Parkland, FL High School Shooting

50 minutes ago, Enhance said:

You can't post something contentious and then put the onus on your fellow posters to prove or explain why you're wrong, particularly when you're saying things like busing being a 'waste' of money and schools are teaching students the finer points of anal sex. The former is an odd claim and the latter is pure foolishness.

That's not how debate works and that's not how this board works.

How much money does OPS spend on mandatory busing? Given the complaints we constantly hear about how horribly underpaid teachers are and how classrooms lack basic supplies, wouldn’t much of that money be better allocated to paying teachers and buying pencils and paper?

Should the focus be on teaching kids about gender identity and anal sex or on teaching them to read, perform simple math equations, etc. Have you seen the test scores from OPS? Is it a good thing that Johnny knows that boys can have vulvas too, but is functionally illiterate?

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m not convinced that teachers as a group are underpaid. Some are, while others are drastically overpaid. They also work about 8 months a year. Moreover, we spend a ridiculous amount on public education. Most districts spend around $13,000-15,000 per student per year. That’s a crazy amount of money. OPS has an annual budget of more than half a billion dollars a year. Unfortunately, they waste most of it on busing, paying hordes of do-nothing fat cat administrators, teaching grade schoolers the finer points of masturbation and anal sex, and all kinds of other worthless liberal nonsense. But the money to pay the teachers a decent salary is there. So is the money to pay them to protect their classrooms.

This was a big school, set up as a campus with multiple buildings. If there are armed guards and it’s well known there are armed guards, it not only protects the school from an attack, but discourages one in the first place. That’s the whole logic behind making soft targets into hard targets. 

My reaction to the bold.

Teaching our children reading , writing, history , math, science etc  is one of the most important jobs there is, so what price would you put on it ? Nobody goes into teaching to get rich, my father was a public school educator for 30+ years, so  i have first hand knowledge on that subject . He already had to deal with many things that weren't really his job, and the last thing he would have wanted was to be responsible for shooting people too.  Administration jobs make high salaries yes, but that's not a thing exclusive to public education at all.

I highly doubt teachers are talking anal sex etc, but if they're teaching kids to be tolerant, thoughtful , inclusive , decent human beings i say more power to their liberal agenda!  I certainly wouldn't want them taught that Rich, White, Christians, are the only ones who matter , that gay people can be "fixed", that we need to spend billions killing others all over the world, because were such bad asses, or any other delusional right wing Tripe. The last thing this country needs is and more of the condescending, intolerant jerks that the right seems to produce. We have plenty already.

The shooter has the element of surprise, to me armed guards or teachers are simply the first ones they're going to kill.

Edited by Big Red 40
  • Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Here are some quotes from what appears to be the actual curriculum.

http://www.massresistance.org/docs/gen3/16d/omaha-schools-sex-ed/docs/NFV-Whats-in-OPS-sex-ed.pdf

It is not the actual curriculum.

Try going to OPS' actual website, not some joke of a site like "massresistance.org," which is denounced as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

On OPS' actual curriculum page, which is linked in the site you're using, they do not describe teaching anything about anal sex to grade-school children. Anal sex is mentioned in the 8th grade curriculum:

STDs/HIV may be transmitted through oral, vaginal, and anal sex, by sharing needles with an infected person or from mother to child during pregnancy, birth or breastfeeding.

Please stop embellishing the points you're trying to make.  "Grade school" is not 8th grade, it's K-5th.

Eighth Graders are Middle School, and are well inside the age that studies show kids are having sex. These kids need education on safe sex, pregnancy & disease protection, and denying them that protection leads to unwanted STDs, pregnancies and societal problems.

• Plus1 7
17 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

How much money does OPS spend on mandatory busing? Given the complaints we constantly hear about how horribly underpaid teachers are and how classrooms lack basic supplies, wouldn’t much of that money be better allocated to paying teachers and buying pencils and paper?

Should the focus be on teaching kids about gender identity and anal sex or on teaching them to read, perform simple math equations, etc. Have you seen the test scores from OPS? Is it a good thing that Johnny knows that boys can have vulvas too, but is functionally illiterate?

First, what good is a pen and paper if a child can't get to school?

Second, teaching students about gender identity, sex (whatever the format) and the health-related issues is an important part of schooling because not every child has a strong support system at home. Would you rather children flounder around the world being taken sexually advantage of or would you rather they be educated? These are real world, 21st century discussions that we should be embracing, not turning into some hyperbolic and ludicrous argument that children are being taught minutiae details of anal sex.

Third, that website you linked is little more than an ultra-conservative blog. Presenting this as a reliable source of information is disingenuous, and that's putting it nicely.

• Plus1 6
29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Should the focus be on teaching kids about gender identity and anal sex or on teaching them to read, perform simple math equations, etc

This is irrelevant, as kids can be taught about all of these things at once.

Kids aren't stupid. Pretending they are doesn't help your argument.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

I highly doubt teachers are talking anal sex etc, but if they're teaching kids to be tolerant, thoughtful , inclusive , decent human beings i say more power to their liberal agenda!

How about teaching reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic?

My thought is one reason this country is in bad fiscal shape is the dollars we spend trying to legislate morality.

32 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

The last thing this country needs is and more of the condescending, intolerant jerks that the right seems to produce. We have plenty already.

And condescending the condescending keeps conversation circular versus leading to potential action that benefits society.

2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

How about teaching reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic?

My thought is one reason this country is in bad fiscal shape is the dollars we spend trying to legislate morality.

i checked the link.  they spend part of 1 class hour teaching the morality to accept gays.  surely that is enough to break the budget and nudge out the 3 r's right?

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I’m not convinced that teachers as a group are underpaid. Some are, while others are drastically overpaid. They also work about 8 months a year. Moreover, we spend a ridiculous amount on public education. Most districts spend around $13,000-15,000 per student per year. That’s a crazy amount of money. OPS has an annual budget of more than half a billion dollars a year. Unfortunately, they waste most of it on busing, paying hordes of do-nothing fat cat administrators, teaching grade schoolers the finer points of masturbation and anal sex, and all kinds of other worthless liberal nonsense. But the money to pay the teachers a decent salary is there. So is the money to pay them to protect their classrooms.

This was a big school, set up as a campus with multiple buildings. If there are armed guards and it’s well known there are armed guards, it not only protects the school from an attack, but discourages one in the first place. That’s the whole logic behind making soft targets into hard targets. 

I think you forgot the WOOOOOOOOO!

• Plus1 2