Tyjon Lindsey No Longer a Husker

1 hour ago, DILLY said:

I'm not so sure what all the anticipation was with everyone transfering after 4 games if they still miss 2 years of football

Well it works for someone in a graduate transfer position like the Clemson QB. If you're a junior or senior and are going to graduate, you can play 4 games and then decide to transfer without losing a year. 

9 minutes ago, theknife said:

Well it works for someone in a graduate transfer position like the Clemson QB. If you're a junior or senior and are going to graduate, you can play 4 games and then decide to transfer without losing a year. 

That is....if you haven't redshirted.

From my understanding, if you are a 4th year player and play in 4 games and graduate, you can then be a grad transfer and have two years left instead of one.

If you have redshirted, this rule doesn't change anything.

Are my thoughts on that correct?

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That is....if you haven't redshirted.

From my understanding, if you are a 4th year player and play in 4 games and graduate, you can then be a grad transfer and have two years left instead of one.

If you have redshirted, this rule doesn't change anything.

Are my thoughts on that correct?

You are mostly correct, but wrong on one small part.  If you are a 4th year player who hasn't redshirted (like Kelly Bryant), you can play in 4 games this year, graduate, and then be a graduate transfer.  Bryant still only has 1 year of eligibility left, as he is on his 5th year of the NCAA clock.

If you have already redshirted, you don''t get to redshirt again.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are mostly correct, but wrong on one small part.  If you are a 4th year player who hasn't redshirted (like Kelly Bryant), you can play in 4 games this year, graduate, and then be a graduate transfer.  Bryant still only has 1 year of eligibility left, as he is on his 5th year of the NCAA clock.

See my first sentence.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

This is right.

Here is the other side of it.  Taj Griffin Senior RB from Oregon.  He has not graduated and likely won't before the spring.  He has also not used his redshirt.  But because of the 5 year clock, he can't transfer to another D1 school because this is now his redshirt year and he would have to sit out next year as well at a D1 school, using his 5th year.

All he can do is transfer to a D2 or D3 school and play one year there.

11 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

How is this 5 pages?

Why wouldn't this be at least 5 pages and a major topic of discussion?  Our team is 0-4 and under a major rebuilding.  A top rated player coming in just left the team in the middle of the season basically adding to the total lack of positive influence the 2017 recruiting class has had on the program.

I'm failing to see what the problem is with the discussion.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

See my first sentence.

But, you say "have 2 years left instead of one".  I guess that is the case if the player is able to graduate in a short time table (like Joe Burrow did), but in most instances a player who is a grad transfer typically only has 1 year of eligibility.  Maybe we are disagreeing on the semantics of your post.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, you say "have 2 years left instead of one".  I guess that is the case if the player is able to graduate in a short time table (like Joe Burrow did), but in most instances a player who is a grad transfer typically only has 1 year of eligibility.  Maybe we are disagreeing on the semantics of your post.

It took me doing this to figure it out.  I'm a pictures kind of guy.

year one = plays

year two = plays

year three = plays

year four = plays 4 games and graduates ends up being his redshirt

year five = grad transfer and new school plays

year six = He's already played 4 years so he is not eligible anymore.  Plus, the 5 years to play 4 rule comes into affect.

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why wouldn't this be at least 5 pages and a major topic of discussion?  Our team is 0-4 and under a major rebuilding.  A top rated player coming in just left the team in the middle of the season basically adding to the total lack of positive influence the 2017 recruiting class has had on the program.

I'm failing to see what the problem is with the discussion.

Yes- I think the interest is more in the fact he was so highly rated and a bust. Thats why I am interested in the topic- not because it is a big loss to the team. He has done nothing to date and shown no flashes of ever being good.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

It took me doing this to figure it out.  I'm a pictures kind of guy.

year one = plays

year two = plays

year three = plays

year four = plays 4 games and graduates ends up being his redshirt

year five = grad transfer and new school plays

year six = He's already played 4 years so he is not eligible anymore.  Plus, the 5 years to play 4 rule comes into affect.

If they transfer to a D1 school, year 5 in this scenario is a sit out year unless they have graduated by December in year 4

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

If they transfer to a D1 school, year 5 in this scenario is a sit out year unless they have graduated by December in year 4

That's the key part.  The player has to graduate in 3 1/2 years of schooling (unless they enroll the Spring semester of the senior year of high school).  I know a lot of kids do it, but it does require a lot of work in the classroom.

That's the key part.  The player has to graduate in 3 1/2 years of schooling (unless they enroll the Spring semester of the senior year of high school).  I know a lot of kids do it, but it does require a lot of work in the classroom.

4 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

So, for the vast majority of players, once you play your third year, this rule doesn't change anything for you.

25 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

If you play a full 3rd year without redshirting, your only option is D2 or D3 to avoid sitting a year

I think a lot of players (and a number of fans) are misunderstanding the 4-game redshirt rule and how it applies to transfers.  The players really don't gain an advantage by deciding to transfer after 4- games, unless they qualify for the graduate transfer route.

• Plus1 1

I think a lot of players (and a number of fans) are misunderstanding the 4-game redshirt rule and how it applies to transfers.  The players really don't gain an advantage by deciding to transfer after 4- games, unless they qualify for the graduate transfer route.

Correct.  That's why it worked for the Clemson QB

And I admit I was a bit confused by it at first as well.  Had to do more reading

• Fire 1