** 2018 Opponent Previews: Wisconsin (Game 6) **

On 8/11/2018 at 1:07 PM, Mavric said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/25-college-football-qbs-id-pay-see-2018-045110335.html

16. Alex Hornibrook, Wisconsin. There were times last season when the Badgers won in spite of Hornibrook, not because of him (his 15 interceptions were second most in the Big Ten only to pick machine Tanner Lee of Nebraska with 16). But Hornibrook settled down late in the season and led Wisconsin past Iowa and Michigan, and nearly past Ohio State in the league title game. If he steps up his game this season, Wisconsin is a legitimate national title threat.

• Plus1 2

I understand why these articles are discussing Wisconsin making a run this year based on roster and past success, but I don't understand it based on Wisconsin's schedule. 

If they go undefeated, with a quality conference championship opponent, they're probably in based on how few undefeated P5 teams we've seen in the CFP era. But even one loss is devastating. They'll get no credit for their non-conference schedule (WKU, NM, BYU) and only marginal credit for the division games. They're schedule strength rests largely in Michigan and Penn St, each of whom could be 4 loss teams themselves.

1 hour ago, Treand3 said:

Gotta happen this year or they won't be that close for a while imo.

Don't think much points to Wisconsin going anywhere.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:51 PM, FTW said:

I could see our speed being an issue for Wisconsin. Take away their run game and force Hornibrook to beat us with his arm. Maybe for once we force 3 or 4 turnovers and cash in. I want us to put Camp Randall to bed early. 

Under Paul Chryst, only Ohio State's speed has caused issue for Wisconsin.  Don't think Nebraska is there.

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, badgers007 said:

Don't think much points to Wisconsin going anywhere.

Under Paul Chryst, only Ohio State's speed has caused issue for Wisconsin.  Don't think Nebraska is there.

Never said they are going anywhere, just being talked about as a legit playoff contender. They'll be a strong program, but strong enough to be a legit CFP contender.

12 hours ago, Redux said:

If I'm being completely honest I think they would have to go 13-0 to get in and there is zero chance they do that.  I fully expect Penn State to slaughter them.

I'm agreeing. It just sounds like a terrible situation to be in. Imagine Nebraska goes 10-2 and barely loses to Wisconsin and Ohio State with Wisconsin going to the B1G championship undefeated. Say they lose a close one to that same Ohio State team.

In a hypothetical playoff scenario where every top 5 team had 1 or 2 losses, a 10-2 non conference champ Nebraska with our schedule is a better opponent than a 12-1 Wisconsin team.

So, yeah, I agree that Wisconsin would need to be the undefeated B1G champs if they want to get into the playoff. I'd love for Nebraska to be the big fat L on Wisconsin's schedule though :D

2 hours ago, FTW said:

I'm agreeing. It just sounds like a terrible situation to be in. Imagine Nebraska goes 10-2 and barely loses to Wisconsin and Ohio State with Wisconsin going to the B1G championship undefeated. Say they lose a close one to that same Ohio State team.

In a hypothetical playoff scenario where every top 5 team had 1 or 2 losses, a 10-2 non conference champ Nebraska with our schedule is a better opponent than a 12-1 Wisconsin team.

So, yeah, I agree that Wisconsin would need to be the undefeated B1G champs if they want to get into the playoff. I'd love for Nebraska to be the big fat L on Wisconsin's schedule though :D

I'll sleep perfectly soundly going 10-2 with a win over Wiscy knowing it will keep them out of the playoff.  Conference loyalty means squat to me.

4 hours ago, Redux said:

I'll sleep perfectly soundly going 10-2 with a win over Wiscy knowing it will keep them out of the playoff.  Conference loyalty means squat to me.

10-2 would be an incredible turn around. That's pretty much my ceiling for this year. That would mean we split 1-2 of the big 3 in Wisc/Mich/OSU or beat Wisc/Mich and lose to OSU and a weird game to Purdue or something (not joking, Brohm is a helluva coach.)

We've proven in the past that the Big House is not an intimidating place to play so I think we've got a shot there. But this is about Wisconsin. Gebbia or Martinez primetime under the lights in Madison is a tall order. If one or the other struggles, I expect a change would be made. Frost doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'll sit back and try to pound a square peg into a round hole (Riley.)

Worst case scenario is we finish the regular season 8-4. 9-3 is definitely attainable. So many different scenarios. If Duval is as good as advertised and our guys stay healthy all year, anything is possible. Orlando, FL and the AAC is one thing. Lincoln, NE and the B1G is an entirely different animal.

• Plus1 1