Do not watch if you have a soft stomach.

Cdog923

1 minute ago, NUinID said:

It is an overly complicated try at deception that didn't work.  It was terribly executed, but it does't have to be that complicated all the time. 

I get that all offenses use deception to fool the opposing defenses, but it seems like Riley's/Langsdorf's offense "relies" on deception to be effective.  That deception causes over-complication in blocking schemes, and it takes away the "brunt force" nature of successful offensive lines.

• Plus1 1

The passing play is just garbage effort by the line. No communication on blocking assignments and horrible effort.

Who's the center on these plays?

On the tweet of the complimentary running play:

1a. The QB should be checking out of the run into a pass. You only have 6 to block 7. You're going to lose. Do we even have audibles???

1b. If we're really sticking with the play the center should be changing the protections/blocking based on the potential blitz he's seeing. The LT should probably leave the stand up end at the bottom of the screen since he's pretty far from the gap we are trying to hit. Definitely try to chip him, but you have to pick up the blitz! Pulling TE just takes a poor angle and doesn't square up to his block.

Edited by ZRod
3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Same play with the run.  It looks to me like the TE needs to be crossing the line sooner....and once he gets there, has no clue how to block.

Wow that play is an absolute mess.  The center and left guard have no clue who to block.  The right guard and right guard both release to the LB.  The TE is slow to trap on the DE, and has 2 guys to block, and doesn't get either one.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Same play with the run.  It looks to me like the TE needs to be crossing the line sooner....and once he gets there, has no clue how to block.

The TE isn't the biggest issue on any of these, though it is an issue. It's the stunts confusing the blocking scheme that is the larger problem. It was the same on the play in the other offensive line thread from this game. Purdue did this all game long.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is awful execution. 

- 7 in the box = check out of the play. 

- Bad snap. 

- Block down; RT should be on the 3 tech DT, RG to the MLB, C on the 1 tech DT, LG to the LB, LT on 9 tech DE, TE kicks out the playside DE. With the alignment of the D, you have to hope the safety doesn't crash down quick enough to blow the play up. 

1 minute ago, brophog said:

The TE isn't the biggest issue on any of these, though it is an issue. It's the stunts confusing the blocking scheme that is the larger problem. It was the same on the play in the other offensive line thread from this game. Purdue did this all game long.

And we have heard from the first day of training camp that the o-line has struggled with stunts and blitzes.

14 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I thought tweets were supposed to auto-embed, but as the OP proves, I know nothing, Jon Snow. 

I've noticed that it doesn't work with mobile Tweet links, so if you're on your phone, just take the 'mobile.' part out of the URL.

Just now, DrunkOffPunch said:

Don't have a video but there was another play where they blitz the OLB over Gates and drop the DT over Foster. We kept an extra guy in protection, Foster slides to his right and we end up with Gates trying to block 2 guys and our five other blockers blocking 2 guys.

The left side of the line is a mess, and is nowhere near what people thought their potential could be. At this point, if Farniok is going to hold down the RG spot, slide Wilson over to LG and see if Christian Gaylord is worth anything. 

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

The left side of the line is a mess, and is nowhere near what people thought their potential could be. At this point, if Farniok is going to hold down the RG spot, slide Wilson over to LG and see if Christian Gaylord is worth anything. 

It's astonishing to see the lack of development on the left side of the line.  Foster and Gates were supposed to be the strength of the o-line, but they haven't improved at all in the past 3 years.  I know Foster had an injury last year, but the stagnant play from that side of the line is so disturbing.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's astonishing to see the lack of development on the left side of the line.  Foster and Gates were supposed to be the strength of the o-line, but they haven't improved at all in the past 3 years.  I know Foster had an injury last year, but the stagnant play from that side of the line is so disturbing.

Gates is a RT in college, and probably a G if he makes it to the NFL. 

I have no idea what's up with Foster. I don't know if he would be better with Decker at C and *insert name here* at LT, but unless Jaimes can swing to the left, I have no idea to fix it with what we currently have. 

Just now, Cdog923 said:

Gates is a RT in college, and probably a G if he makes it to the NFL. 

I have no idea what's up with Foster. I don't know if he would be better with Decker at C and *insert name here* at LT, but unless Jaimes can swing to the left, I have no idea to fix it with what we currently have. 

Agree that Gates is playing out of position.  At this point in the season, Cav and Riley are left to playing musical chairs on the o-line because they can't identify and develop the best linemen.