Purdue Week Pressers

59 minutes ago, irafreak said:

I still wonder how much of this decline is due to the quarterback situation.  The defense has been building off the same gameplan so far...leaders have stepped up and such.  The offense, on the other hand has had to switch from one quarterback to the next each week.  Inconsistency is tough for a new system.  The special teams...well that one just has me perplexed. 

I think a lot of it.  They're still trying to get the offense fully installed and everyone comfortable with it.  We looked good against Colorado with a healthy Martinez.  Bunch didn't get many reps in fall camp so he was working with a limited playbook against Troy that (probably) got smaller as he struggled with it.  Not that it was going to help against Michigan but Martinez was still getting back up to speed (no pun intended).

I just think it's been about as disjointed of a start to a new system as you can have.

45 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think a lot of it.  They're still trying to get the offense fully installed and everyone comfortable with it.  We looked good against Colorado with a healthy Martinez.  Bunch didn't get many reps in fall camp so he was working with a limited playbook against Troy that (probably) got smaller as he struggled with it.  Not that it was going to help against Michigan but Martinez was still getting back up to speed (no pun intended).

I just think it's been about as disjointed of a start to a new system as you can have.

I thought Martinez looked a bit unsettled after the interception too. Not like he wanted to quit, but just that the confidence he played with in the Colorado game was a bit shaken following the injury and the way the oline was playing. That can affect execution too.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Bunch didn't get many reps in fall camp

That's something that I think a lot of people forget. After the first week or so of fall camp, the competition was narrowed down to Gebbia and Martinez. Bunch wasn't getting nearly as many reps during that time as those two were, and of course in hindsight we all wish he had.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Kind of surprising after the praise the WR position got during camp. I knew we would have trouble going against defenses like Michigan and OSU bc we dont have guys that can get separation from those types of DBs.  Heard quite a bit about Hunt, Woodyard, Lindsay, and Mcquitty, it is time for one of those guys to step up.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, swmohusker said:

Kind of surprising after the praise the WR position got during camp. I knew we would have trouble going against defenses like Michigan and OSU bc we dont have guys that can get separation from those types of DBs.  Heard quite a bit about Hunt, Woodyard, Lindsay, and Mcquitty, it is time for one of those guys to step up.  

Yeah.  Relative to perceived depth going into the year, this position has to be one of the most disappointing.  Morgan and Speilman have been pretty good - though both could really have helped by making a couple extra plays.  But the four you listed seemed to be expected to be at least regulars in the rotation.  But - while some of them have at least been on the field - have really not contributed much of anything.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Yeah.  Relative to perceived depth going into the year, this position has to be one of the most disappointing.  Morgan and Speilman have been pretty good - though both could really have helped by making a couple extra plays.  But the four you listed seemed to be expected to be at least regulars in the rotation.  But - while some of them have at least been on the field - have really not contributed much of anything.

Exactly.  Throw in the fact that Miles Jones has started taking more reps at WR it seems like they are really looking for any possible options to step up and play. 

7 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

• Plus1 1