POW/MIA Memorial Coming to Memorial

Mavric

19 minutes ago, JKinney said:

I have no problem supporting the military (my brother is currently serving), but UNL's efforts are clearly far more geared towards advertising.  I personally don't feel it appropriate that UNL waves the flag around to sell tickets, which is exactly what they are doing.  If they really wanted to help they could make a giant donation towards Wounded Veterans or other organizations...instead they promote a special chair, or a flyover, or veterans faces which we will feature on camera a bunch of times to get people teary eyed and buy NU tickets and get them good PR.

Please read McCain's report on "Paid Patriotism": https://www.mccain.senate.gov/public/_cache/files/12de6dcb-d8d8-4a58-8795-562297f948c1/tackling-paid-patriotism-oversight-report.pdf  From a former POW.  It talks mostly about professional sports, but it does include 3 Big Ten schools, see a summary here: https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/3t1lpx/indiana_purdue_and_wisconsin_had_paid_patriotism/

The congressmen could only get a report from 60% of the Pentagon's contracts, so it wouldn't surprise me if Nebraska also has some sort of abuse like this.

Considering all the tickets have been sold for this year and have been for the past 56 years, I don't think this is the reason.

• Plus1 9
4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So many entitled kids forget that men died so they can have the freedom that they currently have.  They can have a minute of my time any day of the week.    

True, people have died by waging war. Our leaders saw to it that that was the case. But the link between that sad state of affairs and our freedom is rather tenuous. If these events were to lament what happened so that it would not happen again, I might be on board, but instead these events tend to Rah Rah Rah the whole business that got these people killed to begin with. I really wish UNL wouldn't be a party to it.

• Plus1 5

6 minutes ago, khaake said:

True, people have died by waging war. Our leaders saw to it that that was the case. But the link between that sad state of affairs and our freedom is rather tenuous. If these events were to lament what happened so that it would not happen again, I might be on board, but instead these events tend to Rah Rah Rah the whole business that got these people killed to begin with. I really wish UNL wouldn't be a party to it.

You can have your opinion, several of my relatives fought for your right to it.  

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So many entitled kids forget that men died so they can have the freedom that they currently have.  They can have a minute of my time any day of the week.    

You don’t know anything about the people posting. You say your relatives fought. So did mine. I don’t like the marriage of a sport with the military to this degree. It’s tacky in my opinion. The military is something that is too important and serious to be paraded about at a game trying to outpatriot each other while we’re sitting on benches/couches eating nachos and drinking beer. Especially when we’re specifically talking POWs/people who died in war, imo. 

When I visit war memorials I don’t run around tossing a ball around and do keg stands. The reverse is pretty weird to me as well.

• Plus1 7

I think the flyovers are awesome, mostly because I grew up going to airshows with my grandparents and it reminds me of that.

I'd agree that the anthem doesn't necessarily need to be played before the game. I get that it was originally introduced before games back in the 40s, during WWII and that makes a lot of sense. However, these days unless you're on the podium at the Olympics I don't see a need for it. A brief moment during each game thanking veterans and current service members is appropriate.  

• Plus1 2

So let me get this straight, you guys want to see less honoring of the folks who made peace time heroics such as a football game possible just because you don't like associating war with football or you would rather completely and entirely enjoy your time at a football game and not dwell for a moment on remembering those who made it all possible since the dawn of civilization.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

So let me get this straight, you guys want to see less honoring of the folks who made peace time heroics such as a football game possible just because you don't like associating war with football or you would rather completely and entirely enjoy your time at a football game and not dwell for a moment on remembering those who made it all possible since the dawn of civilization.

Yes, if only we honored all fighters throughout the history of the world more. You realize that that doesn't make much sense, right?

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

You missed the point entirely. I can enjoy a football game and still thank the fine folks who made sure that we're not speaking German or a lampshade.

But the thing is, we're not really thanking the people who fought in WWII, at least not very many of them, because that war took place 75 years ago and nearly all who survived it have since died. We might be remembering them, but we are not thanking them. The stadium events (and commercials, etc.) are largely geared towards those who came after.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, khaake said:

But the thing is, we're not really thanking the people who fought in WWII, at least not very many of them, because that war took place 75 years ago and nearly all who survived it have since died. We might be remembering them, but we are not thanking them. The stadium events (and commercials, etc.) are largely geared towards those who came after.

Really? Memorial stadium itself is named in honor of ALL the Nebraskans who served.

Just because there isn't a generational Hitler to defeat, doesn't negate mine or others desire to honor past AND current vets.

That's kind of the whole purpose of this is that you can still remember those in a grave just as much as those alive.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, husker_fan_from_sweden said:

Really? Memorial stadium itself is named in honor of ALL the Nebraskans who served.

Just because there isn't a generational Hitler to defeat, doesn't negate mine or others desire to honor past AND current vets.

That's kind of the whole purpose of this is that you can still remember those in a grave just as much as those alive.

Yes, the stadium was originally named to honor Nebraskans who fought in the Civil War, the Spanish-Americans wars, and World War One, but perhaps the theme is growing a little old. In any case, I wish UNL would not deliberately inject more militarism into football games.

• Plus1 3