USA Today Head Coach Salary Database

Mavric

31 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

Do they do one that compares salary to wins? I'm betting he is relatively expensive when looking at it like that.

I got tired of looking after the top 20, but I'd say we're in a better position than some programs.  Rich Rod is around 6 million with a whopping 56.9% winning percentage at Arizona.  Kirk Ferentz is around 4.5 million for a 59.4% winning percentage at Iowa.  Dan Mullen is around 4.5 million for a 60% winning percentage at Miss. State.  Bert is around 4.2 million with a whopping 46.5% winning percentage at Arkansas.  Butch Jones is around 4.1 million for a 56.9% winning percentage at Tennessee.  Mike Riley is around 2.9 million with a 54.5% winning percentage here.  I'd say to some degree we're getting a bargain!  I didn't put any first or second year coaches up here because that probably isn't a fair comparison.  However, I think it's fair to put anyone on here that's in their third year or longer because Riley's only been here that long. 

There's other names that kind of jump off the page as well once you get below the top 20 but above Riley that have been at their respective program a while but still have losing records like Mark Stoops at Kentucky, Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech, and Lovie Smith at Illinois. 

5 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

There's other names that kind of jump off the page as well once you get below the top 20 but above Riley that have been at their respective program a while but still have losing records like Mark Stoops at Kentucky, Kliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech, and Lovie Smith at Illinois. 

Lovie Smith has the 11th highest buyout. That's a terrible contract for Illinois. 

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmmm.....I remember laughing at Iowa fans when they started paying Ferentz that much.  Now, he is middle of the pack.

Well, they did see a slight bump in his winning percentage.  The big money came from 08' to today.  His career winning percentage at Iowa is 59.4%.  However, his winning percentage from 08' to today is 62.9%.  Unfortunately, it has yielded zero conference titles.  He was better at winning those before he got his big payday.