Member what Oregon State fans told us when Riley was hired?

5 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

I was saying to hire Frost when Riley was hired. I just shook my head and knew this would end up a failure and it has been. 

A lot of people were.

I'm not going to lie. I was blindly optimistic when they hired Riley. Mostly because I didn't know any better, and if you don't know any better, it's a lot easier to be hopeful than it is to be a debbie downer.

But before they announced Mike Riley, I, and many others, felt like Scott Frost was our guy.

And nothing has changed. There is still a subset of people who feel Scott still has something to prove, but quite respectfully, those people are freaking morons... 

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Oh man, do you remember all that talk from them?  How screwed we were how lame Bob was and all that stuff.  

I do. They even came on here, "cut and pasted" comments and put them on our board.  Not one said he was a good hire.  Everyone said we were completely screwed and our D would be horrific.  

1 hour ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Unless you're firing him for reasons other than his results on the football field.

Bo Pelini was an asshat and not the type of guy you want as the face of your football program. If he could have handled himself better off the field, then he never would have been canned. But he's an egotistical maniac and a f'ing clown. The only way people were going to ignore his behavior would be if he was winning championships, which he wasn't...

so like I thought I stated clearly, putting all those emotional prejudices aside how is Cowherd wrong? 

Bo wasn’t bad, he just didn’t like feeling that he was being played and that the fix was in, which it obviously was. I’m gonna guess the reason why had more to do with his brother’s off-field actions than his tomato faced ranting. The players seemed to be okay with his demeanor. The ESPN types among us were the ones constantly making it a big deal. From what I could see he ran a clean program and developed players.... and he had the player’s back like a mother if you criticized them.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, HuskerMav11 said:

Unless you're firing him for reasons other than his results on the football field.

Bo Pelini was an asshat and not the type of guy you want as the face of your football program. If he could have handled himself better off the field, then he never would have been canned. But he's an egotistical maniac and a f'ing clown. The only way people were going to ignore his behavior would be if he was winning championships, which he wasn't...

if you believe Herr Eichorst's statement about "why" they fired Bo then your whole premise is mistaken- they couldn't even be publicly honest about their reasons, which is why they are no longer in those positions - integrity is something within a person, that apparently Eichorst nor is boss ever possessed 

also, Bo may have been the despicable human you believe he is/was, but one thing is for sure he spoke his mind and was honest about his thoughts, however crass or crude they were- and all of his behaviors which most fans that hate Bo use as reasons for their negative opinions,  seems a bit strange if you juxtaposition it with your statement that people would ignore those behaviors "if" he won championships. that is not something to be proud of and and certainly doesn't exude integrity or a principled position. 

11 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Bo wasn’t bad, he just didn’t like feeling that he was being played and that the fix was in, which it obviously was. I’m gonna guess the reason why had more to do with his brother’s off-field actions than his tomato faced ranting. The players seemed to be okay with his demeanor. The ESPN types among us were the ones constantly making it a big deal. From what I could see he ran a clean program and developed players.... and he had the player’s back like a mother if you criticized them.

agreed- most people get caught up in the crude remarks, sideline blow ups, and that whole secret taping of his comments (rightfully IMO) about our fair-weather fans after the tOSU comeback game, to actually fairly reflect on those positive facts and negative circumstances.

I think the OP is mis-remembering.  Many, in fact an extremely large majority of Husker fans knew that Eichorst hiring Riley was doomed to fail right from the start.  The difference was, most of us decided to put away our misgivings and support the new head football coach even though we knew better.  Then there was the constant disconnect between what Riley said, versus what his teams did on the field.  For example, Mike Riley said:

* We want great recruiters, but they also have to be great teachers.

* I want Nebraska to be in the top three in the conference in rushing.

* We're introducing a buddy system to enforce accountability.

Fast forward to now, based on the play we've seen on the field, has any of those metrics been met?

But again, we (meaning most Nebraska fans) already knew Mike Riley would fail.  We just decided to let him hang himself rather than bombarding the board with negativity. 

i heard what they said...but still had to hope for the best until riley  had a chance to prove himself.   he has now proved that he wasn't up to the job.   

FWIW....i do like that Scott has had a chance to prove himself as a head coach.   he is climbing up the ladder quite well.    hope his next step up is nebraska and he continues to impress.   

2 hours ago, Whistlepig said:

if you believe Herr Eichorst's statement about "why" they fired Bo then your whole premise is mistaken- they couldn't even be publicly honest about their reasons, which is why they are no longer in those positions - integrity is something within a person, that apparently Eichorst nor is boss ever possessed 

also, Bo may have been the despicable human you believe he is/was, but one thing is for sure he spoke his mind and was honest about his thoughts, however crass or crude they were- and all of his behaviors which most fans that hate Bo use as reasons for their negative opinions,  seems a bit strange if you juxtaposition it with your statement that people would ignore those behaviors "if" he won championships. that is not something to be proud of and and certainly doesn't exude integrity or a principled position. 

Can someone verify that I haven't stroked out? I probably re-read this paragraph 4 times and can't make sense of what is being said.