Best Husker Team to Not Win a National Title Game 6: 1993 Nebraska vs. 1982 Nebraska

Cdog923

Best Husker Team to Not Win the National Title Game 6:  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the Winner

• 1993 Nebraska
    • 1982 Nebraska

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2019 at 04:59 AM

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I went with 1993, but it is such a tough call.  I was pretty young and don't remember the '82 team all that well, and the '93 team was right in my wheelhouse.  Maybe I have a soft spot for Trev and the rest of the '93 team which came up just short in Orange Bowl.

When we're dealing with 82, 83 & 93 there really isn't a wrong answer. All were awesome and deserving of nattys.  I understand leaning towards the team you know better. I do it with 82 & 83 and had I been a student in the 90's, I'd probably lean their way. I do feel at the time that 82 & 83 were more dominate in their time but I'm not sure that should take anything away from 93. Anyway, no wrong answer here.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Ha!  That's great.  My younger brother was at UNL from '00-'04.  Needless to say he wasn't as happy with the football team, as I was in my college experience.

I can count the NU losses when I was a student on 2 fingers.

He at least got 2 good years.  I was there from 03-07. Witnessed most of Callahan,  and Solich getting boat raced at home by K State.  I'm approaching 20 losses attended I think out of 50 ish total.  

93 was a funny year.   We didn't dominate anybody, but won them all.    Almost to a person, nobody expected us to beat FSU and we were all kind of surprised that we outplayed them.   It was kind of like 95 in the fact that during the season we really didn't have a grasp on how good the team was.   If Bennett had made the last second field goal, yeah we would have won the title but I don't think anybody would be saying that team was in the discussion for GOAT.    82, otoh, probably would be.   It was the most balanced, complete team from Lincoln that didn't win a title.    

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Not discounting this at all, but '93's line was nothing to scoff at. 

Oh, I know that  - but none on the 93 team has a trophy named after them like Remmington has.   93-97 was perhaps the greatest era of the pipleline, but I think 82 was the single greatest year.   And Steinkuhler continued into 1983 playing at the same great level.

• 2 weeks later...