Parkland, FL High School Shooting

3 hours ago, commando said:

my wife is a retired teacher and my sister in law is a teacher.  they both think this idea is crazy.  they are teachers....not rambo

I had a good FB thread with friends and family last night.  A lot of opinions on both sides.  Funny thing is, all the teachers (except one former teacher that even admitted it has a lot of flaws) that posted in the thread agreed: this is pointless, dumb, and potentially dangerous.

1 minute ago, Whistlebritches said:

I had the same thoughts in regard to both high capacity magazines as well as semi automatic. What possible need is there for either thing beyond the obvious that the bad guys have it and so should the good guys? Then I saw an article about someone in one of the more southern states that uses his AR to hunt feral hogs on his property. Makes total sense and its something I would have never thought of. There are reasons out there.

There is no reason for high capacity magazines in hunting.  When I take my bolt action rifle deer hunting, a lot of times, I will put only two shells in.  Maybe 3 max.  When you shoot at a deer, I want a second shell ready so that if I injure the animal without killing it, I have another shell ready to finish it off.  If you completely miss, there is no way in hell the deer is going to stand there for you to use more than 3 shots.

As for semi-automatic, there is no reason for big game hunting like deer or elk.  In fact, I think it's illegal to use a semi automatic rifle for these types of hunts.  Now, a semi-automatic is very useful for bird hunting.  A semi-automatic for a shotgun is not any more deadly to humans than a pump.  However, for birds, many hunters prefer them for various reasons.

1 hour ago, Whistlebritches said:

I had the same thoughts in regard to both high capacity magazines as well as semi automatic. What possible need is there for either thing beyond the obvious that the bad guys have it and so should the good guys? Then I saw an article about someone in one of the more southern states that uses his AR to hunt feral hogs on his property. Makes total sense and its something I would have never thought of. There are reasons out there.

There are other weapons hunters can use to shoot feral pigs.  That's more of an "I want to use an AR-15" than an "I have to use an AR-15."

Edited by knapplc
  • Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Maybe the officer had bone spurs??? :dunno

A quote from the article begs this question  -  Why does it matter what the NRA thinks?  Why does it matter if the NRA wants to do the 'right thing'.:dunno

Think about it.  This just tells me how much power the NRA has on policy and policy makers. It isn't a question of whether the NRA wants to do the right thing, it is a question of do the policy makers want to do the right thing.   This is like saying The National Association of Illegal Drug Makers (made up - so don't google it ) want to do the right thing and will allow policy makers to consider restricting the importation of illegal drugs across the boarder.

I believe in 2nd amendment rights and gun ownership, but a private entity should not be dictating what is or what is not acceptable public policy.  They have the right to lobby but their influence has gotten too strong IMHO.

President Donald Trump says the National Rifle Association “wants to do the right thing” in response to last week’s Florida school shooting.

Trump is calling for raising the minimum age for purchasing semi-automatic rifles in the wake of the mass killing — a move opposed by the NRA. But Trump says he’s been speaking with the group, “and they do want to do the right thing.”

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

President Donald Trump says the National Rifle Association “wants to do the right thing” in response to last week’s Florida school shooting.

Trump is calling for raising the minimum age for purchasing semi-automatic rifles in the wake of the mass killing — a move opposed by the NRA. But Trump says he’s been speaking with the group, “and they do want to do the right thing.”

Someone might want to tell the NRA that.  I listened to quite a few clips over the last 24 hours of NRA spokespeople talking.  They sure don't sound like they "want to do the right thing" if Trump really did talk to them about more gun regulations.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Someone might want to tell the NRA that.  I listened to quite a few clips over the last 24 hours of NRA spokespeople talking.  They sure don't sound like they "want to do the right thing" if Trump really did talk to them about more gun regulations.

That woman, the NRA spokesperson, is bats#!t crazy. She fabricated some attack at an event she was speaking at, claimed the crowd was chanting "burn her!" and all kinds of stuff. 

There's video of the event. None of that happened. 

• Plus1 4

Only in the worst of all possible administrations do we respond to a nation-shaking tragedy like this by making an organized public push for arming schoolteachers. It speaks to the deep-seated Republican desire for a militarist state; armed enforcement everywhere to keep us “safe”. This terrifying vision is many things. “Free” is not one of them.

52 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There are other weapons hunters can use to shoot feral pigs.  That's more of an "I want to use an AR-15" than an "I have to use an AR-15."

And you believe this is relevant why exactly?

Only in the worst of all possible administrations do we respond to a nation-shaking tragedy like this by making an organized public push for arming schoolteachers. It speaks to the deep-seated Republican desire for a militarist state; armed enforcement everywhere to keep us “safe”. This terrifying vision is many things. “Free” is not one of them.

A suggestion that civilians be given the option to defend themselves is indicative of a desire for a militant state and is the antithesis of 'free'? 

Edited by Muck

4 minutes ago, knapplc said:

:yeah

I'm not sure why this question is being asked. It's part of the long conversation about the necessity/unnecessity of weapons like that.

And therein lies  a large part of the problem.

There are many outlets in which you have the ability to express your opinion, why should you be allowed to do so on the internet?

Edited by Muck