What will our defense be good at this season?

17 hours ago, Redux said:

I just want to pressure every QB we go up against.  So tired of us looking like clowns while the other teams QB dances around while we flail around.

Agreed. SO many games last year where the other team’s QB was just chillin in the pocket. 

4 minutes ago, Fru said:

Agreed. SO many games last year where the other team’s QB was just chillin in the pocket. 

This is where JoJo Domman should come in handy.  If i recall they blitzed him a few times last year.  If I was in charge that number would increase.  He has the ability to be one of those disruptive players that offenses have to account for and it will lead to opportunities for other players.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

This is where JoJo Domman should come in handy.  If i recall they blitzed him a few times last year.  If I was in charge that number would increase.  He has the ability to be one of those disruptive players that offenses have to account for and it will lead to opportunities for other players.

His best game was against OSU and that was one of the games we looked most disruptive defensively.

Is it too cynical of me to say "not much"?

20 hours ago, Moiraine said:

He was good enough to start for us, and we have an unknown replacing him. I’m not terribly worried about it but he was a bigger loss than Mick (due to him not playing much) or Freedom in my opinion, and our DL seems deeper. 

Basically just walking in the door, too. I know he was experienced in the scheme, but he vaulted over the rest of the safeties basically from minute 1. 

17 hours ago, brophog said:

You can only do what your players are capable of doing, and with the transition the number of guys capable of executing any particular call wasn’t always where Chins wanted. For instance, he wanted to play a lot more man coverage, which would have allowed him to be far more aggressive up front.

The example that you cite of secondary coverage scheme is a good one and definitely hits your point home. But not blitzing your linebackers when you play in a 3-4 does not. 

My main example would be the Ohio State game. Now Stoltenberg was back for that game and that made a small different - very small. But what was different? It was aggressive blitzing. If we had just asked our linebackers to stand around in run-fit like we did against Purdue (who is a gun-it-out passing team!!!!), Ohio State would have blown us out. 

I don't want to preemptively accuse Chinander of making those same mistakes again in 2019. My summary is to say that if we're aggressive all season long, we could win the West.

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

The example that you cite of secondary coverage scheme is a good one and definitely hits your point home. But not blitzing your linebackers when you play in a 3-4 does not. 

My main example would be the Ohio State game. Now Stoltenberg was back for that game and that made a small different - very small. But what was different? It was aggressive blitzing. If we had just asked our linebackers to stand around in run-fit like we did against Purdue (who is a gun-it-out passing team!!!!), Ohio State would have blown us out. 

I don't want to preemptively accuse Chinander of making those same mistakes again in 2019. My summary is to say that if we're aggressive all season long, we could win the West.

Did we have Domann available against Purdue? If I remember correctly that OSU game was one of his first games back. Maybe Chinander decided blitzing was more of a risk than a reward if he was sending Gifford off the edge and it would be better to just have him in coverage. If your blitzer is not getting home to the QB consistently you just hurt yourself sending him.

10 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Did we have Domann available against Purdue? If I remember correctly that OSU game was one of his first games back. Maybe Chinander decided blitzing was more of a risk than a reward if he was sending Gifford off the edge and it would be better to just have him in coverage. If your blitzer is not getting home to the QB consistently you just hurt yourself sending him.

Nope, he didn't come back until Northwestern.

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Anybody makes this play, though. The play worked because it got called at the right time:

Yes but we weren't calling it as much when Domann wasn't available and that tells me they weren't confident in their other linebackers to get there consistently. I feel like I watched Gifford blitz alot last season and get lost at the LOS. If you blitz and the QB still has all day, that is a worst case scenario. You are better off not blitzing.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Yes but we weren't calling it as much when Domann wasn't available and that tells me they weren't confident in their other linebackers to get there consistently.

You could be right, and in fact I hope you are. I hope that it wasn't pure confusion or stubbornness on Chinander's part and that it was roster-related. In which case we'll hope and pray for a healthy JJ this season.   :)

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I feel like I watched Gifford blitz alot last season and get lost at the LOS.

He was used as a stand up defensive end for much of the season, and this tactic was pathetically unsuccessful. He didn't blitz so much as he just acted as a defensive end in a four man front. Meaning, it wasn't disguised blitzing which is really where the 3-4 can be so deadly.

Again - if Chinander learns from these mistakes this season we could look even better than we did in games 7-12 last year. If he doesn't I'll be pretty frustrated.

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, Undone said:

You could be right, and in fact I hope you are. I hope that it wasn't pure confusion or stubbornness on Chinander's part and that it was roster-related. In which case we'll hope and pray for a healthy JJ this season.   :)

He was used as a stand up defensive end for much of the season, and this tactic was pathetically unsuccessful. He didn't blitz so much as he just acted as a defensive end in a four man front. Meaning, it wasn't disguised blitzing which is really where the 3-4 can be so deadly.

Again - if Chinander learns from these mistakes this season we could look even better than we did in games 7-12 last year. If he doesn't I'll be pretty frustrated.

I think we won't have to rely as much on Domann not getting injured this season. We have more capeable bodies this season if Ferg can also stay healthy and if Tannor can step it up. Get some quality snaps from a guy like Garrett Nelson and thats some solid depth at OLB