Wisconsin Post-Game Presser

Mavric

52 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Umm...they were not in position many times and appeares to give up in the 2nd half. This is not just my opinion but that of many commenting in the game thread.  

I saw a defense that was not built to compete against that running game. Hard to say if they were out of position because they were being knocked 3 yards back at the snap on most plays. 

Just now, Jason Sitoke said:

I saw a defense that was not built to compete against that running game. Hard to say if they were out of position because they were being knocked 3 yards back at the snap on most plays. 

I didn't notice them getting knocked back in the 3rd qtr but by the 4th, yes.  Got to have good depth on the DL to go up against Wiscy.  No Mick hurt.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

I didn't notice them getting knocked back in the 3rd qtr but by the 4th, yes.  Got to have good depth on the DL to go up against Wiscy.  No Mick hurt.

I saw it when Wisconsin started going to power formations exclusively in the 2nd quarter. I’m not going to say our defense quit because I don’t believe they did. We got lazy with tackling, but that’s what happens when you go 60 snaps against their offense. You get worn down and a 6 yard run becomes a 70 yd TD

12 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I saw it when Wisconsin started going to power formations exclusively in the 2nd quarter. I’m not going to say our defense quit because I don’t believe they did. We got lazy with tackling, but that’s what happens when you go 60 snaps against their offense. You get worn down and a 6 yard run becomes a 70 yd TD

Didn't see the 2nd qtr but I'm ecstatic that these guys continued to fight from what I could see in 2nd half.  What appears to be lazy tackling is probably due to lack of depth and what i keep saying- one off-season cannot possibly make up for 3 years of not taking S&C seriously. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

We do not have the talent in place to consistently pressure the quarterback.

In the 90s, we had NFL talent at EVERY position on the DL.  Ten years ago we had Crick and Suh.

When it comes to the lines, that talent has to be recruited and developed.

Send your thank you note to Mike Riley for running a lackadaisical program 

Mike Riley- the king of inflating recruitng classes via wide receivers with famous last names and over hyped ratings from "big time" football schools in california 

Its telling a lot of these kids that have left decide to transfer to oregon state, i guess theyre fine with mediocrity

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Mike Riley- the king of inflating recruitng classes via wide receivers with famous last names and over hyped ratings from "big time" football schools in california 

Its telling a lot of these kids that have left decide to transfer to oregon state, i guess theyre fine with mediocrity

Who needs a Bryson Williams when you can have a Keyshawn on your team!!!!

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

You're too stuck on scheme.

We were in position for literally a dozen TFL tonight.

This ^^^ x1,000.

The defense was, way more often than not, in the exact correct position they needed to be in--they just couldn't make the play.

There are three key areas Nebraska needs to address/fix if they want to start winning:

1. Reduce the damn penalties.  How many holding calls?  Those are drive killers.

2. Make the plays on defense when opportunities arise.

3. Don't give up so many 1st downs once they get a team to 3rd down.

Beside his introductory press conference, this is probably one of Frost's best.  The guy knows what Nebraska football should be and a great feel for what needs to change.  With Pelini or Riley I never got a sense after a loss that things were going to change.  Riley was good at pointing out specific problems (on Monday) but I never thought he would get them fixed.  After a couple years of Bo's "we didn't execute" following blowouts by teams like Wisconsin it was obvious nothing was going to change.  If Frost can keep on the players to push themselves, they could be a decent team by year's end. which is what they should be.

51 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Haha moreso than your persistent view in the game thread that the only reason we are winless now is because of talent. 

I mean, we lost last night because we weren't as talented across the board as Wisconsin. 

CORRECTION: We aren't as talented for the scheme we want to run as Wisconsin is talented for the scheme they want to run. 

"Their line is 6'6 and 310 lbs across the line and veterans, we're starting 2 soph at tackle.  We don't look like them. I wouldn't want to meet their defensive end #97 in a dark alley, he's a big of guy as I've seen.  But our guys were fighting" (Comments by Frost in the presser).

IMHO, Frost is acknowledging our guys fighting, but also recognizing we don't look like them.  He realizes we need to get stronger and bigger than we are now.  Another season with Duval and recruiting will help for sure. We need to get physically bigger guys across both lines to be successful.  As far as S&C, we have improved, when compared to ourselves.  I've said before, I haven't seen metrics comparing our guys this year to other teams.  

It's a remodel for sure.  We have some pieces, but not enough to truly compete or turn the program around yet.  Trust the process.

"Long range, we need more guys capable of making those plays.  Right now, we have guys who can win some games"

Said they're going to ride Jacob Weinmaster as ILB...mentioned Mo Washington, JD, Adrian and Cam Taylor as bright spots....

Maybe Weinmaster and Cam start next week?

Watching that presser, Frost sees what we have now and what we can be in the future.  Great presser IMHO.