Wisconsin Post-Game Presser

Mavric

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Thanks for sharing. I am curious if he commented on the defense. The offense had a lot of bad penalties but shows signs of improvement.  The defense looked lost and appeared to quit at times in the 2nd half.

The defense did not look lost.

They didn't make plays when they were in position to do so.

What do you think "we don't look like them right now" means?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Thanks for sharing. I am curious if he commented on the defense. The offense had a lot of bad penalties but shows signs of improvement.  The defense looked lost and appeared to quit at times in the 2nd half.

Watching the B1G channel.  They said the offense can win games, but that the defense has got to make some stops.  We now hold some defensive record in the B1G for the amount of yards given up the past 6 conference games IIRC.  Bottom line, as bad is the OL is, the defense is worse.  Cosgrove/Baker/Diaconate bad.  Don’t know how Wisky runs the 3-4 so well.  Great LB play?  Just wonder if that’s the right scheme for us.  I know Chin has said the 3-4 is multiple.  Nothing wrong with switching it up against a team like Wisky.  Give them a heavier 4 man front.....

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, lo country said:

Watching the B1G channel.  They said the offense can win games, but that the defense has got to make some stops.  We now hold some defensive record in the B1G for the amount of yards given up the past 6 conference games IIRC.  Bottom line, as bad is the OL is, the defense is worse.  Cosgrove/Baker/Diaconate bad.  Don’t know how Wisky runs the 3-4 so well.  Great LB play?  Just wonder if that’s the right scheme for us.  I know Chin has said the 3-4 is multiple.  Nothing wrong with switching it up against a team like Wisky.  Give them a heavier 4 man front.....

You're too stuck on scheme.

We were in position for literally a dozen TFL tonight.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Uhhhh, outside of the 5+ whiffed big plays, giving wayyyyy too much cushion to a lack luster receiving corps, zero pressure on the quarterback and complete embarrassment as far as sound tackling is concerned, I guess you're right- not lost at all???

Curious- what was your take on the defensive performance because I found it downright embarrassing 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

I think it means in technique sound football.  Wisky has no flash. They’re all substance.  To the point of being bir8ng to watch.  They simply do not make mistakes.  Penalties, tackles, assignments etc....IMHO, he is talking about execution.  We dont execute like they do.  Nor have the fundamentals down like they do.  

Wisky has had had how many OC/DC since Chryst became HC.  He has a system, recruits to it and coaches to it.  He took over this same template.  Sadly, we are on coach #4 in 15 years with a different scheme, still (to a degree) pounding square pegs into round holes....It’s gonna take longer than most expected to see a definitive and permanent change.  We saw flashes of the O tonight.  We get the D to improve we have a shot to win a few this year...

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You're too stuck on scheme.

We were in position for literally a dozen TFL tonight.

We got little pressure on Hornibrook. Missed too many tackles.  Got blown off the line.  Scheme can address some of this.  Blitzing, bringing in more down lineman can help.  I realize we are WAY THIN at too many positions to sit guysso that has a negative impact for sure.  Just don’t think we have the horses to tuna true 3-4. At least not right now.  

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Uhhhh, outside of the 5+ whiffed big plays, giving wayyyyy too much cushion to a lack luster receiving corps, zero pressure on the quarterback and complete embarrassment as far as sound tackling is concerned, I guess you're right- not lost at all???

Curious- what was your take on the defensive performance because I found it downright embarrassing 

We do not have the talent in place to consistently pressure the quarterback.

In the 90s, we had NFL talent at EVERY position on the DL.  Ten years ago we had Crick and Suh.

When it comes to the lines, that talent has to be recruited and developed.

Send your thank you note to Mike Riley for running a lackadaisical program 

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

We got little pressure on Hornibrook. Missed too many tackles.  Got blown off the line.  Scheme can address some of this.  Blitzing, bringing in more down lineman can help.  I realize we are WAY THIN at too many positions to sit guysso that has a negative impact for sure.  Just don’t think we have the horses to tuna true 3-4. At least not right now.  

I don't think we have the horses to run a 3-4 or a 4-3.