POW/MIA Memorial Coming to Memorial

Mavric

23 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

However it is fine for popular products that tug at American heart strings (products owned by corporations that avoid paying taxes, outsource jobs, and intentionally deceive the public about their profits) to advertise everywhere during games.

It isn't okay for the military to advertise by paying places to showcase what they can do for today's youth as far as paying for college and superior job training?

Holy double standard, Batman.

I'm personally fine with cutting out all advertising from the games, and I imagine that I'm not alone in that. As for the superior job training comment, considering that the unemployment rate for young vets is 40% higher than that of their peers who did not enlist, I question that assertion. 

16 minutes ago, khaake said:

I'm personally fine with cutting out all advertising from the games, and I imagine that I'm not alone in that. As for the superior job training comment, considering that the unemployment rate for young vets is 40% higher than that of their peers who did not enlist, I question that assertion. 

40% higher?  I'm going to need you to prove that one.  Also, are you just lumping veterans who have become in some way disabled from their service in that group?

EDIT:  According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics from 2017 Veteran unemployment is 3.7% and non-Veteran is 4.2%, meaning that it is 12% LOWER.

• Plus1 4
40 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

However it is fine for popular products that tug at American heart strings (products owned by corporations that avoid paying taxes, outsource jobs, and intentionally deceive the public about their profits) to advertise everywhere during games.

It isn't okay for the military to advertise by paying places to showcase what they can do for today's youth as far as paying for college and superior job training?

Holy double standard, Batman.

Do you see a difference between the military buying an advertisement during a game and the military paying teams to stage a homecoming of a soldier or paying a team $45,000 to sing God Bless America when the public doesn't know that those events were payed for or staged by the department of defense?

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Do you see a difference between the military buying an advertisement during a game and the military paying teams to stage a homecoming of a soldier or paying a team $45,000 to sing God Bless America when the public doesn't know that those events were payed for or staged by the department of defense?

Its all a form of advertisment, like the fact that Mike Riley had to put his Coke into a Pepsi cup when he drank it at press conferences.

26 minutes ago, khaake said:

11 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

40% higher?  I'm going to need you to prove that one.  Also, are you just lumping veterans who have become in some way disabled from their service in that group?

EDIT:  According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics from 2017 Veteran unemployment is 3.7% and non-Veteran is 4.2%, meaning that it is 12% LOWER.

Yes, for the 18-24 demographic the unemployment rate is 40% higher for veterans. It is 20% higher if you extend the demographic to 18-34. Source is from the VA: https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/docs/veteraneconomicopportunityreport2015.pdf

• Plus1 2
51 minutes ago, khaake said:

Yes, for the 18-24 demographic the unemployment rate is 40% higher for veterans. It is 20% higher if you extend the demographic to 18-34. Source is from the VA: https://www.benefits.va.gov/benefits/docs/veteraneconomicopportunityreport2015.pdf

54 minutes ago, khaake said:

From your link:

5b895dafdc43e_ScreenShot2018-08-31at10_23_43AM.thumb.png.f8692cc0b3370d0a7edb34d78f442b30.png

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

From your link:

5b895dafdc43e_ScreenShot2018-08-31at10_23_43AM.thumb.png.f8692cc0b3370d0a7edb34d78f442b30.png

The unemployment gap, although lower, still exists if you extend the demographic out to the 25-34 age bracket. In any case, your initial claim of "superior job training" seems questionable when looked at through that lens.

image.png

Here's another look, without the rain.

This is not too far from our seats.

The plaque says:

YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Since World War I, more than 92,000 American soldiers are unaccounted for.

This unoccupied seat is dedicated to the memory of those brave men and women and to the sacrifice each made in serving this country.

God bless you. God bless America.

Memorial Stadium - September 1, 2018.

• Plus1 3

November 11th was originally called Armistice Day. On June 4, 1926, Congress passed a resolution that the “recurring anniversary of [November 11, 1918] should be commemorated with thanksgiving and prayer and exercises designed to perpetuate peace through good will and mutual understanding between nations,” and that the president should issue an annual proclamation calling for the observance of Armistice Day.

By that time, 27 state legislatures had made November 11 a legal holiday. An act approved May 13, 1938 made November 11 a legal Federal holiday, “dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be hereafter celebrated and known as ‘Armistice Day.'”

Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day in 1954, radically changing the original intent of the holiday.

I can get behind the message of Armistice Day. I can get behind remembering those who have been killed in armed conflicts, are suffering because of them, or who are missing because of them. I can get behind remembering and reflecting on the civilians who have been killed due to armed conflicts, the children who were torn apart, the lives destroyed, the futures squandered. But I cannot say that God blesses it, as that plaque seems to imply. I wish the University was not a party in such things.