Tyjon Lindsey No Longer a Husker

50 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Exactly.

I was actually admonished in a recruiting thread some time ago because I said I didn't care where a player went if they decommitted from here and committed to another school because in my eyes, they are no longer Huskers.  I don't think much about them.

I agree with this. Seeing as I haven't met any of them, why would I care what they do after leaving the team? I care what they do if they stick it out with the team I like.

59 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Exactly.

I was actually admonished in a recruiting thread some time ago because I said I didn't care where a player went if they decommitted from here and committed to another school because in my eyes, they are no longer Huskers.  I don't think much about them.

If those players go on to play well on another team, or disappear entirely, they become part of the ongoing recruiting deb ate.  We don't think about them until they're the perfect example of the point we're trying to make. 

Bottom line: a player who doesn't want to be here isn't doing anyone a favor by toughing it out. I wasn't very happy about Tristan Gebbia for a full two weeks, but I'm moving on.

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Bottom line: a player who doesn't want to be here isn't doing anyone a favor by toughing it out. I wasn't very happy about Tristan Gebbia for a full two weeks, but I'm moving on.

And there seems to be more to it than just "not wanting to be here." Reading between the lines, Lindsey seemed like a guy who wanted to be here...but he simultaneously expected to put in a 'Mike Riley level of practice effort' into it and still fully expected to get equal reps and light it up. I could be wrong about that, but I think that's what we're seeing.

As I said earlier in the thread, not hard to figure out that talent wasn't being fully developed and being reflected in an improved product on the field. These guys were led by a staff that apparently didn't equate practice effort, intensity and repetition with success (or just didn't really care enough about the results on the field to work the guys hard enough).

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I have the personal opinion that when they commit, they are Huskers.  If they decide to decommit, they are not.  That's just my view on it.  No one is required to do the same.

I remember your stance.  It's just pretty flip floppy considering how indecisive 18yr old athletes can be and how some use is as placeholders etc.

I prefer thinking of commits like Motorcycle Clubs consider new members as prospects first.  You're not in, but you could be.

10 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Wasn’t there a WR from UCF who was drafted in 2018? The whole “pro style” offense excuse is garbage. There are plenty of NFL receivers who were in spread systems in college.  Also, if you have seen the NFL so far this year, the offenses are shifting more and more to college-type, spread offenses.  Riley’s offense was a dinosaur. 

Instead of “pro style offense”, maybe I should have said that Tyjon may be looking for an offense that didn’t rely so much on perimeter blocking— which would not be a strong suit for a 5’9 160 pound receiver .  

You’re right - plenty of college-spread receivers make it in the NFL, but most are probably more of the 6-0 + 180 + types, who didn’t struggle with blocking.  

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

Instead of “pro style offense”, maybe I should have said that Tyjon may be looking for an offense that didn’t rely so much on perimeter blocking— which would not be a strong suit for a 5’9 160 pound receiver .  

You’re right - plenty of college-spread receivers make it in the NFL, but most are probably more of the 6-0 + 180 + types, who didn’t struggle with blocking.  

Tavon Austin was a first round draft choice, and is about the size of Lindsey.  Now, he's proven to not be a very good pro player, but smaller players can be drafted if they are fast and ellusive enough.  But, yes you are right for the most part and I think Austin is more the exception than the rule.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Tavon Austin was a first round draft choice, and is about the size of Lindsey.  Now, he's proven to not be a very good pro player, but smaller players can be drafted if they are fast and ellusive enough.  But, yes you are right for the most part and I think Austin is more the exception than the rule.

Tyjon hasn’t looked fast this year. There were a couple plays where he just got run down from

behind.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Edelman, welker, cooks, Odell Beckham, Randall Cobb, Doug Baldwin, golden Tate, Antonio brown, sterling sheperd are all 5-10 to 5-11. 180-200. I just saw an article saying smaller faster receivers is a newer trend in the nfl to win in space

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Edelman, welker, cooks, Odell Beckham, Randall Cobb, Doug Baldwin, golden Tate, Antonio brown, sterling sheperd are all 5-10 to 5-11. 180-200. I just saw an article saying smaller faster receivers is a newer trend in the nfl to win in space

I hear what you are saying, but aside from Edelman and Welker, many of those guys are built like hybrid WR/RB's.  They are thick dudes.  Lindsey is not only short, but he's skinny (at least IMO).

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I have the personal opinion that when they commit, they are Huskers.  If they decide to decommit, they are not.  That's just my view on it.  No one is required to do the same.

Agree. I follow Huskers in the pros.  I don't follow guys who quit the Huskers.  I don't wish them any ill will ,in fact I hope they have success,  but when you leave, prior to your commitment or leaving for the NFL, you are no longer a Husker.  That's just me.

• Plus1 1