The Trump Economy

Just now, RedDenver said:

Plus it's means testing your income from 2018. Won't help those that lost jobs or wages from covid-19. 

I think that would be impossible to really accomplish.

So I would just make it very general.  

Everyone over 18 gets X

Kids get X

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I think that would be impossible to really accomplish.

So I would just make it very general.  

Everyone over 18 gets X

Kids get X

Yes, that's why means testing is dumb. Pelosi and the Dem leadership is offering more in their package but are proposing an even more complicated means testing that will make any payments greatly delayed. It's almost like they're all out-of-touch rich people who don't understand the urgency of needing the money now.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, that's why means testing is dumb. Pelosi and the Dem leadership is offering more in their package but are proposing an even more complicated means testing that will make any payments greatly delayed. It's almost like they're all out-of-touch rich people who don't understand the urgency of needing the money now.

You answered your own statement...they are out of touch.  And really, they should be out of touch.  It makes sense that someone who has been rich/powerful for years would be out of touch.

That dork Bill Gates was on Ellen and had no clue, NO CLUE, how much s#!t cost at the grocery store.

It just sucks that they have such a say in how things will go.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Sooo...they want to get it to people who need it, but not rich people who don’t. And that’s bad. 

47 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sooo...they want to get it to people who need it, but not rich people who don’t. And that’s bad. 

It will require paperwork and proof from the individual and hold up the process. An easier way to get it to people as fast as possible is to make it universal and then have it taxed next tax season for people making over a certain amount so the rich have to pay it back through taxes. They need to do this before April and it is all just a bunch of bureaucratic bs right now which will only hurt working people. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

It will require paperwork and proof from the individual and hold up the process. An easier way to get it to people as fast as possible is to make it universal and then have it taxed next tax season for people making over a certain amount so the rich have to pay it back through taxes. They need to do this before April and it is all just a bunch of bureaucratic bs right now which will only hurt working people. 

OK...I can live with that.  

So, you're not upset with the general goal of what they are trying to accomplish, you are upset with the method of getting it done.

I can appreciate that.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK...I can live with that.  

So, you're not upset with the general goal of what they are trying to accomplish, you are upset with the method of getting it done.

I can appreciate that.

Correct and because it should be based on this years income and not 2018. Someone making 100k in 2018 could lose their job this year due to this and not make as much. Plus 100k isnt that much in say NY or CA. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, teachercd said:

Why is this heartless? 

No kidding...

This is more than they should do in my opinion.  If a person is "still" making money from their job, I don't think they should get anything (call me heartless)

Now, I think steps should be taken to drastically ramp up unemployment funds and offices.  If a person loses their job because of this, or reduces income significantly, then hand out the help.

But right now, I'm lucky.  I'm still getting a check from the school because I'm still teaching, my wife is making BANK on overtime and incentive pays.  I don't need this money, but if our govt is stupid enough to hand it out like Halloween candy I guess I'll go ahead gorge on whatever they throw in my bucket...

According to this, my family will receive $3900.  Assuming we make it through this in our current standing, looks like we might get that bathroom remodel afterall...

• Thanks 1

They could send everyone the first check and do something more targeted for the 2nd one. I still have a job... I'd rather than 10% or whatever it will be who lose their jobs each get $10,000 and the rest of us none, but yes I realize that's difficult to figure out.

Edit: I read your post more thoroughly and ya, that’s a good idea.

I like this much better.  If your wages weren't impacted, give it back.  I could live with that and actually would defend that plan!

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, funhusker said:

No kidding...

This is more than they should do in my opinion.  If a person is "still" making money from their job, I don't think they should get anything (call me heartless)

Now, I think steps should be taken to drastically ramp up unemployment funds and offices.  If a person loses their job because of this, or reduces income significantly, then hand out the help.

But right now, I'm lucky.  I'm still getting a check from the school because I'm still teaching, my wife is making BANK on overtime and incentive pays.  I don't need this money, but if our govt is stupid enough to hand it out like Halloween candy I guess I'll go ahead gorge on whatever they throw in my bucket...

According to this, my family will receive $4900.  Assuming we make it through this in our current standing, looks like we might get that bathroom remodel afterall...

I think it is not only to help people who lost their job but also to stimulate the economy. The people who lose their jobs probably wont spend it unless its to pay bills. The people who still have jobs will most likely spend that money going out to eat, at bars, etc. So while I get where youre coming from, I think this is more of a kill two birds with one stone sort of deal. 

• Plus1 2