Huskers looking to add grad transfer at QB?

15 minutes ago, brophog said:

Which makes a lot of sense. On the other hand, this staff doesn't throw false praise around. If they're saying something about a kid, it's because that's their honest views based on practice.

I agree. I'm glad he's on the roster providing value. But saying he's moving around well in practice doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to lead us to where we want to be. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

His 39 passing attempts are 39 more than the other candidates to start in 2018 (assuming Vedral doesn't gain eligibility).

someone taking snaps during garbage time at one university shouldn’t make them a front runner to start at another.  That’s all I’m saying.  The notion of “experience” is overhyped in cases like this

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Warrior10 said:

I hope this wasn't in response to my thoughts/post.

It sort of was.  Burrow can’t beat a guy that has 18 more career passes but he should feel confident he can just come in and take a starting job at another P5 school with nothing more than 39 passes in his career?  I don’t buy it.

You may very well be correct.  I just personally don’t see that he would have a leg up on any other QB at Nebraska currently based on that.

• Plus1 2

StPaul is on the right track here.  Bunch and Burrow would be in the same boat at NU - however that boat would be very similar to the other two options currently on campus.  NV is the only guy that stands out and he will need a favorable decision to find the field this year.

45 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

It sort of was.  Burrow can’t beat a guy that has 18 more career passes but he should feel confident he can just come in and take a starting job at another P5 school with nothing more than 39 passes in his career?  I don’t buy it.

You may very well be correct.  I just personally don’t see that he would have a leg up on any other QB at Nebraska currently based on that.

Then you totally missed most of my point.  He wouldn't necessarily show up with a leg up. He'd give us another quality horse in the race, which we need. He should be confident that the race is truly wide open, which is all one can ask for. 

And I'd argue being in a race at OhioSt is a completely different level than here. But that's another conversation. 

Edited by Warrior10
9 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

StPaul is on the right track here.  Bunch and Burrow would be in the same boat at NU - however that boat would be very similar to the other two options currently on campus.  NV is the only guy that stands out and he will need a favorable decision to find the field this year.

Even if Vedral gets a waiver it doesn’t mean anything to me.  He played sparingly against teams in the AAC.  He, in my opinion, has no more advantage than the other QB’s.

He could be the greatest Nebraska QB ever.  No one knows.  His experience at UCF doesn’t make me lean either way.  Now if he had come in and started due to Milton being injured and had more games behind him, I might have a different opinion.

• Plus1 1

Based on recruiting rankings, ratings, high school stats, division 1 offers, college experience (both in terms of practice time, games, etc), POB should be considered a 'decent' QB by any reasonable measure.   Most on this board were pretty positive and excited to have him accept our offer to come play for DONU as I recall.   He wasn't a speedster nor was he considered a top 'dual threat' QB but he was not an invalid and or crippled and incapable of moving around and running at least a little bit.

Based on the foregoing 'facts' or assumptions, then it is arguable that our QB room is not 'empty' as he was apparently running no better than 3rd or 4th on the depth chart after about 7 practices.   (not enough to dump him off the roster in my view but then I don't get to watch practices as these coaches do).   It seems that POB was willing to give this offense a try as he would have likely transferred out in January in time to get spring ball at his future home.   

I don't see any real value in recruiting a grad transfer in here this summer UNLESS the coaches are desperate or feel they really have only one true 'starter' and one marginal backup on the team.   If so, then we need to either move somebody already on the team to a back up role as an emergency guy if nothing else or we need to strongly consider the offense we plan to run this fall accordingly.   If we don't have QBs enough to run the Frost offense, then we better adapt to the available talent.   

I would tend to think, based on the above, that Frost feels we will have QBs on the team that can run his offense sufficiently, without POB or he'd still be on the team and he would not have been 'let go' via demotion on the depth chart this quickly.   This is a good sign to me.   

POB was not a 'bad' QB by most measures.  If Gebbia and the others are better, then things look promising to me.      

8 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Then you totally missed most of my point.  He wouldn't necessarily show up with a leg up. He'd give us another quality horse in the race, which we need. He should be confident that the race is truly wide open, which is all one can ask for. 

And I'd argue being in a race at OhioSt is a completely different level than here. But that's another conversation. 

I’d argue at Ohio St he has a 50% chance of being the starter.  At Nebraska he would have a 25%.  Seems he should be more confident where he is

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I’d argue at Ohio St he has a 50% chance of being the starter.  At Nebraska he would have a 25%.  Seems he should be more confident where he is

Not all QBs are made equal, so those percentages don't make sense. It all depends on how good the other QBs are. If all of Nebraska's QBs are worse than the ones Burrow's competing against at OSU, he has a better chance of being the starter here. Of course, that's not quite how it works either, because he's practiced in Meyer's offense.

Edited by Moiraine
  • Plus1 3
38 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Not all QBs are made equal, so those percentages don't make sense. It all depends on how good the other QBs are. If all of Nebraska's QBs are worse than the ones Burrow's competing against at OSU, he has a better chance of being the starter here. Of course, that's not quite how it works either, because he's practiced in Meyer's offense.

You’re reinforcing my original point that we don’t know how good Burrow is and to suggest that he could come into Nebraska and be confident from the jump that he could start

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

Even if Vedral gets a waiver it doesn’t mean anything to me.  He played sparingly against teams in the AAC.  He, in my opinion, has no more advantage than the other QB’s.

He could be the greatest Nebraska QB ever.  No one knows.  His experience at UCF doesn’t make me lean either way.  Now if he had come in and started due to Milton being injured and had more games behind him, I might have a different opinion.

You don’t think Vedral’s experience of being in Frost’s offense for a season, seeing it played in games last year, and leading that offense in a number of games last year is valuable?  To me, if Vedral were eligible for 2018, that would mean a lot in a competition against the other 3 NU QB’s who haven’t played in Frost’s system yet. 

13 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

You’re reinforcing my original point that we don’t know how good Burrow is and to suggest that he could come into Nebraska and be confident from the jump that he could start

That's fine. I know almost nothing about Burrow. Was just arguing the logic of your statement.