Parkland, FL High School Shooting

38 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If we can get something accomplished moving toward saving our kids in the classroom, I wonder if Democrats would be willing to get on board with saving the 100's of thousands of kid that are unnecessarily aborted every year before having the chance to experience life outside the womb? Complete, serious thought.... Not trying to "troll".

But we have topics for abortion. Fetuses aren't kids to Democrats, which is why there will never be any agreement on the topic. Also, if the GOP wants more abortions to be illegal than already are, they shouldn't cut funding to SNAP or Medicaid. Their philosophy on unborn babies vs living babies makes no sense.

Edited by Moiraine
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not advocating that this is the solution.  But, I know there are lots of schools who have police or armed security and I don't know of any situations where someone was accidentally shot by one.

An interesting statistic to look at is, how many school shootings have occurred at a school with armed security compared to ones without.

School shootings are too rare to make any real conclusions about it.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

But we have topics for abortion. Fetuses aren't kids to Democrats, so that's a non starter for that discussion. Also, if the GOP wants more abortions to be illegal than already are, they shouldn't cut funding to SNAP or Medicaid.

At the risk of further derailing a topic that I already started to derail.... a premeditated worry of inadequate nutritional meals seems like an odd reason to kill a person.

11 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

At the risk of further derailing a topic that I already started to derail.... a premeditated worry of inadequate nutritional meals seems like an odd reason to kill a person.

People who are pro choice don't think fetuses are people.

The GOP cares (pretends to really - it's all about the Christian vote) more about unborn children than living people, as evidenced by pretty much every policy decision they make related to health and poor people. If they actually cared about these babies they would support helping pregnant women in need, which is a large percentage of women who consider abortion. They would also promote pregnancy prevention through means other than celibacy.

Edited by Moiraine

Compromise involves acknowledging that someone you disagree with has a valid point. I see an awful lot of people posting here who lack the intellectual maturity to do that. They would rather cast their political enemies as some combination of stupid, evil, and crazy than try to work toward an actual solution. 

I think a bill that raised the age limit for long guns to 21, established a system of background checks that actually works, prevented known crazy people from owning guns, etc. could gain serious traction. 

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

If we can get something accomplished moving toward saving our kids in the classroom, I wonder if Democrats would be willing to get on board with saving the 100's of thousands of kid that are unnecessarily aborted every year before having the chance to experience life outside the womb? Complete, serious thought.... Not trying to "troll".

Access to healthcare and contraceptives, comprehensive sex education, fighting against rape culture, and removing stigma/shame around sex all reduce abortion rates. Which political party do you think is trying to accomplish those goals?

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

That's hyperbole. The NRA doesn't protect their interests any more (or less) than any other organization closely intertwined with the political world. It doesn't make it right, but they certainly aren't the only ones.

How many other political interests are inextricably tied to the deaths of 30,000-40,000 Americans per year? 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Compromise involves acknowledging that someone you disagree with has a valid point. I see an awful lot of people posting here who lack the intellectual maturity to do that. They would rather cast their political enemies as some combination of stupid, evil, and crazy than try to work toward an actual solution.

So you're not willing to actually reply to what anyone is saying.

14 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Access to healthcare and contraceptives, comprehensive sex education, fighting against rape culture, and removing stigma/shame around sex all reduce abortion rates. Which political party do you think is trying to accomplish those goals?

All worthy endeavors, still no excuse(in my opinion) to have an abortion (aside from rape victims, I certainly understand the uniqueness of those instances).

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
31 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

People who are pro choice don't think fetuses are people.

The GOP cares (pretends to really - it's all about the Christian vote) more about unborn children than living people, as evidenced by pretty much every policy decision they make related to health and poor people. If they actually cared about these babies they would support helping pregnant women in need, which is a large percentage of women who consider abortion. They would also promote pregnancy prevention through means other than celibacy.

Promote pregnancy prevention? I think we're all aware of how it happens.

I have zero doubts, so I agree with you, that the GOP pretends to care about abortions for the political vote it comes with. Just as I think the Democrats have done the same with minorities for decades.

Personally, aside from a few exceptions, I find abortion selfish, irresponsible, ironic, and disgusting.... And I'm not looking for any votes.

And regarding "cares about the unborn more than living people".... There's a level of responsibility that the "living person" has for one's positioning in the world once they reach adulthood. Many people, myself included, find it a lot easier to sympathize with the innocent (unborn), than those who have the wherewithal to help themselves (adults).

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Promote pregnancy prevention? I think we're all aware of how it happens.

I have zero doubts, so I agree with you, that the GOP pretends to care about abortions for the political vote it comes with. Just as I think the Democrats have done the same with minorities for decades.

Personally, aside from a few exceptions, I find abortion selfish, irresponsible, ironic, and disgusting.... And I'm not looking for any votes.

And regarding "cares about the unborn more than living people".... There's a level of responsibility that the "living person" has for one's positioning in the world once they reach adulthood. Many people, myself included, find it a lot easier to sympathize with the innocent (unborn), than those who have the wherewithal to help themselves (adults).

You're joking about the pregnancy prevention part, right? There have been many examples of sex education reducing abortion rates. And all I heard about growing up was celibacy, and a lot of the GOP is against teaching other methods.

To the last paragraph, I'm not talking about adults so much as I'm talking about their kids. Hence the earlier mention of snap and medicaid.

Edited by Moiraine
15 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

All worthy endeavors, still no excuse(in my opinion) to have an abortion (aside from rape victims, I certainly understand the uniqueness of those instances).

You wondered if Democrats would get on board with saving aborted babies. I'm telling you that Democrats are the ones pushing plenty of policy that would result in less aborted babies. I figured that would be something you'd be excited about and on board with. What gives? Are you saying you won't be happy until there's zero abortions?