Phoenix Shop Lifting

OK...I'm sure we have all seen this on the news.  

OK...here's my problem with this.  THEY DID SHOP LIFT!!!!

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/video-shows-alleged-shoplifting-that-sparked-phoenix-police-confrontation/

Were the cops over zealous with pulling their guns?  Sure.....But, I have a real problem with people making these parents out to be these innocent little victims in all fo this.  They should still be arrested and charged with shop lifting.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, man eating mastodon said:

Arrest and charge them yes,go about it the way these f#&%ing clowns did?hell no, there isnt a reason why guns were drawn there is no reason for the yelling and the threats, those "cops" could have walked up to them and discussed it like a human beings.

You're right.  Discipline the cops.  But, stop parading these parents out in front of cameras like they are innocent victims.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Have an advocate or group speak for them.  Sorry, people who think they can just go steal something piss me off so much that them speaking on this has the opposite affect on me.

Shoplifting is a misdemeanor. Plus the cops didn't even charge them with anything.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Shoplifting is a misdemeanor. Plus the cops didn't even charge them with anything.

YET......

Which, brings me to the other side of what pisses me off.  If the cops had done this the right way, the pressure would still be on the original criminals in the incident.  The cops rushing in with guns pulled ruined punishing an actual crime. 

BUT...it still pisses me off that shop lifters (who are teaching their kids to do it) appear to be getting away with this and looking like victims.  

• Plus1 1

I thought that the little girl brought the doll out unbeknownst to the parents....

More than once, I've returned things to the checkout register that i didn't pay for.  Would never imagine my life in danger over it.  If that is how it went down, f#&% those police and I hope they are fired without any benefits.  I hope their pensions are donated to charity.  No sympathy for power hungry jackwagons like that...

This .01% of police officers that are horrible people NEED to be chastised.  They are not the norm, and that needs to be amplified by any means necessary.  

Again, f#&% 'em.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I thought that the little girl brought the doll out unbeknownst to the parents....

More than once, I've returned things to the checkout register that i didn't pay for.  Would never imagine my life in danger over it.  If that is how it went down, f#&% those police and I hope they are fired without any benefits.  I hope their pensions are donated to charity.  No sympathy for power hungry jackwagons like that...

This .01% of police officers that are horrible people NEED to be chastised.  They are not the norm, and that needs to be amplified by any means necessary.  

Again, f#&% 'em.

I've agreed the police need punished.

However, the video that was released shows the mom walking out with the kid clearly carrying the doll (that she knew she didn't pay for) and the father shop lifting also.

• Plus1 1

Even if they had the intent of shoplifting. What kind of Metro Police Department follows a family back to the place of residence to pursue this case over a $4 doll..And conducts themselves like that?

Again, no sympathy for the cops.

Edit:  just maybe the father found the doll and was going to have a conversation with the girl about stealing and then return it with her later.  I've had that conversation before.  No need for this bulls#!t.  I'm f#&%ing sick of it.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Even if they had the intent of shoplifting. What kind of Metro Police Department follows a family back to the place of residence to pursue this case over a $4 doll..And conducts themselves like that?

Again, no sympathy for the cops.

Edit:  just maybe the father found the doll and was going to have a conversation with the girl about stealing and then return it with her later.  I've had that conversation before.  No need for this bulls#!t.  I'm f#&%ing sick of it.  

I'm not having sympathy for the cops.  How many times do I have to say the cops need punished?

Was the Dad going to have that conversation by showing the daughter how he returned the underwear he took too?

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm not having sympathy for the cops.  How many times do I have to say the cops need punished?

"Were the cops over zealous with pulling their guns?  Sure.....But, I have a real problem with people making these parents out to be these innocent little victims in all fo this.  They should still be arrested and charged with shop lifting."

No one is talking about that issue, because that isn't the issue.  Little white kids steal candy bars all the time and get a "lesson".  This little girl stole a toy and she gets PTSD.  Be honest about the discussion here, BRB.

If they're guilty, I guess they can pay a fine (or a whole $4 in restitution).  Doesn't seem like much of a topic of discussion though...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I'm only reading about these details and seeing the videos for the first time today. I have a lot of questions about this. Why did so many officers arrive on the scene? Why were they roughing up the dude, and especially why were they laying their hands on the mom, especially when she is holding her kids? Why are guns drawn? Was there some other threat, or resisting arrest that preceded the video? How is this show of force at all proportional with the offense?

I used to have a side job at Russ's as a "floor detective" catching shoplifters. I was good at it. I hate shoplifters. But when I started the job I was taught that bad PR due to screwing up a bust is way, way worse than letting a shoplifter get away. We needed to be absolutely damn sure of what we saw when apprehending someone, never lay a hand on anyone (I admit here that I never laid a hand on anyone, although my shoulder or knee may have intervened in some cases). When we did catch someone, we called the police, and they would non-chalantly write a ticket to the perp, unless they had an outstanding warrant.

So in this case, I ask the questions above, and wonder what was going through the cops' collective minds when they send this many officers to a frickin dollar store for a small theft in broad daylight, with children involved, and then decide to start drawing down on this family. This was not a life or death situation, but they created a $h!tstorm out of very little.

Like I said, I hate shoplifters, although when I was doing the job I did find some sympathy for a few of my collars after I heard about their life circumstances. Sometimes life sucks, but it's never okay to steal. Shoplifting is bad. Having said that, what the police did in this situation appears to be far, far worse. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, funhusker said:

No one is talking about that issue, because that isn't the issue.  Little white kids steal candy bars all the time and get a "lesson".  This little girl stole a toy and she gets PTSD.  Be honest about the discussion here, BRB.

I am being honest about the discussion.  I've said punish the cops many times.

And....what the hell have I said in this thread that makes you all of a sudden bring race into the issue?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

You are missing the point though....the cops acted like they rolled up on a serial killer with 20 lbs of cocaine and AK47's in their car. This was an absolute discgrace of law enforcement. The cops need to be fired 100% - no normal human being acts that way, especially with a small child present. Talking about shooting and killing them for shop lifting a $4 item. Cmon man

Ex. Two officers show up and tell them to put the items back or they are going to be charged with shop lifitng. The parents would obviously take those items back in the store whether they play stupid or not. Have a small talk with the parents and everyone is on their way. Common sense policing goes a long way 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1