Don't Fear Failure

"Now a 38-year-old assistant heading to Nebraska, Chinander has as many sayings for his players as ways to pressure a quarterback: Do your one-11th. Be fast and fierce. Desire to excel and don’t fear failure."

OWH

I have no idea if Chinander is going to work out here, but the bolded part above gives me hope. I've been coaching girls soccer for 19 years and one thing I've always preached was "....just try. Don't worry about making a mistake, just try. I can fix anything but slow."

Growing up I had coaches who were technically competent to varying degrees, but most of them were obsessed with results. They spent a little time on process, but if you made a mistake they were crawling up your butt, chewing you out and making you over-think. The result was playing slow. TO was all about process; he preached that once the process was down and continuity established, results would follow. Pretty good formula.

I have no problem telling a player how to improve after they make a mistake.....that's what coaches should do. But how you do it is at least as important what you say.

Don't fear failure. Learn from the mistake, try not to repeat it and then put it in the rearview mirror.

• Plus1 2

You are correct.  This is not an earth shattering qoute.  For over 20 years I have preached same words to my guys.  I also add that if you make a mistake, make it at full speed.  The fear of failure is one of the leading causes of failure.

11 minutes ago, HANC said:

You are correct.  This is not an earth shattering qoute.  For over 20 years I have preached same words to my guys.  I also add that if you make a mistake, make it at full speed.  The fear of failure is one of the leading causes of failure.

I have done a ton of coaching and one year I used a different approach and man did we suck...it was really reactive and we just sucked.  We were in the right spots but we were tackling on on heels and we sucked.  I really did a bad job that year.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I have done a ton of coaching and one year I used a different approach and man did we suck...it was really reactive and we just sucked.  We were in the right spots but we were tackling on on heels and we sucked.  I really did a bad job that year.

I bet you learned a whole lot that year.

2 hours ago, Spooky Tooth said:

"Now a 38-year-old assistant heading to Nebraska, Chinander has as many sayings for his players as ways to pressure a quarterback: Do your one-11th. Be fast and fierce. Desire to excel and don’t fear failure."

OWH

I have no idea if Chinander is going to work out here, but the bolded part above gives me hope. I've been coaching girls soccer for 19 years and one thing I've always preached was "....just try. Don't worry about making a mistake, just try. I can fix anything but slow."

Growing up I had coaches who were technically competent to varying degrees, but most of them were obsessed with results. They spent a little time on process, but if you made a mistake they were crawling up your butt, chewing you out and making you over-think. The result was playing slow. TO was all about process; he preached that once the process was down and continuity established, results would follow. Pretty good formula.

I have no problem telling a player how to improve after they make a mistake.....that's what coaches should do. But how you do it is at least as important what you say.

Don't fear failure. Learn from the mistake, try not to repeat it and then put it in the rearview mirror.

As Yoda in The Last Jedi says, "Failure, our greatest teacher is."

Edited by Making Chimichangas

To paraphrase a comment form Lavonte David when he went to the Bucs.  He was told by a starter,  you're going to make mistakes,  just make them at full speed......

For years, our guys have just seemed to be a step behind and reacting.  Hopefully they buy into the whole "get after it" mentality and when/if they make mistakes they do it going full out.  

• Plus1 1

..the players looked slow and timid as it’s a known phenom that individuals take on certain characteristics of their leader..there were times I thought MR Riley needed his pulse checked to see if he was still breathing..the man is prey, not a predator, the players followed same same mentality..prey.

I guess this kind of goes with not fearing failure. But did anyone else notice how timid and unenergetic the team was this year? I saw UCF guys jumping around and believing like no tomorrow that they could beat Auburn, who had far more talent then them. The team this past year had very little energy it seemed when we were down and then after we missed a few plays the games started to spiral into a big mess. Also, I recall people saying that the team did not look super excited running out of the tunnel during game day. I am not sure if they feared failure or just did not care and kind of took the same mentality as their coach. 

A change in attitude and getting these guys to have fun and go full speed should change the mentality of this team. They will play harder, faster and together. The best players will play and I truly believe that they will be put in positions to succeed to make plays and win ball games. Lastly, they will not quit, they won't quit on each other, their coaches and the fans. They will be fighting like crazy up 20 or down 20, making Husker nation proud to support their team. 

• Plus1 1