S&P reached a record high in January

On 11/26/2018 at 11:32 AM, ZRod said:

It's not really related to that...

This has more to do with a shift in demand. People don't want sedans and small cars. They want trucks and SUVs right now. Ford is making the same move, and Chrysler made the move a few years ago. It's unfortunate that they chose not to retool the plants here in the US for new production, but they could announce that sometime down the road if they chose to create new product.

Are we sure about demand for sedans and small cars vs. trucks and SUVs?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autosales-hybrids/toyota-struggles-to-meet-hybrid-small-car-demand-idUKN0127917320080702

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Are we sure about demand for sedans and small cars vs. trucks and SUVs?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autosales-hybrids/toyota-struggles-to-meet-hybrid-small-car-demand-idUKN0127917320080702

Yeah, I don't know where the whole Truck/SUV demand thing came from, but if the economy tanks, those are the first vehicles to go because they cost more to own and maintain. In 2008, there was a severe glut of SUVs and large Truck--I know because we got our first large SUV during that economic collapse for ~35% less than what it originally was marketed for. 

Instead, we're seeing a huge demand for the vehicles described in the Reuters piece. It's why Tesla has been successful (in spite of production woes), Toyota is successful, and why you're starting to see European manufacturers (e.g Volkswagen, BMW) retooling assembly lines to put out EVs. 

If anything, we're seeing a transition period in the industry, where light vehicles are slowly, but surely, being replaced by electric ones. As the infrastructure improves for EVs, the sales will increase. 

Edit: Source is somewhat biased, but the info is legit re: transitioning small vehicles to EV

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/12/05/volkswagen-phasing-out-conventional-vehicles-may-build-cars-at-ford-factories-in-us/

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You are correct. I thought it said 2018.

i reversed the search on google for truck and suv demand, and it is indeed in the upswing, with speculation that as much as 50 percent of new car sales will soon be SUVS.

What do they consider an SUV?

For instance, my wife drives a Chevy Travers.  It's an all wheel drive crossover.  Is this considered an SUV?  If so, I fully understand why there is an upswing demand for SUVs.  These cars are great and they aren't like you're driving around a suburban or escalade.  

I would not see the demand drop on these because of the economy as much.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do they consider an SUV?

For instance, my wife drives a Chevy Travers.  It's an all wheel drive crossover.  Is this considered an SUV?  If so, I fully understand why there is an upswing demand for SUVs.  These cars are great and they aren't like you're driving around a suburban or escalade.  

I would not see the demand drop on these because of the economy as much.

Pretty sure they count as SUVs. They're intended for light off road use but based on car platforms, not trucks.

2 hours ago, ZRod said:

A little misleading. Actually a lot misleading...

From the article: 

Unless a miracle “Santa Claus rally” emerges, this is going to be the worst year for U.S. stocks since 2008.

The Dow and S&P 500 are expected to notch their worst December performances since 1931, a sign of how rapidly Wall Street sentiment is shifting on the businessman president and his ability to steer the economy.

Not exactly sure how these are misleading statements when they qualify the timeframe and scope of the measurements...

• Plus1 2

Really????

We've pretty much been saying for the past few years that the market is due for a correction. Many here have even said that it was probably going to happen in 2017 or 2018 no matter who was president. Plenty have said that we couldn't continue the almost unheard of upward trend we've seen for almost a decade...

Obama basically started at zero. There was no where to go but up. It looks like Trump, for all we know because we can't look through the lense of history yet, started about 100 feet from the summit. It's not apples to apples. 

Time will tell if this is a correction, the beginning of a recession, or something else. But the comparison at this point between Obama's first 2 years and Trump's first 2 is dishonest at best. We've hardly seen any downward trend the last decade so of course a year with zero gain will be the worst in a decade...

• Plus1 1