Star Wars: Episode VIII ***Speculation & Spoilers***

"Culture of victimhood"?

Good grief. The only time I've seen a claim to victimhood in this thread is when you thought people were fixated on whether you, personally, expected to like the movie going in or not.

There is no issue with differences of opinion. I'm just pointing out why the way you've gone about it is going to bother people a little. Though, you seem a lot more bothered by the love of this movie than anyone who loves it has been by the backlash. I dunno. It's odd. But you're welcome to your different take.

• Plus1 2

I actually liked that 4-5-6 came out first and then we got the 3 prequels years later. I also really enjoyed Rogue One going back and filling a hole. But TFA to a lesser extent, although it gave us the great characters of Rey, Finn and Maz, and TLJ fell short of the mark for me. Some of it may have to do with expectations from the original trilogy but I really think they just got lazy with their craft. And some of it may be related to technological advancements and current day expectations of Hollywood compared to 30 years ago but my issues are pretty simple, character development and story telling decisions. I don't expect everyone to dislike it, I just felt they could've done so much more with it.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, zoogs said:

I don't understand the need to tell people who loved this movie that they are objectively wrong.

I would suggest Rey, Rose, Holdo, and Leia being among the more probable reasons than "the porgs were cute". 

Granted, the porgs were adorable. But they barely had any screen time! 

I can promise you that the porgs were her absolute favorite thing followed by Chewie, the race horse things, the ice wolves and all of the comedic moments. She just isn't too much into sci-fi or action. Maybe the stronger womanly presence resonated with her but she sure didn't comment on that aspect.

5 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I can promise you that the porgs were her absolute favorite thing followed by Chewie, the race horse things, the ice wolves and all of the comedic moments. She just isn't too much into sci-fi or action. Maybe the stronger womanly presence resonated with her but she sure didn't comment on that aspect.

I have had the same experience with four different women, all Star Wars fans.  The first thing they mentioned was the Porgs. I didn't even know their name and had to ask one of them what she was talking about. 

22 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I really think they just got lazy with their craft. And some of it may be related to technological advancements and current day expectations of Hollywood compared to 30 years ago but my issues are pretty simple, character development and story telling decisions. I don't expect everyone to dislike it, I just felt they could've done so much more with it.

That's really it. They have unlimited resources available to them. The best writers, the best editors, the best actors. Everything at their disposal, a million different story lines they could have come up with, and this is what they chose to put on screen.  It could have, should have, been so much better. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Is it that the movie isn't all that great or is it that the expectations are just so high?  I feel like they writers almost need to consult star wars fans when they do their writing...There is just so much that they can cover that it must be difficult to fit it all in.

I'm sure some of it is damned if you do and damned if ya don't. Some liked it and some didn't :dunno I will say I'm still glad I went to see it at the theatre. There are a lot of movies I won't go to that expense but rather will wait for disc release but I'll always be glad to go to a Star Wars movie, even one I feel fell short of the mark. After all my bitchin', I'm still glad I went to it.

43 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I have had the same experience with four different women, all Star Wars fans.  The first thing they mentioned was the Porgs. I didn't even know their name and had to ask one of them what she was talking about. 

To be honest, one of my favorite scenes was when Chewie was going to eat the little bbq'd Porg thingy and the sad eyes of the Porgs by the campfire. I was slightly disappointed he didn't just go ahead and take a big ole bite out of it, I fully expected that to happen after the 2nd sad eyes close up.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't understand this need to explain away all criticism about this movie with excuse after excuse after excuse.

Why do you insist on painting those of us that thought it was good and/or enjoyed it like this? It's just not necessary. What's the difference between an excuse and something I actually believe and disagree with you on? I feel no desire to label all of your perceived criticisms of how the film was bad as "excuses", you shouldn't do that either. 

There's also no need to explain anything. It's a message board. We talk about stuff. I don't need to, I want to and enjoy doing it. As you said...

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

This is a thread for discussing these movies, and that includes both good and bad. 

You say something. Someone disagrees so they respond and state why. Then you respond to them. Would you imagine it going a different way?

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

To be honest, one of my favorite scenes was when Chewie was going to eat the little bbq'd Porg thingy and the sad eyes of the Porgs by the campfire. I was slightly disappointed he didn't just go ahead and take a big ole bite out of it, I fully expected that to happen after the 2nd sad eyes close up.

He should have eaten the Porg. Chewie's gone soft.