Parkland, FL High School Shooting

Wow.  OMG.  And wow.

Ric - you mention your kids go to private school - how is it that you are so aware of OPS curriculum?  Do you live in the area?  Was that a consideration for why they go to public school?  I'm struggling with you saying we spend enough money on publicly schooled kids, but then wrapping my head around why you send yours to private.  Is it because you feel paying more gets them further?  Wouldn't that align to the fact that teachers/schools etc are underfunded?

And your comments about sex ed, and any public school urging experimentation and gay sex etc are just ignorant.  Awareness and urging are completely unrelated.

• Plus1 2

Just now, knapplc said:

The Husker Fans who post on this board are, in my experience, among the smartest of any Husker message board.  Being quite clever, we respect and expect factually-based discussions on just about every subject. You see that in Husker Football, in P&R, everywhere.  Many other Husker message boards, like most any message board, relies mostly on emotion-based arguments largely devoid of facts.

Here, we have a number of people who demand and respect facts.  We provide them in defense of our arguments and when crazypants arguments are presented, we ask for facts to be supplied to support those arguments. And not just any facts do, either.  We expect - and should expect - reliable, factual data.  It's the best and easiest way to have an honest discussion about any subject.

And here's the funny thing - the facts have led many of us to certain points of view. Not facts that we've gleaned to fit our preconceived notions, but actual basic raw facts. 

When confronted with facts, honest people conform to those facts, and change their opinions.  Dishonest people ignore facts, or find "alternate facts" that fit their preconceived notions. 

Those kinds of people don't tend to last here long.  And that's nobody's fault but theirs.

Oh My God. Yeah, you don’t have a particular point of view or set of opinions...just cold hard facts. Simple truths. So anyone who disagrees with you is anti-truth or spinning “alternative facts.” 

The crazy thing is I think you actually believe that. Holy crap.

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, from that Ted Kennedy branch of conservatism. Got it. LOL

have voted republican about 95% of my life...but...i will correct that now that the republican party ahs become the conspiracy party.

Edited by commando
  • Plus1 3
1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

Wow.  OMG.  And wow.

Ric - you mention your kids go to private school - how is it that you are so aware of OPS curriculum?  Do you live in the area?  Was that a consideration for why they go to public school?  I'm struggling with you saying we spend enough money on publicly schooled kids, but then wrapping my head around why you send yours to private.  Is it because you feel paying more gets them further?  Wouldn't that align to the fact that teachers/schools etc are underfunded?

And your comments about sex ed, and any public school urging experimentation and gay sex etc are just ignorant.  Awareness and urging are completely unrelated.

I was a part of the coalition of neighborhood and religious groups that opposed the new curriculum. Unfortunately Susie Buffett and the Sherwood Foundation have unlimited money and influence, so they were able to push the Planned Parenthood endorsed curriculum into the schools. Pretty sad.

I live in Omaha and spent part of my elementary school years in OPS schools prior to moving to Millard. OPS is largely a joke. They spend a ton of money and get very poor educational outcomes. As a college professor, the worst students I see are OPS graduates. Very few of them are even literate...and those are the ones who choose to attend college.

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I was a part of the coalition of neighborhood and religious groups that opposed the new curriculum. Unfortunately Susie Buffett and the Sherwood Foundation have unlimited money and influence, so they were able to push the Planned Parenthood endorsed curriculum into the schools. Pretty sad.

I live in Omaha and spent part of my elementary school years in OPS schools prior to moving to Millard. OPS is largely a joke. They spend a ton of money and get very poor educational outcomes. As a college professor, the worst students I see are OPS graduates. Very few of them are even literate...and those are the ones who choose to attend college.

Thanks for the clarity - it helps me to better understand how you've formed some of your opinions.

• Plus1 3
Just now, commando said:

and maybe a shout out to the mods is in order.   ric has swerved this thread way off topic.   can his posts be moved to a thread dedicated to his theories about sex ed?

Yeah, it’s all my fault. This happens on liberal message boards all the time. Decide that any opinions that disagree with your own are anti-truth and “fake news” and then do whatever is necessary to eliminate or silence them. Typical.

But by all means, let’s get back to discussing how you guys are going to go about repealing the Second Amendment and banning guns. Because that’s super practical and absolutely going to happen.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah, it’s all my fault. This happens on liberal message boards all the time. Decide that any opinions that disagree with your own are anti-truth and “fake news” and then do whatever is necessary to eliminate or silence them. Typical.

But by all means, let’s get back to discussing how you guys are going to go about repealing the Second Amendment and banning guns. Because that’s super practical and absolutely going to happen.

please check my post in the gun control thread and critique it over there.

and in a thread talking about a school shooting...you are determined to derail it into a thread about sex ed.   for the highly  educated man you claim to be you sure do seem to have trouble staying on topic.

Edited by commando
  • Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

LOL, I'd wager that this problem follows you around, and it's everyone else's fault but your own... :thumbs

And I don't think anyone is talking about repealing the Second Amendment. IF anything, they're talking about going back to a more traditional, pre-NRA viewpoint on the intent of the Amendment. But when you are posting like an extremist political troll, everything is black/white, right/wrong, and being able to understand and view things in shades of gray (as they actually are) is nigh impossible.

Seriously--you need to get a new perspective on life and your community, because the one you have right now is toxic and makes you come across as mentally unstable.  

21 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

I'd actually love to have the sex ed/curriculum stuff in a separate thread - the discussion deserves it.

Only if we host it in the Woodshed and the mods allow us to post pics. 

Edited by VectorVictor
  • Plus1 3

Just now, VectorVictor said:

LOL, I'd wager that this problem follows you around, and it's everyone else's fault but your own... :thumbs

And I don't think anyone is talking about repealing the Second Amendment. IF anything, they're talking about going back to a more traditional, pre-NRA viewpoint on the intent of the Amendment. But when you are posting like an extremist political troll, everything is black/white, right/wrong, and being able to understand and view things in shades of gray (as they actually are) is nigh impossible.

Seriously--you need to get a new perspective on life and your community, because the one you have right now is toxic and makes you come across as mentally unstable.  

My views are pretty mainstream conservative and shared by roughly half of the community. But because they disagree with yours, you decide they’re “mentally unstable.” 

Typical.

I’ve seen a number of people advocating for repealing the Second Amendment and otherwise trying to ban guns. If you haven’t, it’s because you haven’t looked. My views on OPS are shared by A LOT of people in this community. Their inept and hopelessly dysfunctional Board is a big part of the problem. But it’s been a trainwreck since the Schuerman years, when good old Norbert the Fat Cat was lining his pockets and those of his friends with public funds.

There is no reason to ban semi-automatic guns.   Sure, the AR is a semi-auto but it isn't why people use them for these killings.  They are used because they are more compact, lighter and can be modified with bump stocks, high-capacity magazines and an assortment of other gadgets.  

Also, an AR or any other semi-auto are NOT assault rifles.   An assault rifle has the capability to fire fully automatic.  They are equipped with a switch that allows them to either fire on semi-auto or full auto.  Fully auto guns are illegal to possess and can not be bought in stores. 

11 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My views are pretty mainstream conservative and shared by roughly half of the community. But because they disagree with yours, you decide they’re “mentally unstable.” 

Typical.

I’ve seen a number of people advocating for repealing the Second Amendment and otherwise trying to ban guns. If you haven’t, it’s because you haven’t looked. My views on OPS are shared by A LOT of people in this community. Their inept and hopelessly dysfunctional Board is a big part of the problem. But it’s been a trainwreck since the Schuerman years, when good old Norbert the Fat Cat was lining his pockets and those of his friends with public funds.

thats how i see the current administration in washington

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

There is no reason to ban semi-automatic guns.   Sure, the AR is a semi-auto but it isn't why people use them for these killings.  They are used because they are more compact, lighter and can be modified with bump stocks, high-capacity magazines and an assortment of other gadgets.  

Also, an AR or any other semi-auto are NOT assault rifles.   An assault rifle has the capability to fire fully automatic.  They are equipped with a switch that allows them to either fire on semi-auto or full auto.  Fully auto guns are illegal to possess and can not be bought in stores. 

So Stumpy, why would a hunter need to have a high capacity magazine and etc?  

I assume that those who advocate for guns for "protection" are talking hand guns, so why would this sort of gun serve a purpose other than mass harm?

3 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

So Stumpy, why would a hunter need to have a high capacity magazine and etc?  

I assume that those who advocate for guns for "protection" are talking hand guns, so why would this sort of gun serve a purpose other than mass harm?

You don't need a high-capacity magazine for hunting.  I have stated that before in this very thread.   I would say 90% of people that buy ARs use them at a shooting range or just to go out in the country and fire off a few rounds.  They are actually fun to shoot.   I do not know anyone that uses them to hunt with exclusively but will use one to take a shot at a coyote or coon if the time arises.