WR Zavier Betts

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

63 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Betts commit?

• Nebraska
    • Iowa
    • Missouri

This poll is closed to new votes

9 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

My least favorite thing about following recruiting is airing out a kid's academic situation.  I guess it comes with the territory but it's disturbing to me to see strangers discussing the grades of a high school student just to make sure he can qualify to play football.  No one really knows the situation and the ones who do shouldn't be sharing it anyway.

I don’t want to know his grades.  I want to know if he’ll be able to play for Frost.  Vested interest on his academic situation, but most don’t need/want specifics.  it’s Yes or No.  basically.

10 minutes ago, STL Husker said:

My least favorite thing about following recruiting is airing out a kid's academic situation.  I guess it comes with the territory but it's disturbing to me to see strangers discussing the grades of a high school student just to make sure he can qualify to play football.  No one really knows the situation and the ones who do shouldn't be sharing it anyway.

Not my favorite topic either ... but I come down in a different place.

The disturbing part to me me is how many "passes" had to perhaps occur for a kid to get to this level as an athlete and some how slip through the middle and high school years in basic learning for reading, writing and arithmetic.

Again, we don't know what the circumstances are ... but makes me wonder about core parenting, about what teachers were teaching and addressing ... and how many coaches failed in checking on the grades issues before playing the kids in a game.

Go figure.

5 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Not my favorite topic either ... but I come down in a different place.

The disturbing part to me me is how many "passes" had to perhaps occur for a kid to get to this level as an athlete and some how slip through the middle and high school years in basic learning for reading, writing and arithmetic.

Again, we don't know what the circumstances are ... but makes me wonder about core parenting, about what teachers were teaching and addressing ... and how many coaches failed in checking on the grades issues before playing the kids in a game.

Go figure.

That does happen but what happens more often is 9th grade being a killer for some kids.  They f#&% up 9th grade and are playing (NCAA) catch up the rest of the time.  

So what you are looking at is 9th grade being s#!tty

10th grade being "okay"

11th grade being "okay"

And you are still stuck because of that 9th grade and 12th grade is now the year that you have to retake some classes.

With that said, I did teach at a school where I had 8th graders that flat out could not read or write.  It was nuts.

59 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I’ve seen multiple times about academic concerns.  How concerned should we be on this one?

Sounds like he has quite a bit of work to do.  I would say the indication is he has as much work to do as anyone we would take a commitment from.

Not that he won't get there.  But it's probably one of those things where we won't really know until at least NSD (if we let him sign) and possibly not until a year from now.

37 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I don’t want to know his grades.  I want to know if he’ll be able to play for Frost.  Vested interest on his academic situation, but most don’t need/want specifics.  it’s Yes or No.  basically.

They wouldn't take him in the class if there wasn't a positive outlook. Kid has work to do, but he has this summer, all year and next summer to do it. 

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like he has quite a bit of work to do.  I would say the indication is he has as much work to do as anyone we would take a commitment from.

Not that he won't get there.  But it's probably one of those things where we won't really know until at least NSD (if we let him sign) and possibly not until a year from now.

7 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

They wouldn't take him in the class if there wasn't a positive outlook. Kid has work to do, but he has this summer, all year and next summer to do it. 

Thank you, both - this is what I was looking for.

20 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

I gotta agree with this. Also Frost seems to have a history of having good judgement on kids who are academic risks. We have had a few in question in his first classes and most have qualified. Watts is the only one I can think of who did not work out.

12 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I gotta agree with this. Also Frost seems to have a history of having good judgement on kids who are academic risks. We have had a few in question in his first classes and most have qualified. Watts is the only one I can think of who did not work out.

Watt and Canty, but you can contribute that too rushing since it was the first year. If Washington, Thompkins, and Mills can do it, Betts can as well.

2 hours ago, STL Husker said:

It’s my second least favorite thing, right behind talking about injuries.  :(

• Mavric changed the title to WR Zavier Betts