Parkland, FL High School Shooting

9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Your speech cannot be abridged by the government. We are not the government - nor are we abridging your speech.

The First Amendment doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing with your opinion, which is all that's happening here. Appealing to the First Amendment on an internet message board is a non sequitur.

I did not post that to defend myself.  I posted it as the baseline to a broader message of discernment.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Welcome to political talking point 101.  

Your talking points alone pretty much show what propaganda you are feeding yourself.

Should schools focus on teaching kids about different forms of sex and why Heather has two mommies or on reading, writing, math, history, etc.?

If someone brought a Bible in and started pushing their religious ideology, people would rightly object that is inappropriate. But when Planned Parenthood brings in a sexual education curriculum and starts telling kids that homosexual experimentation is healthy and fun, we’re all supposed to pretend not to notice?

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Are they? I’m not advocating we implement them, simply that they be considered as options. They’re far more realistic than going house to house to forcibly take the more than 300 million guns Americans own.

The second that a school district spend precious resources and funds buying firearms to arm teachers instead of spending it on students, in the classroom, or on appropriately paying teachers, is the day that 90% of the workforce goes on strike. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Every conservative group on the planet is characterized as a hate group by the SPLC. There’s a good argument to be made that the SPLC is a hate group. It’s an absolute joke. 

The website itself quotes the actual curriculum used. Of course OPS isn’t going to want the public to know the details. That was one of the key controversies when they were debating implementing it. OPS was hiding and being dishonest about what it entailed.

We’re quibbling now over whether 8th grade is grade school or middle school? That’s the best you can do? Because teaching Johnny how to lube up is cool if he’s 12 or 13, but maybe not if he’s 10 or 11. Way to miss the point entirely.

No, the SPLC is not a hate group, and no, they do not classify every conservative group as a hate group. Such hyperbole is self-defeating to your argument.

The website itself links to the OPS curriculum, which I went to, read, and posted quotes from for you.  If you would have done the same you would have realized that the website you used - the hate group site - was embellishing OPS' curriculum.  While OPS may or may not have been readily forthcoming about this (even if this is correct and not another embellishment), it's very easy to understand why they would be cautious when reading the kind of lying nonsense people are posting in this very thread. 

I am not quibbling over anything. I am providing facts.  8th grade is not "grade school," and hysterically claiming it is - and misrepresenting what's being taught to kids - is another self-defeating argument you're posting.  The easiest way to get around that is to do better research and provide actual facts, not hysteria or hate-group speech. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Should schools focus on teaching kids about different forms of sex and why Heather has two mommies or on reading, writing, math, history, etc.?

If someone brought a Bible in and started pushing their religious ideology, people would rightly object that is inappropriate. But when Planned Parenthood brings in a sexual education curriculum and starts telling kids that homosexual experimentation is healthy and fun, we’re all supposed to pretend not to notice?

I have zero problem with sex ed in school because it has been shown to reduce teen pregnancies which is a health issue in the US.  

You have completely failed in an attempt to prove the public schools are indoctrinating all of our kids to become gay and have anal sex.  The propaganda you are reading or listening to to come to this conclusion is simply that...propaganda.  

I do wish our school systems did a better job of teaching people how to discern actual information and propaganda.  It's a real problem in the US right now.

• Plus1 2

Just now, TheSker said:

It's not.

...except as a way of being respectful to others, which is the explanation you posted just seconds before denying it was being discussed. The discussion of which was started by you.

I can't tell if this is trolling or some kind of issue which, according to current zeitgeist, would preclude someone from owning a gun, but either way it isn't conducive to honest discussion.