Miami as a model moving forward

lo country

18 hours ago, lo country said:

Watching sports center this morning and they were talking about Miami returning to the top.  They talked a lot about the past culture of Miami.  The swag, the hard physical style of play and the championships.....They talked about Miami being down for years and finally appear to have rounded the corner with Richts.  They talked about him being a former Cane and understanding the culture.  Understood what they needed to do to become on top again.  

They interviewed Jimmy Johnson and asked if Miami was back.  He simply replied, they're not back until they're winning championships.  That's a winners mentality.  That's the Miami culture.  It used to be ours until Cally IMHO.  

Their path seems similar to ours.  A once dominant program that has met hard times.  Multiple coaches with the same results....

Richt comes in and in year 2, they're top 10, undefeated and should win their division and play Clemson for the ACC.....

Miami went out and went back to what they know and what they were.  A Miami kid who was part of the culture, good, bad and ugly. 

Richt also went out and actively recruited the great Miami players to come back and talk to and interact with the players.  Give them a front row seat to the greatness that was "The U"...

Seems  like NU has the opportunity to do the same in Frost.....

mods, feel free to merge if needed.  Just thought ESPN game day could've been talking about NU (hopefully they will be in year 2)

Key difference is Richt spent time as HC at a top tier SEC school and not UCF prior to returning to Miami.  There are similarities but it's not oranges and oranges (no pun intended).  If we get SF I hope we have the same type of resurgence, but we should be smart and be ready for whoever the AD gets.

11 minutes ago, HIHusker said:

Key difference is Richt spent time as HC at a top tier SEC school and not UCF prior to returning to Miami.  There are similarities but it's not oranges and oranges (no pun intended).  If we get SF I hope we have the same type of resurgence, but we should be smart and be ready for whoever the AD gets.

I agree with Richt being in a top spot for a long period of time.  I thought the similarities were similar.  2 great programs reduced to nothing, multiple coaches with same or worse results. Hire an alumnus who played at the school, had success, knows the culture and embraces it to include routinely getting the greats to come back in and meet the team.  Creates the TO chain that guys are balling out to where.  Remember when a black practice jersey dod that to guys......Be great to have that fire back....Imagine NU brining back Trev, Jason, Grant, etc to talk to the kids....or Rozier, Tommie, AA, Shields, Remington, Gill etc...talk about the history, what it takes.  Put a face to the greatness that was....

The bolded has me concerned.  What if it is some guy we have to google, who knows nothing about the culture that is Nebraska.....Even if not Frost, I hope its one that we can all agree is the home run we need and want!

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree with Richt being in a top spot for a long period of time.  I thought the similarities were similar.  2 great programs reduced to nothing, multiple coaches with same or worse results. Hire an alumnus who played at the school, had success, knows the culture and embraces it to include routinely getting the greats to come back in and meet the team.  Creates the TO chain that guys are balling out to where.  Remember when a black practice jersey dod that to guys......Be great to have that fire back....Imagine NU brining back Trev, Jason, Grant, etc to talk to the kids....or Rozier, Tommie, AA, Shields, Remington, Gill etc...talk about the history, what it takes.  Put a face to the greatness that was....

The bolded has me concerned.  What if it is some guy we have to google, who knows nothing about the culture that is Nebraska.....Even if not Frost, I hope its one that we can all agree is the home run we need and want!

As long as we don't get Jim Harbaugh'd.  UM not super stoked on him right now.  Richt having a much better rebuildling time than JH right now.  At least Harbaugh does not cry at press conferences.  :)  Whoever we get I just want to see results.  I trust Moos better than the previous AD's to make the right call.

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

What happens when they upset Wisconsin?

@Madison?  Smart money is on Wiscy that game. 

Michigan (5): The Wolverines remain at No. 5 despite beating Maryland 35-10. The game was an interesting one for Michigan, which scored 28 of the 35 points in the first half, then seemed to run out of steam. Normally a strong second-half defense, Michigan gave up 10 points after halftime and 340 yards of offense for the entire game. That was against a Maryland offense that was playing its third- and fourth-string quarterbacks.