The Danger of Hype

I listened to an interesting discussion on 1620 the Zone today on the dangers of hype.  There was an article from Land of Ten that was cited during the discussion where Tanner Lee's mom shared that she was so scared of all the hype surrounding her son before he had even played at Nebraska. (https://www.landof10.com/nebraska/nebraska-football-tanner-lee-nfl-draft-2018-nfl-mothers-day) The broadcaster (I think if was Nick Bahs (sp?) said that he bought into the hype surrounding Tanner Lee because reputable scouts had said how good he was.  He shared that we as fans and the sportswriters, etc. forget that under the helmet with the red N is a person-a son or a brother and alluded to the fact that hype could be dangerous.

As I listened to the discussion I thought of all the players drafted for Nebraska or coaches that have come to Nebraska and the hype that surrounded them.  Nick B. clarified that Scott Frost and other veteran players for Nebraska are exempt as they EARNED their hype.  He was  talking about players that were hyped up before they even did anything at Nebraska and how after they got here and played/coached it was a disaster.   So my question is this to Huskerboard: Is hype dangerous?  Inquiring minds want to know.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I get it...but only morons and Riley's friends hyped up Lee.

Hype isn't bad...it is awesome.

I’ve taken a legit IQ test (granted that was when I was still in school) that scored me 100 points higher than a moron, but whatever tickles your toockus.

• Plus1 2

Dangerous for whom?  I think Tanner Lee probably looks awesome in practice and working on QB stuff in isolation which probably fooled Riley and his staff. I wonder how Riley even knew Lee wanted out Tulane? There must be a middleman, kind of like an agent,  but of course college kids don’t have agents. Right? 

3 minutes ago, Edison's Enemy said:

I’ve taken a legit IQ test (granted that was when I was still in school) that scored me 100 points higher than a moron, but whatever tickles your toockus.

Did that test have any questions about Riley and/or Lee?  If not...tack on another 40 points to your score

Also...is my toockus JUST my butt????

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Did that test have any questions about Riley and/or Lee?  If not...tack on another 40 points to your score

Also...is my toockus JUST my butt????

Lol I just fell into the Lee-in-shorts trap. He looked Reeeally good. Oh well.

Indeed it is. Although further research shows it’s actually a Yiddish word spelled “tuchus”.

I learned something today!!!

• Plus1 2

Hype can be dangerous if it's not handled the right way.

I think back to the Cub's 2016 World Series run (and Joe Maddon's management style in general) which embraces expectations and confronts them head on in a positive way. He uses expectations as a foundational cornerstone of what they do and he rarely shies away from the significance of something.

I think hype/expectations become a problem if you either a) believe something will happen without putting in the necessary work or b) you let the fear of not meeting those expectations impact your ability to do your job. Given one of Frost's core mantras is 'no fear of failure,' I have a feeling his teams are not going to shy away from expectations or crumble under their weight.

• Plus1 2

Just get better every day. They are in a very controlled environment. They can lift, study film, eat, stretch, etc etc that they can improve everyday.  

Its harder for us old farts to “control” that steady approach. Pay bills, manage kids, work, life, marriage, religion etc...

sure, there are lot of things these players can do to distract them but overall it’s being a student, a good citizen, and a football player. It’s all there for them expectations or not. THAT IS THE CULTURE Frost is trying to grow. 

Just get better every day. If you try at that, the expectations will be met, or if they’re not (lose games) at least they gave it all. Seems like we been missing that for some time, that expectations are met when hard ass work is applied. 

Thays what we want, right? To go 13-0 or go down swinging. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Enhance said:

Hype can be dangerous if it's not handled the right way.

I think back to the Cub's 2016 World Series run (and Joe Maddon's management style in general) which embraces expectations and confronts them head on in a positive way. He uses expectations as a foundational cornerstone of what they do and he rarely shies away from the significance of something.

I think hype/expectations become a problem if you either a) believe something will happen without putting in the necessary work or b) you let the fear of not meeting those expectations impact your ability to do your job. Given one of Frost's core mantras is 'no fear of failure,' I have a feeling his teams are not going to shy away from expectations or crumble under their weight.

I don't think those two words should be used interchangeably. You can hype up anything, that doesn't necessarily suggest an expectation. Frost is certainly hyping up Husker football, and not shying away from the hype that surrounds the program, but he does so while setting relatively low expectations for year one. He did the same thing last year during their run...don't kill the hype, but do remind everyone that nothing had been accomplished yet. You must have hype, you must have energy or you don't have sold out stadiums and the associated revenue necessary.

These two words do get used interchangeably, though, because hype can infer expectation. That's where the problem lies, because inferred expectations are often those based on very little or based on situations that are not necessarily analogous. Quarterbacks "in pajamas" are a great example. How do you reconcile this? By doing exactly what the staff is doing....they don't attempt to neutralize hype but they are honest in regards to the positives and negatives, and quick to point out situations that may infer false expectations.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Edison's Enemy said:

Lol I just fell into the Lee-in-shorts trap. He looked Reeeally good. Oh well.

Indeed it is. Although further research shows it’s actually a Yiddish word spelled “tuchus”.

I learned something today!!!

I didn't know that either!  

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's not dangerous, it's just insanely frustrating when you have to watch the hype train completely derail into a 4-8 train wreck when it didn't have to be that way.

I can still remember watching the first game last year and thinking that the season would be just fine...looking back on it now that game was pretty darn close to another loss.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I can still remember watching the first game last year and thinking that the season would be just fine...looking back on it now that game was pretty darn close to another loss.

Yeah that game royally pissed me off, I came here and vented, many tried reassuring me it was better than it looked and rewatching it would make me rethink things.  I conceded.

That was a mistake on my part.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Redux said:

Yeah that game royally pissed me off, I came here and vented, many tried reassuring me it was better than it looked and rewatching it would make me rethink things.  I conceded.

That was a mistake on my part.

I was the same way...it was like "Oh, first game, new DC, new QB..." blah blah blah...

But shoot, NU was closer to being a 3 win team last year...maybe 2?  That Purdue game was crazy