S&P reached a record high in January

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is an over used phrase that isn't true.

Many times these moves protect the jobs of the rest of the thousands that work for the company.  If companies don't do these moves from time to time, it puts the company in jeopardy and thus....the rest of the thousands of jobs that people benefit from.

Sometimes companies need to make a major move in a different direction to survive.  Unfortunately, sometimes employees get caught in the transition.  It's not always just because of greed form share holders.

But it is true. It's their bottom line.

I get that the decisions are complex, and never that simple, but there is a symbiosis that we rarely think about. If you play the long game, people having a job and getting paid well for that job means more consumers to buy your products. Henry Ford new this which partly contributed to him doubling wages, and providing healthcare and housing for his workers. I see all the time how my company and many others only focus on the short term. They don't want to foot the bill upfront to add more man hours or technology, and they predictably end up paying through the nose later to fix the problem after it's too late. It looks better on the sheets when you can quote a project at a lower cost upfront even if you will be paying for it later. It's short sighted.

All that said, most of these closing and layoffs we're coming regardless. The current trends in the auto market mean these plants won't be profitable soon, if they even are today.

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Read the rest of my post.

Your post is about business practices/necessities but does not in any way refute the post you quoted: "Unfortunately large corporations are beholden to their shareholders and no one else." So I'm confused that you think it addresses the original post. What am I missing?

Just now, ZRod said:

But it is true. It's their bottom line.

The bottom line does not just benefit stock holders.  The bottom line must be positive or all employees of the company suffers.  Sometimes it's needed to sacrifice some employees to be able to protect the rest of the employees.  

Years ago, I was in a position where I had to make the decision to cut 37% of our workforce.  It sucked.  Yes....ultimately.....I made that choice as a share holder and I needed to do what was necessary to save the company.  HOWEVER......this company would not be here benefiting the employees that remained and the ones we have since hired, if I hadn't made that choice.  This is no different if I were running a fortune 500 company.  The US bailed out GM because of bad management decisions from the past.  Many of those "bad decisions" were made because the alternative was tough and not popular.  Ultimately, it brought the company to it's knees and risked every other employees welfare in the company.

Cutting 37% of our workforce didn't only benefit me as a stockholder.

7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

All that said, most of these closing and layoffs we're coming regardless. The current trends in the auto market mean these plants won't be profitable soon, if they even are today.

Fore which.....these decisions are made not just for the shareholders, but to not put at risk the rest of the employees of the company. 

But we all know that a company can take on debt. It's just generally frowned upon when that debt isn't a capital investment and is instead invested into human resources. Your personal example and this GM thing aren't a great case to make my point, I know I'm talking out both sides of my mouth, but it's an issue that has bugged me for a long time. People only want to look at the short term balance, and not pay for quality upfront.

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

related -   Ron Paul, always the pessimist - had this to say about the stock market - it may burst wide open into a downward spiral.  Thanks in part to Trump's tax cuts, his tariffs,  deficit spending, and easy money.  So think about what Trump is saying - he wants the easy money to continue which will only exasperate the bubble that is being created - the debt bubble - govt debt, consumer debt, corporate debt.  His tax cuts & tariffs feed the bubble and his easy money ideas will do the same.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/14/ron-paul-market-meltdown-could-spark-depression-like-conditions.html

Ron Paul is warning this year’s corrections could be a precursor to an epic market collapse that may come sooner than investors think.

According to the former Republican presidential candidate, Wall Street is becoming more vulnerable to near-depression conditions within the next 12 months.

“Once this volatility shows that we’re not going to resume the bull market, then people are going to rush for the exits,” Paul said Thursday on CNBC’s “Futures Now. ” The relentlessly bearish former congressman added that “It could be worse than 1929.”

During that year, the stock market began hemorrhaging, falling almost 90 percent and sending the U.S. economy into a tailspin.

Paul, a well-known Libertarian, has been warning Wall Street a massive market plunge is inevitable for years. He’s currently projecting a 50 percent decline from current levels as his base case, citing the ongoing U.S.-China trade war as a growing risk factor.

“I’m not optimistic that all of the sudden, you’re going to eliminate the tariff problem. I think that’s here to stay,” he said. “Tariffs are taxes.”

DOW and S&P  worse Dec since 1931 - depression. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/12/17/worst-start-to-december-for-the-stock-market-since-great-depression.html

Greenspan - run for cover

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/business/alan-greenspan-stock-market-party-over/index.html

Alan Greenspan says the party's over on Wall Street.

The former Federal Reserve chairman who famously warned more than two decades ago about "irrational exuberance" in the stock market doesn't see equity prices going any higher than they are now.
"It would be very surprising to see it sort of stabilize here, and then take off," Greenspan said in an interview with CNN anchor Julia Chatterley.
He added that markets could still go up further — but warned investors that the correction would be painful: "At the end of that run, run for cover."

• Plus1 1
On 12/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, HuskerNBigD said:

Not sure why anyone would eyeroll this comment. The dude is a loony. He should also let the Fed to their job without interference.

Yeah, the willful ignorance is strong with that poster. Sorry, but it doesn't matter--there's no excuse for this level of unprofessionalism and disdain for an ally to this country

BTW, have we figured out which account is RicFlair's sock account yet? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

Yeah, the willful ignorance is strong with that poster. Sorry, but it doesn't matter--there's no excuse for this level of unprofessionalism and disdain for an ally to this country

BTW, have we figured out which account is RicFlair's sock account yet? 

Hello Ric - come out of hiding. :hmmph