On July 4th, Republican lawmakers went to Moscow

2 hours ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Trying to answer within the confines of the poor analogy...because that's what bank robbers do, they rob banks, it doesn't surprise me. Heck, I can avoid even knowing the bank was robbed...unless and until I venture into the HB P&R forum. Maybe I should be happy that there are still some in this country that care what our leaders do and expect them to do the right things. But the realist in me knows expecting anything other than the worst from any politician, anyone who associates with an R or D behind their name, is a complete waste of time. They've all found bottom and are digging for new lows. It's not news. It's exactly what I expect.

J.J., I say this as somebody who generally likes hearing your take on things, and can't say you're entirely wrong about politicians in general... but think about what you're saying.

Republicans get into power, do (mostly) awful things.

People complain.

Why be upset about the latter? It's justified if their leadership and decision-making is poor. 

Getting upset at people for people complaining about their intransigence is exactly what Republicans want you to do.

• Plus1 3

3 hours ago, Clifford Franklin said:

J.J., I say this as somebody who generally likes hearing your take on things, and can't say you're entirely wrong about politicians in general... but think about what you're saying.

Republicans get into power, do (mostly) awful things.

People complain.

Why be upset about the latter? It's justified if their leadership and decision-making is poor. 

Getting upset at people for people complaining about their intransigence is exactly what Republicans want you to do.

I'm not upset with people complaining about it. I'm just personally tired of all of it, the people causing the problems and hearing/seeing the complaints about it. I should probably just stay out of these topics with my mood the way it's been for some time now. I like you guys and respect your opinions. That's what draws me into these discussions. I'm just way too cynical and fed up with things to get upset over anything that happens anymore. Like I said before, I expect the worst and they keep delivering. I don't hold out any hope that things will ever improve much as our political system has been steadily going downhill for a long time. However, I do believe we will survive and well soon have a new boss basically the same as the old boss but maybe not quite such a jackass.

As for the Thomas Paine quote, that's probably correct and the better way to deal with it but I am just too fatigued of it and I don't see where anything I want makes a difference in the least to anyone that matters. So I say screw it and look on as it spirals out of control. Basically I'm a terrible Patriot.

38 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

I'm not upset with people complaining about it. I'm just personally tired of all of it, the people causing the problems and hearing/seeing the complaints about it. I should probably just stay out of these topics with my mood the way it's been for some time now. I like you guys and respect your opinions. That's what draws me into these discussions. I'm just way too cynical and fed up with things to get upset over anything that happens anymore. Like I said before, I expect the worst and they keep delivering. I don't hold out any hope that things will ever improve much as our political system has been steadily going downhill for a long time. However, I do believe we will survive and well soon have a new boss basically the same as the old boss but maybe not quite such a jackass.

As for the Thomas Paine quote, that's probably correct and the better way to deal with it but I am just too fatigued of it and I don't see where anything I want makes a difference in the least to anyone that matters. So I say screw it and look on as it spirals out of control. Basically I'm a terrible Patriot.

That's how most of us feel. There's not a whole lot we can do but discuss it but I personally don't think discussing it is 100% futile.

One way I differ is I do have a small amount of fear of what will happen if Trump loses the election. He will have spent the previous 3.5 years bashing the media. Let's suppose he tells all his supporters the media is lying about the results and the Democrats + the X million illegals voting stole the election? Many of them will believe it.

Another way is I believe Trump is doing and has done lasting damage to the country and it's not so simple as getting the next president.

1 hour ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Hey man, I'm right there with you. I took the last week off because I just couldn't handle our politics anymore. I needed a break away from everything to recharge for my own sanity. Between the hyperpolarization between different teams & the general negativity of it all it wears on even the best of us.

But I'm going to try to suck it up and help out this fall to see if I can make any difference at all. I'm in lockstep with you insofar as our politics is definitely a lot of theater to make us think we have some degree of control. More & more I'm seeing it as a massively corrupt machine in which the same small, powerful, wealthy, well-connected circles of people pull all the strings. I'm going to try to put a little manpower in this fall to at least try to rip a little bit of the power away from their hands & expel at least a few of the worst pawns in their machine.

• Plus1 2

29 minutes ago, Clifford Franklin said:

Hey man, I'm right there with you. I took the last week off because I just couldn't handle our politics anymore. I needed a break away from everything to recharge for my own sanity. Between the hyperpolarization between different teams & the general negativity of it all it wears on even the best of us.

But I'm going to try to suck it up and help out this fall to see if I can make any difference at all. I'm in lockstep with you insofar as our politics is definitely a lot of theater to make us think we have some degree of control. More & more I'm seeing it as a massively corrupt machine in which the same small, powerful, wealthy, well-connected circles of people pull all the strings. I'm going to try to put a little manpower in this fall to at least try to rip a little bit of the power away from their hands & expel at least a few of the worst pawns in their machine.

Amen. I hope I can generate enough "give a sh!t" that I can do the same but I have a feeling that once the campaigning starts my eyes will just glaze over even further. Who knows, maybe somebody will come on the scene that shows an inkling of promise.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Comfortably Numb said:

Amen. I hope I can generate enough "give a sh!t" that I can do the same but I have a feeling that once the campaigning starts my eyes will just glaze over even further. Who knows, maybe somebody will come on the scene that shows an inkling of promise.

And then Democrats won't try to stomp them out because they aren't connected enough or experienced enough.

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, commando said:

called it

So....let me get this straight. 

We are going to lift sanctions on Russia...a country that we know has been screwing with us and they are a major power in the world militarily. 

BUT....we are puffing our chests out at rocket man who has a country that doesn’t even have enough money to provide a plane for him to fly to a major summit. 

We are commanding such respect. 

• Plus1 1