What's it going to take?

Fat Tony

39 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

Consistency? They have been consistently awful since they’ve been here. If they don’t start developing players and playing sound football, recruiting will tank. Top prospects aren’t coming to Lincoln if the coaches can’t coach themselves out of a wet paper bag. Hopefully, they get to a bowl at some point in their tenure. I want Frost to turn it around but I don’t want 7 years of the crap fest product we’ve seen so far. Get your guys and win. No more excuses. 

They haven't developed Cam Jurgens? I think thats a prime example of their ability to develop talent. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huckleberry Muhammad said:

What makes my hopes rise is what happened at UCF.  Frost did cause the program to unravel the losing culture and ignite a winning one, in spite of a mediocre DC.

I am encouraged too by everything in Frost's past as a player and coach.  He's been around winning programs, hall of fame coaches and know how they should be ran and the culture within them.

Here's a big thing though that some Husker fans either don't realize or choose to forget.  Yes, Frost took over a team that went 0-12 the year before and then improved to 6-7 and then ultimately the undefeated season in 2017.  But, let's look at the year's prior to the 0-12 year.

2012      10-4

2013      12-1

2014      9-4

So, yes, he took over a team that went 0-12 the prior year.  But, he still had upper classmen on those first two teams at UCF that understood how to win and what winning felt like.

This team has none of that.  We have Freshmen and Sophomores needing to step up and be the leaders on the team because the Juniors and Seniors don't know how to win and the effort that that takes.

I know fans are sick and tired of hearing, "it's going to take time".  But, reality sucks sometimes.  

• Plus1 5
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

I've never liked this philosophy. No coaches aren't the ones out there missing tackles and dropping passes, but it's the job of the coaches to teach those players. Poor fundamentals and poor execution absolutely belongs to the coaches. 

You can't coach effort? Well, you can reward good effort. You can motivate. You can disincentivize poor effort. 

I don't know the answers, and I still pretty much believe that it is Frost or bust. But I think everything falls on the coaches.

I’m with your effort take. I’ll also add that I cringe every time I hear “if you’re going to make a mistake, make it at 100 miles per hour “.   To me that de-emphasizes the importance of not making mistakes and the whole 100mph thing leads to: over pursuing, tackling with poor form, etc. I think some players, especially the ones with low football IQ, take this too literally and that leads to basically what we see from most of the LBs week in and week out. How hard is it to make an open field tackle for crying out loud!  You don’t need to take the guys head off, just break down and wrap up. And for heavens sake don’t look at the ball carrier’s eyes!  

If there is a lack of effort on the players then get the younger kids in there and the hell with the redshirts. To recruit the really good players, they don't want to be in college for 4 years anyways. The good teams just reload after two years and I think that is part of the sell for those teams. Tell the starters upfront that if there appears to be a lack of effort they are coming out. That places the responsibility on them. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, husker rob said:

Ive never liked the 3-4, but i grew up watching the huskers dominate with the 4-3.

It didnt take a coachung change to switch from the 5-2 that Nebraska ran to the 43, it did however take a change in philosophy.  McBride did it who says Chins cant.  This team needs continuity not constant turn over.

Look at NU DL in the 90s and compare them to now.  The davis twins and Daniels look fat and out of shape in comparison.  Either one of the Peter brothers whould have scored a td on that int.

Give him some of the supplements the Peters were on and I bet he scores. They look fat, but they are not out of shape. Before he started getting nicked up Darrion was playing more snaps per game than the Peters would have, our rotation at NT really hasn't developed much. It's also just a different style of defense, and I know a lot of people don't like the style. But it needs bigger bodies than the 4-3.

42 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They haven't developed Cam Jurgens? I think thats a prime example of their ability to develop talent. 

Are you going to go player by player? AM went backwards. The LBs are...not sure of the right word but out of position a lot. The DLine is a bombastic failure. Got fat. Big step back. The TEs...don’t know because they hardly use them. The freshman RB...he got a play in. I said they need to start developing players AND playing sound football because recruiting will suffer if they don’t. (It looks bleak right now)Time will tell what this staff can and cannot do. It all comes out in the wash. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

Are you going to go player by player? AM went backwards. The LBs are...not sure of the right word but out of position a lot. The DLine is a bombastic failure. Got fat. Big step back. The TEs...don’t know because they hardly use them. The freshman RB...he got a play in. I said they need to start developing players AND playing sound football because recruiting will suffer if they don’t. (It looks bleak right now)Time will tell what this staff can and cannot do. It all comes out in the wash. 

It sure does buddy. Hope you remember making these comments next year and down the line.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

Its going to take changing the culture...

12 hours ago, SFW said:

We are simply getting out coached on every level each game.

10 hours ago, husker rob said:

We have a lack of effort by a lot of players. 

9 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Starts and ends with recruiting.

3 hours ago, lo country said:

Just need to develop, coach and execute. ..

Image result for glad we agree meme

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, SFW said:

It’s not buy-in or players not executing.

We are simply getting out coached on every level each game.

Not what I’d hoped for.

Frost is going to have to grow quickly because next years schedule looks like 2 or 3 wins.

frost calling a shovel pass on the goal line immediately after we intercepted a shovel pass that got us the ball on the goal line told me me all I needed to know: he still hasn’t humbled himself enough to do what is needed to be successful here at Nebraska. He’s still just all talk with a mountain sized ego. 

With that being said, I still think he will make some internal and external changes these next few games and in the offseason that will bring success next year. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, thatguy said:

frost calling a shovel pass on the goal line immediately after we intercepted a shovel pass that got us the ball on the goal line told me me all I needed to know: he still hasn’t humbled himself enough to do what is needed to be successful here at Nebraska. He’s still just all talk with a mountain sized ego. 

I have zero desire for Frost to stop being aggressive.  

• Plus1 2

We don’t have any depth which is why things implode in the 4th quarter.  As far as recruiting, I would go with 2 and 3 star players that have heart.  The 4 and 5 star players we have are the ones that Alabama, OSU and other elites didn’t want.  Last year’s Super Bowl consisted of predominantly all 2 and 3 star college players, meaning coachable (this is why Belichek has so much success).  The coaching carousel has to stop.  Kids don’t know who they’ll be playing for year to year if we continue down this road.  Nebraska used to always win 9 games a year because of a weak conference under TO but would usually lose a bowl game.  The BIG10 is so physical and currently our team gets worn down by the end of the game.

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have zero desire for Frost to stop being aggressive.  

me neither.

being aggressive in that situation would be lining up with a full back and running 4 times till we got in the end zone. calling that play is all about hubris, not aggression.

• Haha 1