Parkland, FL High School Shooting

2 minutes ago, commando said:

somehow the discussion about a school shooting has morphed into a debate about the finer points of masturbation and the morality of teaching morality in school.  good job huskerboard.  

Ha!  But yet...everyone posting here can solve all the problems in the world!

5 minutes ago, Big Red 40 said:

TheSker  - can you really argue that intolerance , discrimination and hate are more beneficial to society than tolerance, humility, and love? 

That is not even close to what I'm "arguing".

But again, being intolerant of the intolerant is circular.

5 minutes ago, TheSker said:

That is not even close to what I'm "arguing".

But again, being intolerant of the intolerant is circular.

We should tolerate self-imposed ignorance and out right lies?

Edited by ZRod
  • Plus1 2

12 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

What constitutes policy inaction is a matter of perspective. Why not allow teachers to carry guns? Why not hire unemployed veterans and arm them to guard schools? Why do you assume that any policy action necessarily has to require limitations on gun ownership?

Because both of those ideas are incredibly, inexplicably awful, and do nothing to address the actual problem. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

We should tolerate self-imposed ignorance and out right lies?

In this country, we have the rights to expression and speech, correct?

There is a difference between tolerate and discern.  I've received a lot of advice in my life.  I've taken some, I've filtered some and I've ignored some.

15 minutes ago, TheSker said:

In this country, we have the rights to expression and speech, correct?

Your speech cannot be abridged by the government. We are not the government - nor are we abridging your speech.

The First Amendment doesn't stop anyone from disagreeing with your opinion, which is all that's happening here. Appealing to the First Amendment on an internet message board is a non sequitur.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

It is not the actual curriculum.

Try going to OPS' actual website, not some joke of a site like "massresistance.org," which is denounced as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

On OPS' actual curriculum page, which is linked in the site you're using, they do not describe teaching anything about anal sex to grade-school children. Anal sex is mentioned in the 8th grade curriculum:

Please stop embellishing the points you're trying to make.  "Grade school" is not 8th grade, it's K-5th.

Eighth Graders are Middle School, and are well inside the age that studies show kids are having sex. These kids need education on safe sex, pregnancy & disease protection, and denying them that protection leads to unwanted STDs, pregnancies and societal problems.

Every conservative group on the planet is characterized as a hate group by the SPLC. There’s a good argument to be made that the SPLC is a hate group. It’s an absolute joke. 

The website itself quotes the actual curriculum used. Of course OPS isn’t going to want the public to know the details. That was one of the key controversies when they were debating implementing it. OPS was hiding and being dishonest about what it entailed.

We’re quibbling now over whether 8th grade is grade school or middle school? That’s the best you can do? Because teaching Johnny how to lube up is cool if he’s 12 or 13, but maybe not if he’s 10 or 11. Way to miss the point entirely.

25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Because both of those ideas are incredibly, inexplicably awful, and do nothing to address the actual problem. 

Are they? I’m not advocating we implement them, simply that they be considered as options. They’re far more realistic than going house to house to forcibly take the more than 300 million guns Americans own.

13 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Why not hire unemployed veterans and arm them to guard schools?

I hope I'm not the only one scratching my head with this suggestion.

We have a lot of veterans that are coming home from multiple deployments in war torn areas.  It has been well documented that many of these have a hard time readjusting to civilian life due to mental and emotional trauma they endured while over seas.  I greatly appreciate their sacrifices and 100% respect everything they have done.

But....is this really the people we want walking around our schools carrying guns?  I remember having a teacher in HS that was in Vietnam.  He suffered from PTSD.  Everyone loved the guy to death.  But, there is no way I would want him walking around the school with a loaded gun.

I'm sure advocates of this policy will say that they will be well screened.  BS....many times these disorders don't show up immediately to be diagnosed.  You don't know when something is going to trip an episode.  I remember the above mentioned teacher being at a basketball game and the crowd all of a sudden caused him to have an episode that wasn't very pleasant for him and anyone that knew it was happening.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

How about teaching reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic?

My thought is one reason this country is in bad fiscal shape is the dollars we spend trying to legislate morality.

Public schools have become a joke in part because they are now used to force feed a particular ideology rather than to simply teach kids to read, write, etc. 

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I must have missed this being advocated.

You haven’t seen ANYONE in the media advocating a simple gun ban? I’ve seen several making that argument.

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I hope I'm not the only one scratching my head with this suggestion.

We have a lot of veterans that are coming home from multiple deployments in war torn areas.  It has been well documented that many of these have a hard time readjusting to civilian life due to mental and emotional trauma they endured while over seas.  I greatly appreciate their sacrifices and 100% respect everything they have done.

But....is this really the people we want walking around our schools carrying guns?  I remember having a teacher in HS that was in Vietnam.  He suffered from PTSD.  Everyone loved the guy to death.  But, there is no way I would want him walking around the school with a loaded gun.

I'm sure advocates of this policy will say that they will be well screened.  BS....many times these disorders don't show up immediately to be diagnosed.  You don't know when something is going to trip an episode.  I remember the above mentioned teacher being at a basketball game and the crowd all of a sudden caused him to have an episode that wasn't very pleasant for him and anyone that knew it was happening.

I think screening can be very effective. It certainly beats assuming that any veteran who’s been deployed is emotionally compromised, on the verge of some sort of breakdown, and not to be trusted.