Frost's staff grades thus far

54 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't want to move on to a different thread

I want to make fun of this thread

New leaders are brought in when a prior leader has not gotten the job done and had poor results.  I think we all agree Riley fit that label.  So are you taking the position that a new leader cannot be criticized within the first 9 months of taking over his or her position (whether its a coach, CEO, government leader, etc..)?  What do you think is an adequate timeframe for that leader to be subject to some criticism?  

19 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

I can't remember our ST being worse. We don't do anything well. I lived through the Bruce Read years.

In 4 games we've given up 2 punt return TDs, muffed punts, missed easy FGs, and our punter is terrible.

The field goal kicker was brought in by grandpa and the punter has struggled for 3 years.  To be fair, Brown was a terrible kicker as a freshman.

I think they are playing the hand they are dealt.

watched one of the dynamic Punt Returners in the history of the program, DPE, completely neutralized for two years because we did they couldn’t block anyone.

Team has no depth.  It’ll take time.

11 minutes ago, alwayshusking said:

Not going to kill Frost over this but naming Gebbia and Martinez co-starters like Saban did with Tua/Hurts may have been a brilliant move. Saban knew Tua was the guy but needed a good backup. Frost has too much honesty for that but welcome to the big time.

This is a good point....had he waited a week or two before OSU's semester began, TG might not have transferred.  With that said, if TG is the type of guy to bail on his brothers, I am not sure I would want him here anyway and would rather fail with the guys that want to be here.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

This is a good point....had he waited a week or two before OSU's semester began, TG might not have transferred.  With that said, if TG is the type of guy to bail on his brothers, I am not sure I would want him here anyway and would rather fail with the guys that want to be here.

I think Frost is very much a players coach, which may well benefit us in the long run but for this year not being a sociopath has hurt us. We're 2-2 maybe even 3-1 with Gebbia. This is about the long play though.  Saban and Meyer aren't the best coaches in the country bc they are good people.

36 minutes ago, huskered17 said:

Riley's teams might not have returned a punt for two years, but he didn't lose 10 yards every time, like we do on penalties. Just have our guys fair catch it and save some field position....

GBR!!!

Great idea - should we also down it 3 times and then punt so that we don't make any other mistakes.  The combination of these two ideas should really create some good learning moments for the kids.

4 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

We are 4 games into this season and have had enough time to assess the performance of this staff.  I realize Frost inherited a poor culture and may not have all his players, but the lack of preparation and mental toughness/penalties cannot be attributed primarily to the players.  While I definitely think Frost needs a few seasons to turn the ship around, I also think this team is failing at the basics of Football 101 and we need to stop treating him with kid gloves just because he is a former player and assess the results we are seeing on the field just as we would have assessed if this were the first year for Riley or Pelini.  If you are not interested in assessing our staff after 4 games so be it, no need to reply to this thread.

Here are my grades thus far:

Head Coach: C-

Offensive Coordinator/WR: D (Not really sure what the OC is doing relative to Frost)

Offensive Line: F

Running Backs: C

Tight Ends: C-minus

QB Coach: C

Defensive Coordinator: F

Special Teams Coach- F-minus

Offensive Line: F

Defensive Line-C-minus

Defensive Backs-D

Linebackers-D

well when we remove the emotion and shock of our unfortunate and poor start and look at the staff from a more neutral point of view i got this off the top of my head.

Head Coach: B   - been pretty average, nothing horrible nothing great.

Offensive Coordinator/WR: ? (Not really sure what the OC is doing relative to Frost) - same questions here, pretty sure frost calls the plays but idk. WR play has been awful

Offensive Line: ? - line is still in a state of fluidness, once they settle on their 5 ill be more critical, but it was better today.

Running Backs: C - need to work on ball control, some of the new faces haven't lived up to the hype due to a lack of fundamentals.

Tight Ends: C+ - a surprisingly ok unit this year. 

QB Coach: B - has done well with Martinez

Defensive Coordinator: B - has done a solid job turning this unit turned around, especially when you consider that they are on the field as much as they are.

Special Teams Coach- F-minus  - totally agree here, although it is also slowly improving.

defensive Line: C+ - its been solid, even good at times, but bad decisions are still common.

Line backers A- Barrett Ruud can coach, and this unit is massively improved. They still had some bad first year mistakes, but considering this is Ruuds first time coaching im impressed

Defensive Backs- D-C - some of them are struggling and not even involved, others like bootle are helping carry the defense, this is a mixed bag, but not reflective of the coach entirely yet. There has been marked fundamentals improvements from a number of the DB's i really like.

13 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

New leaders are brought in when a prior leader has not gotten the job done and had poor results.  I think we all agree Riley fit that label.  So are you taking the position that a new leader cannot be criticized within the first 9 months of taking over his or her position (whether its a coach, CEO, government leader, etc..)?  What do you think is an adequate timeframe for that leader to be subject to some criticism?  

I think he’s saying this thread is pointless. 

We all see what the problems are.  Attaching a letter to each position group (twice in some cases) isn’t a kickstarter for an intelligent discussion. 

Coaching staff should be held accountable. This thread still sucks.