Post Game Speech

First off, happy the program won. I noticed something post-game and wanted to get others thoughts. I've never figured out how to embed tweets from mobile so if someone would like to post them, please do. 

I watched Riley's locker room speech. He said some good things, some corny things, stumbled through some, then did the hip hop hoorays which are funny. 

But then I watched Matt Campbell's. Totally different feel. I just sat there in awe. Well versed, delivered a great message that you could feel he meant.

Maybe doesn't mean anything, but if those speeches are even a fraction of a glimpse into the daily culture being set within the two programs....ISU is headed to a better place. 

• Plus1 5

5 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

First off, happy the program won. I noticed something post-game and wanted to get others thoughts. I've never figured out how to embed tweets from mobile so if someone would like to post them, please do. 

I watched Riley's locker room speech. He said some good things, some corny things, stumbled through some, then did the hip hop hoorays which are funny. 

But then I watched Matt Campbell's. Totally different feel. I just sat there in awe. Well versed, delivered a great message that you could feel he meant.

Maybe doesn't mean anything, but if those speeches are even a fraction of a glimpse into the daily culture being set within the two programs....ISU is headed to a better place. 

You should also look at some of SF's speeches and interviews- In the coaching and culture arena we're playing checkers those guys play chess

I had to chuckle at his post game interview with BTN.  Basically he said, "We pretty much got to a point there where we had to throw it all the time."

Was that because we had 4 yards rushing in the first and second quarters or because we were down by 12 with 11 minutes to go in the game?

They need another bye week before Northwestern.

Edited by InOmaha
  • Plus1 1

I didn't watch the presser, so this is coming from an uneducated perspective specifically relating to the presser.  However, body language, posture etc go a long way in installing confidence.  When one is called upon to be an instructor, or for all intensive purposes, a subject matter expert (SME), you have to let the respective audience know your credentials and convey the reason why you are "the guy".  It's not rocket science, nor bragging.  Just a blurb about why you are there.  The audience then decides to "buy in" based upon your ability to convey the message, observing you "practice what you preach" and see that they are improving and taking the the classroom lessons into real world applicability.

Riley's body language does not convey confidence to me.  When I see the games, whatever we are doing in practice doesn't translate onto the field.  Not everyone is a great public speaker, but I do think that the often "haphazard" execution of the fundamentals, the constant penalties and miscues and no accountability is a microcosm of how the practices and program are under Riley.  

Watched some games yesterday.  Harbaugh pulls O'Korn, ASU pulled one of their guys for a few series last night after mistakes....Gates has started 31 games IIRC.  How many has he ever been pulled from?  None.  Conrad?  The DB's.....Lee.  Even to settle them down and coach them up.  If not for injury, Farniok, Decker and Jaimes wouldnt see the field this year.  This goes back to paragraph 1 above.....It goes back to the audience (team) believing you are the guy to get them there.  I don't see anything that leads me to believe the guys are "positive" Riley and Co are the guys...Why bust my hump, when guys in front of me continually blow assignments and are continued to play.  If I'm Gates, I'm questioning why in year 3 with the same coach am I getting my a$$ handed to me by "inferior" DL......That's seeing the practice not translating to the playing field.  Doubt creeps in because the SME has no idea.  The same speech that doesn't translate...

Watching Miami vs UNC. UNC implodes at the end with a chance to win.  Mack Brown says when a team is losing lie UNC (0-6 game time) they find a way to lose.  Inferring its starting to be who they are.  NU is becoming that way IMHO.  If not for a Herculean effort by the O on that last drive and Purdue going into prevent, we lose last night.  To Purdue with our grand total of 44 yards rushing...

• Plus1 5
1 minute ago, InOmaha said:

I had to chuckle at his post game interview with BTN.  Basically he said, "We pretty much got to a point there where we had to throw it all the time."

Was that because we had 4 yards rushing in the first and second quarters or because we were down by 12 with 11 minutes to go in the game?

They need another bye week before Northwestern.

I saw that and shook my head.  Dude has no clue...None.  He wanted to air it out from the start.  He has since arriving here in 2015......He might be a really nice guy, but he's just not the right guy for NU..

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, lo country said:

I saw that and shook my head.  Dude has no clue...None.  He wanted to air it out from the start.  He has since arriving here in 2015......He might be a really nice guy, but he's just not the right guy for NU..

You'd think that their inability to run would be concerning to the staff and a priority to fix.  At this point it's obviously something they have no idea how to fix and they are content to use it as an excuse to pass.

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

You'd think that their inability to run would be concerning to the staff and a priority to fix.  At this point it's obviously something they have no idea how to fix and they are content to use it as an excuse to pass.

Yep.  Remember before last year Riley said he wanted to be in the top three in the B1G in rushing?

We're currently #13, four feet per game ahead of Illinois for the cellar.  And you see how that's working for us.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 4skers89 said:

A good first step in ATTEMPTING to fix these issues would have been being open to focus attacking the perimeter with runs other than a jet sweep(which have vanished lately).  It has been proven game after game the only run play they appear to practice, you know the one that obviously is intended to go into the center or either guards butt, is hopeless due to any lack of push by those guys.  With Decker at Center there has been improvement, but with COnrad.....well I’ll stop with that.

We heard recently Cav has been working with pulling the OL.  Haven’t seen a sniff of that recently.  Sweeps, stretch runs anything with a lead blocker and a pulled or two, anything to push the edge.  Jaylon somewhat showed what he can do at the edge.  Wilbon would love to run out there and Tre when healthy thrived out there.

it is just another example of The ineptness and stubbornness of this staff to put their players in a position to possibly succeed and that is sad

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yep.  Remember before last year Riley said he wanted to be in the top three in the B1G in rushing?

We're currently #13, four feet per game ahead of Illinois for the cellar.  And you see how that's working for us.

I remember and I didn't believe it when he said it.  Maybe I believed that he thought it would be a good idea to be top three but I knew they would never achieve that.  

I see an OL that spends a lot of time practicing going backwards to perfect pass protection which doesn't lend itself to getting the OL to fire off the line to open run lanes.  Combine that with feeble run plays and you end up in the cellar.  At least they do a good job keeping Tanner upright.  Going into this game I worried for his life.  With November weather it is going to be bad.

Guys. I can tell you as an OU fan. We would love to come the conference. I think the rivalry is great for both schools. As we have mutual respect for each other. It's way diffferent than we have with Texas. I honestly believe it would help you to get more guys out of Texas. Don't think we have forgot about you guys. We talk a lot about the Big Red on our sports talk shows #Go Big Red! #Boomer Sooner!

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Dillon833 said:

Guys. I can tell you as an OU fan. We would love to come the conference. I think the rivalry is great for both schools. As we have mutual respect for each other. It's way diffferent than we have with Texas. I honestly believe it would help you to get more guys out of Texas. Don't think we have forgot about you guys. We talk a lot about the Big Red on our sports talk shows #Go Big Red! #Boomer Sooner!

I absolutely hated getting beat by you Sooners, but I never, ever hated Oklahoma football.  I'm probably one of the oddballs on this site, but OU has always been my second favorite team.  Almost like a rivalry of brothers.  One of my favorite ways to jab at Texas fans is this.  They'll say the are from Texas and I respond "Oh, yeah, Texas.  That is the southern part of Oklahoma, right?"  Gets people pretty testy.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, grandpasknee said:

I absolutely hated getting beat by you Sooners, but I never, ever hated Oklahoma football.  I'm probably one of the oddballs on this site, but OU has always been my second favorite team.  Almost like a rivalry of brothers.  One of my favorite ways to jab at Texas fans is this.  They'll say the are from Texas and I respond "Oh, yeah, Texas.  That is the southern part of Oklahoma, right?"  Gets people pretty testy.

OU was never my 2nd favorite team, but I respected OU, and never hated them. I always wanted OU to win every game except Nebraska, because I wanted that last game of the year to be against the #1 or #2 team in the country.

Now we expect to get beat by a 0.500 Iowa team.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

OU was never my 2nd favorite team, but I respected OU, and never hated them. I always wanted OU to win every game except Nebraska, because I wanted that last game of the year to be against the #1 or #2 team in the country.

Now we expect to get beat by a 0.500 Iowa team.

I can still go to Memorial Stadium and point out, within 5 seats, where I was when freaking Keith Jackson came open and crushed us with Sooner Magic with his one handed catch in 1986 to give them the winning field goal.  I doubt I'll remember where I was last night beyond the end of the season.

1 minute ago, grandpasknee said:

I can still go to Memorial Stadium and point out, within 5 seats, where I was when freaking Keith Jackson came open and crushed us with Sooner Magic with his one handed catch in 1986 to give them the winning field goal.  I doubt I'll remember where I was last night beyond the end of the season.

Did you have to bring up that bad memory! OU had a way ruining Saturdays for us. The thing is, in the 90s I didn't get much satisfaction out of killing bad sooner teams. I missed the great games with the winner playing for the MCN.