Cryptocurrencies

7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

For me and the advice I gave my college aged son, was that if you have extra money and you are looking for a grandslam investment with a very high risk, then get some crypto and plan on not looking at for 10 years unless it pops again.   

It’s not a bad strategy for someone in their 20’s to throw a few thousand into it knowing they have a lifetime of investment opportunities to make that back quickly 

The bold is important.  Sure, if you have a couple thousand you are OK with losing, go for it.  I have had a problem with celebrities or others who promote these as great investments.

• Plus1 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I had been curious about investing in crypto currencies, understanding they were high risk investments, and I could lose all the cash invested.  Unfortunately, too many people thought the crypto wave from 2021 would go on forever.

One of the customers for the company I work for is a cryptocurrency that hit it big for about a year, and has crashed the past few months.  It went from $2 to over $200, and has come crashing back down to less than $20.  This company was spending over $1M with us a month, but has recently stopped paying our invoices.  We think that they don't have much liquidity due to the decline in their price of their cryptocurrency.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

So, this whole FTX thing is going to be interesting. Cryptocurrency has prided itself as being free from government regulation and control.  

So, now a guy basically stole everyone’s money and people want government involved. 

To some extent, this will force government to put in regulations.  And, that’s what crypto fans don’t want. 

• TBH 1
14 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, this whole FTX thing is going to be interesting. Cryptocurrency has prided itself as being free from government regulation and control.  

So, now a guy basically stole everyone’s money and people want government involved. 

To some extent, this will force government to put in regulations.  And, that’s what crypto fans don’t want. 

I originally thought cryptocurrencies made sense, but I've learned more about the history of money policy and currencies and think cryptocurrencies are a terrible idea. Plus cryptocurrencies take a large amount of energy because of the need or many redundant calculations whereas a bank can do a much simpler calculation once.

I think large institutions like governments and banks will implement regulated blockchain transactions, which will eliminate the advantage of cryptocurrency except for criminal enterprises, tax evaders, and anti-government fanatics.

21 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I originally thought cryptocurrencies made sense, but I've learned more about the history of money policy and currencies and think cryptocurrencies are a terrible idea. Plus cryptocurrencies take a large amount of energy because of the need or many redundant calculations whereas a bank can do a much simpler calculation once.

I think large institutions like governments and banks will implement regulated blockchain transactions, which will eliminate the advantage of cryptocurrency except for criminal enterprises, tax evaders, and anti-government fanatics.

What do you think blockchain transactions would do for banking?