Healthcare Reform

1 minute ago, Redux said:

No you understand just fine, you're just being stubborn because you want your little chart you posted to be right.   They receive his monthly assistance, they waste it.  They RECEIVED a massive lump sum and blew through it instead of using it on the things it's supposed to be used on.  Now they are in a bad spot, don't be difficult.

You were the one painting them as collecting a bunch of money and living lavishly.  I showed that it probably wasn't the case based off of what Nebraska pays people for disability.

I think you should look into the mirror at who is being difficult.

4 minutes ago, Redux said:

A lady said this at my nother in laws work who recently quit her job. Daycare is too expensive so im going to quit my job, get disability for depression, put us on medicaid and get food stamps then watch some friends kids at home and get paid cash under the table. Literally told everyone at my mother in laws work this is her plan. Her last day was a few weeks ago.

Bold strategy.  Let's see if that pays off

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

So upwards of $60,000 for being lazy and unwilling to work is fair?  Okay, now that we are clear on your stance.  Thanks for explaining.

I don't know what the condition of the back payment was.  I only have your word for it.  Was he genuinely injured in order to get that payment?

12 minutes ago, Redux said:

No, just no.  It seriously give me a headache that this is even trying to be justified.  He is not mentally handicapped, he is not disabled.  Obesity is not a disability.  Here's another example:

A lady said this at my nother in laws work who recently quit her job. Daycare is too expensive so im going to quit my job, get disability for depression, put us on medicaid and get food stamps then watch some friends kids at home and get paid cash under the table. Literally told everyone at my moms work this is her plan. Her last day was a few weeks ago.

Just trying to reasonably grasp the situation, brah. You said:

He got his disability for mental issues..like depression and not being able to focus..etc

Now you say he is not mentally handicapped. How do you know? You can't just quit your job and say I have depression and suddenly get food stamps and magical disability checks. The paperwork to apply for this stuff is a bureaucratic mess, and disability requires a good deal of medical documentation. That doesn't prevent abuse, but you are making it sound like it is easy. Your original post made it sound like these folks are living in luxury, but it actually sounds like misery (albeit with a couple shiny toys).

No it's not fair (for anyone). No, you don't have to like it. But I'm not sure if you are truly trying to understand it. 

• Plus1 1

https://www.disabilitycarecenter.org/medical-conditions/depression/

Qualifying for Disability with Depression

Generally it is very difficult to qualify for disability benefits with depression alone. The symptoms of depression are hard to prove and many people attempt to falsely claim they have depression to receive disability benefits. Most people who are approved for depression also have other conditions such as anxiety, PTSD, bipolar disorder, etc.

For an individual with depression to qualify for Social Security Disability benefits, his or her symptoms must meet the severity levels required by the SSA’s Blue Book in section 12.04 Affective Disorders. An applicant’s depressive disorder must satisfy requirements A and B or must satisfy requirement C in section 12.04. These requirements are listed in the SSA’s Blue Book and can be found here:

If an individual with depression doesn’t meet the requirements of section 12.04, he or she can still be approved through a medical-vocational allowance. This means the Social Security Administration (SSA) will determine how the applicant’s condition of depression affects their ability to do unskilled work. To do this, the SSA will see if the applicant can perform SRRTs (simple, routine, repetitive tasks) as well as social functioning.

• Simple: Can the applicant understand, remember and complete simple instructions?
  • Routine: Can the applicant handle changes in daily routine?
  • Repetitive: Can the applicant perform repetitive tasks without losing focus?
  • Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Redux said:

So upwards of $60,000 for being lazy and unwilling to work is fair?  Okay, now that we are clear on your stance.  Thanks for explaining.

If that was backpay that was owed to them, it was owed to them. Sounds like they foolishly mishandled the money as soon as they got it. If they had been getting it in regular installments over the prior 4-5 years, they probably would have mishandled it over that same amount of time as well, just in a different way. 

As far as being unwilling to work (which is probably true, I believe you), do you know what this guy is able to do? What are his skills? What was his prior job?

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

A whopping 1700 people in the entire state of Nebraska are receiving disability payments from the government and Redux thinks it's so easy to qualify half his town is going to do it

Maybe his town has 50 people. That’s 68 towns full of welfare queens. 

• Plus1 1
27 minutes ago, Redux said:

No, just no.  It seriously give me a headache that this is even trying to be justified.  He is not mentally handicapped, he is not disabled.  Obesity is not a disability.  

Qualified Medical Conditions