all the changes, so that's pretty much a guaranteed three losses.  Then who do you play in the non-con?  Oregon this year should have been a win, maybe.  But if we had Oklahoma- probably another loss.  Then, there is some pretty good coaching in this conference, so maybe a Ferentz or Fitzgerald pulls one out on you.  There's another loss.  So just like that you're down to 7-5.  I think we're going to have to accept that 80's and 90's style of having one or two losses a year are gone.  We should absolutely aim to win them all, but to expect it is not realistic.

Nebraska needs to build up a foundation and an identity.  Because we'll never be legitimately competitive as long as we're changing systems and coaches every few years.  We need an Alvarez.  Problem there is: he's the guy who recommended Eichorst, and he didn't turn out to be a very good fit.

Recruiting classes between 20-30 w/ the occasional top 15ish

lose to Illinois, Rutgers, Purdue, NW, Minn, Maryland and Indiana no more than 3 times every 5 years combined.

Be competitive with Ohio State and Michigan (and Penn St., since it looks like they've taken the next step on the field and in recruiting)... Beat them 1 out of 3/4 times

Split w/ Wisc.

Not sure what to expect from Mich. St. & Iowa. Iowa looks to be consistently competitive, but not a top dog... Mich. St. looks to be bouncing back; but how far will they bounce back?

Ideally I'd like to beat Iowa 2/3 times; same w/ Mich. St, unless they return to their form from 3-4 years ago.. then splitting would be OK.

This would have us consistently competing for the division title....

We should be in the B1G CCG 2 of every 5 years, with Wisc getting in 2, and Iowa possibly getting 1 (or Neb. or Wisc gets another).

Those are my 'realistic' expectations.

Let us face the facts. The only thing that Wisconsin has that we do not ARE GOOD COACHES. We have more clutch players than them and a better recruiting class. The only difference is that our coaches are average and mediocre at best. With the right coaches, we should be able to compete for the west every year as the only real competition is Wisconsin, and we should be expected to win the Big 10 at least once every four years and be ranked in the top 25. At this point, I can remember the last time we were ranked in the top 25. In fact, we will not sniff the top 25 unless we get us a REAL COACH and not an average 0.500 Mr. nice guy. I am tired of my Huskers being a laughing stock of the Big 10. I am sure Ohio State will break some records on our backs this Saturday as I am sure Urban A$$wipe Meyers will be wanting to make a statement at our expense. 

• Plus1 3

I agree with most of the answers already said. Here's a realistic expectation that's a bit more abstract. Develop an identity and recruit to that identity. Go back to being the best offensive line school. Or become linebacker U like Penn State used to be. Pick something* though and make it a year-in and year-out strength.

* - preferably not kicker U or punter U

3 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Michigan State in 2011 was probably the last time. The defense had them shut down from the first snap.

Which is so ironic and frustrating because that was one of the very few times that we could say that about a Bo Pelini defense competing in the Big 10. It was practically all down hill from there in big games.

17 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

Realistic expectations for this team are the same as the last 4 to 5 years.  Struggle to win games against Purdue, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Iowa in an attempt get to bowl eligibility and hope to finish 3rd in the B1G West division.

I think that you might have given a description of your prediction versus your expectation.

But, I see what you're saying.

• Plus1 1

I base my predictions on realistic expectations.  :lol:  The goals are higher, but the realistic part of the equation makes me look at what really has been happening.

An expectation is we consistently field hard playing teams that can win the B1G and play in the National Championship; but that's not realistic given how the teams been performing for almost a decade against top tier teams. 

My realistic expectation for this week is Myer does whatever he needs to do to try and get OSU to the playoffs.  He'll shoot for over 60 points and it will take everything in our power to keep the #4 offense in the country (#1 in the B1G) under that number.