B1G Loser Mentality

6 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

All teams play 12 regular season games, 10 of those are P5 schools etc etc

the last 2 games can be G5 but no lower tiers of football 

Which would work fine if the NCAA went to more appropriately sized divisions, which would in itself likely negate much of the need for many of these specific rules.

As it stands, such a universal scheduling policy would bankrupt the lower half of the FBS who rely on guaranteed money games.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Which would work fine if the NCAA went to more appropriately sized divisions, which would in itself likely negate much of the need for many of these specific rules.

As it stands, such a universal scheduling policy would bankrupt the lower half of the FBS who rely on guaranteed money games.

I wouldn't care if they split the divisions again and have the Power 5 by itself. There would be so many more great match-ups. Everyone plays 9 conference games, the other 3 against P5 teams. There would be less Cinderella stories, but there are still crappy P5 teams that could win games they're not supposed to.

10 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why???

Taking the partial qualifiers was something the Big 8 was in full support of, until they went to the Big 12. That’s when Texas and the other SWC schools persuaded that NU had a huge advantage over the rest of the Big 8 schools, so they changed the rules. It wasn’t a big deal then, it shouldn’t be a big deal now.  Yes, it would be great if kids get full academic qualification right out of high school, but I am more proud of the kids who were partial qualifiers, but then turned out to be great student-athletes during their time in college. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Taking the partial qualifiers was something the Big 8 was in full support of, until they went to the Big 12. That’s when Texas and the other SWC schools persuaded that NU had a huge advantage over the rest of the Big 8 schools, so they changed the rules. It wasn’t a big deal then, it shouldn’t be a big deal now.  Yes, it would be great if kids get full academic qualification right out of high school, but I am more proud of the kids who were partial qualifiers, but then turned out to be great student-athletes during their time in college. 

Exactly. 

So so why would landlord with TO never used partial qualifiers?

i never understood why they were ever made not allowable. 

I remember some Alabama player interviews after the first or second of their recent titles: Maybe they were from the south and never spent much time outside of the south so their speech may have skewed my perception but I couldn’t believe they were college students. I think we should be proud of the B1G’s higher academic standards.  BTN interviews a lot of players throughout the season and most sound fairly intelligent (taking into account they are 18-22 y.o.).

Having the same academic standards for all conferences would deprive some athletes of an education.  Opening up educational opportunities for people that otherwise couldn’t afford college is one of the great things about college athletics.

Football requires a lot of a time so unfortunately players gravitate toward easier majors and don’t get the full benefit of a free education anyway. There are some rare brainiacs that can handle difficult majors but there are probably a lot of B1G players that would choose different majors if they were only students.  

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly. 

So so why would landlord with TO never used partial qualifiers?

i never understood why they were ever made not allowable. 

Like I said it's *really* not a big deal to me at all and I've got very little issue with it, it just seemed like an attempt and intention to get an edge in wins that was in more or less direct opposition to academics.

BUT it also gave a lot of kids chances that wouldn't have otherwise gotten them. There's been lots of good that has come from it. But it wasn't obviously a noble attempt to do that, it was an attempt to win more football games with riskier kids.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Like I said it's *really* not a big deal to me at all and I've got very little issue with it, it just seemed like an attempt and intention to get an edge in wins that was in more or less direct opposition to academics.

BUT it also gave a lot of kids chances that wouldn't have otherwise gotten them. There's been lots of good that has come from it. But it wasn't obviously a noble attempt to do that, it was an attempt to win more football games with riskier kids.

How in the world is giving kids a chance to get qualified at UNL not noble?

they weren’t qualified to participate until they did. 

Its no different than sending them to a juco first. 

• Plus1 2
On 6/29/2019 at 11:42 AM, Salsa Red said:

One thing about the B1G that bothers me is the "loser" mentality compared to other conferences. The conference puts itself in a disadvantage where it is harder to compete. For example what Michigan did in baseball is considered a miracle due to the conference self appointed recruiting restrictions. Also most other conferences over-sign but the B1G restricts that as well, more conference games, higher academic requirements, etc all put every school in the B1G at a disadvantage.

It seems the B1G thinks they are "too good" to do what everyone else is doing and makes it harder to compete. Even the big 10 network doesn't push for it's teams to get into the playoff when they have legitimate claim (PSU, WI, OSU have been passed by other teams with same losses by the committee and the B1G didn't put up much of a fight) like all the other networks do. It could be that the conference always wanted to go to the rose bowl as it's prime goal but I think the attitude needs to change if it wants to have long term success. 

The money is great for the schools but the self appointed restrictions will make winning championships even more difficult.

A couple of points I would make. 

First it's important to recognize that as much as we are fans of the Huskers, these institutions are (or should be) academic institutions first.  They should not be run (in my opinion), like a professional sports franchise.  If you are going to argue that college sports should be continued to be sponsored and a part of universities then they should at the very least have some minimum standards they are trying to raise their student-athletes.  The fact is the vast majority of student athletes will NOT play professional sports at any level after college, so what you are doing (in an ideal scenario) is helping them get a college degree, which could in turn give them a better life when they graduate. 

The bolded totally reminds me of the Friday Night Lights movie where the caller to the radio station says , "You're doing too much learning in the schools."

(https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ac8f2e3c-0fe8-4fda-8b39-dfb768a50612).  You are essentially saying:  "It's great that we have high academic standards, and don't cut people the minute they become useless to us, but dang it's harder to win championships."  The point of the University IS to have high standards.  The football team should supplement that mission, the University should not be there to supplement the Football team.  You can argue all you want at how that mission has been already corrupted, but I don't think I want to purposely make it worse.

Just my two cents. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, JeffKinney said:

A couple of points I would make. 

First it's important to recognize that as much as we are fans of the Huskers, these institutions are (or should be) academic institutions first.  They should not be run (in my opinion), like a professional sports franchise.  If you are going to argue that college sports should be continued to be sponsored and a part of universities then they should at the very least have some minimum standards they are trying to raise their student-athletes.  The fact is the vast majority of student athletes will NOT play professional sports at any level after college, so what you are doing (in an ideal scenario) is helping them get a college degree, which could in turn give them a better life when they graduate. 

The bolded totally reminds me of the Friday Night Lights movie where the caller to the radio station says , "You're doing too much learning in the schools."

(https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/ac8f2e3c-0fe8-4fda-8b39-dfb768a50612).  You are essentially saying:  "It's great that we have high academic standards, and don't cut people the minute they become useless to us, but dang it's harder to win championships."  The point of the University IS to have high standards.  The football team should supplement that mission, the University should not be there to supplement the Football team.  You can argue all you want at how that mission has been already corrupted, but I don't think I want to purposely make it worse.

Just my two cents. 

That all makes sense, until you walk into a college classroom meeting these high standard students who are nothing more than breathing automatons. What we’ve done in the last 20 or so years of increased testing is taught students how to jump through those hoops. 

The point of university is not standards, it’s education. When those standards start being about the joy of learning and not the monotony of being constantly tested to appeal to some bureaucratic monkey, all of what you said will have some functional meaning.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, brophog said:

That all makes sense, until you walk into a college classroom meeting these high standard students who are nothing more than breathing automatons. What we’ve done in the last 20 or so years of increased testing is taught students how to jump through those hoops. 

The point of university is not standards, it’s education. When those standards start being about the joy of learning and not the monotony of being constantly tested to appeal to some bureaucratic monkey, all of what you said will have some functional meaning.

I agree with the bolded, I'm sorry if that wasn't clear.  I am not really making a critique of universities today, but rather saying that the academic and learning mission of universities should be supported by the athletic department, rather than the university supporting the athletic department.  If that makes sense.

• Plus1 2