Driverless cars.

Just now, GSG said:

I'm not familiar with how the driverless part works, but if it fails, how is that on the driver? 

Oh, that could entirely be on Tesla. But the brakes are an independent system just like in any other car and should also disengage the autopark (like taping your brakes in cruise control). But if the driver was pressing the brakes I'd expect the car to have stopped or seen smoke coming from the brake pads, so it doesn't add up to me. Based on the limited evidence we have, I'd guess the Tesla didn't park like the driver expected and then the driver hit the accelerator instead of the brakes followed by panicking and pressing the accelerator harder..

That's why there needs to be an investigation. Fortunately, Teslas record their inputs and settings, so there should be a record of what actually happened at least as far as the brakes and accelerator.

• Thanks 1

Just wanted to add that autopark is apparently available with no driver in the car, which I didn't know. If Tesla allows no driver and that was the case here (not sure as the reporting is vague about where the driver was), then 100% this is on Tesla and should come with strong repercussions.

• Plus1 1
On 11/14/2022 at 10:15 AM, GSG said:

I'm not familiar with how the driverless part works, but if it fails, how is that on the driver? 

Autopilot or self driving "fails" all the time. That's why the disclaimer says you have to be alert and hands on the wheel at all times. With current technology, across the board, software can become confused and disengage at anytime. There's plenty of videos of this from all OEMs.

This case could be like the infamous Toyota issues. People hitting the gas instead of the brake. I never saw brake lights come on for the Tesla video.