***Official 2019 College Football Thread***

Mavric

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

5 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/deriq-king-and-others-arent-wrong-to-take-advantage-of-transfer-rule-013337616.html

THE FAINTING IRISH

In 1953, Notre Dame salvaged a tie against Iowa in the season finale by faking injuries at the end of both the first half and the fourth quarter, stopping the clock and throwing touchdown passes thereafter to escape with a 14-14 deadlock and a 9-0-1 season. The first-half fake injury was described thusly, in a story on Notre Dame’s own athletic website: “Irish left tackle Frank Varrichione let out a blood-curdling scream and collapsed to the turf, seemingly suffering a very sudden and mortal injury.” The right tackle did the collapsing at the end of the game.

Thenceforth, that team was derisively nicknamed the “Fainting Irish.”

Some 66 years later, fainting was back in vogue for Notre Dame. Despite the protestations of one Brian Kelly (34), the video evidence was pretty clear and compelling that at least one of his Notre Dame defensive players took a blatant dive to slow Georgia’s offense during the second half Saturday night.

Now it is D’Eriq King (32), Houston senior quarterback, taking an abrupt redshirt in this 1-3 season with the stated goal of playing for the Cougars again in 2020 — which seems preposterous. The more likely scenario: King scans the quarterback market and executes a grad transfer elsewhere, or simply turns pro.

The Meatiest Top 25: College football teams ranked by nearby cuisine

24. Nebraska

The staff at Lincoln’s Leadbelly originally created The Full Leaded Jacket as a joke. It was a riff on the classic Nebraska school lunch combo of cinnamon rolls and chili. Why not shove a burger inside a cinnamon roll and then cover all of it in chili? It would be good for a laugh. It ended up becoming one of the most popular items on the menu. It sounds as if it should taste terrible. It tastes wonderful. Obviously, the chili pairs beautifully with the burger. But the sweetness of the cinnamon roll actually winds up enhancing the flavor instead of detracting. The Full Leaded Jacket winds up hitting every flavor center, and that’s probably why it stopped being a joke.

For another twisted burger, head to one of several Honest Abe’s locations in Lincoln. The selections rotate regularly; the most intriguing one at the moment is The Nero (peanut butter, honey barbecue sauce, sriracha, bacon and cheddar). Make sure to grab a shake, too. The Bananarama (ice cream, banana pudding mix and vanilla wafer) would complement any burger.

For something more traditional, hit Phat Jack’s for barbecue. If you get there early enough, you might have a shot at the burnt ends.

• Plus1 1

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27692178/iowa-iowa-st-jeopardy-band-incident

Iowa band making up stuff again.

"Have this vision: It was 30 minutes after the game, and the only people remaining in the football stadium were the Iowa marching band and the Iowa State marching band," Pollard said. "... Our security personnel advised the Iowa marching band it would be best for them to exit to the east through Gate 1 like our band did and had no issues because the gate was wide open.

"For whatever reason the Iowa marching band did not do that," Pollard said. "They chose to leave the field through the west side of the Jacobson building where there were thousands of people still shoulder-to-shoulder in a snail's pace trying to work through that small entry way. The Iowa marching band marched in formation playing their instruments through the back of that crowd and essentially forced their way through a crowd there was no place for anybody to move to."

"I've been in constant contact with the University of Iowa police to make sure that if anything comes in, we're prepared to respond to that and we would launch an investigation as soon as a complainant were to come forward," Newton said. "What I do know is the University of Iowa had four police officers with the band, and not any of those officers reported any incidents to us."

2 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I think he's thinking draft and just trying to prevent an injury to keep his stock value.  What else could explain this.  I bet his teammates and coaches are real happy with him right about now.  

Let's say he's doing this to keep himself healthy for the draft and thinks this will help his stock... if you are an NFL scout or coach, don't you look at this guy and question his competitive spirit and his heart? I would.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Let's say he's doing this to keep himself healthy for the draft and thinks this will help his stock... if you are an NFL scout or coach, don't you look at this guy and question his competitive spirit and his heart? I would.

It's the Roger Goodell era NFL however.  Nothing would surprise me.

I know it's very popular for some fans to hate Matt Millen.  If you ever get the chance to watch the BTN show that has been on recently telling the story of his battle with a rare heart disease you should.  Couldn't be a more down to earth selfless person who some may not know the whole story but was literally staring right at death's door.