Frustrations of the fan base

BigPeterJ

29 minutes ago, Undone said:

The schemes that the two play in are actually pretty different. In Frost's offense, the QB isn't that much of a weapon in a power run scheme. He's more of a facilitator. 

In Taylor's freshman season, he had a 59.2% completion percentage and 1,631 passing yards. In his second season, 56.3% and 2089.

In Adrian's first year he had a 64.6% completion percentage and 2,617 passing yards.This season his completion percentage is currently at 59.1% with 1,711 yards and he's missed games, played slightly hurt, and the season isn't even over.

I'm not sure the two guys would necessarily do that great in each other's schemes is probably the point. 

Thanks for the civil response.  When it comes to stats there are many factors.  For one, Adrians completion percentage is a lil misleading (cause there are so many short screen passes in this offense).  Also you mentioned Adrian being hurt.  Taylor was also hurt very often, probably more so than Adrian.  3rd, id be curious the rushing stats of Taylor vs Adrian.  

If AM is the facilitator, he has been a very poor facilitator...im not trolling, i truly think Vedral is a better QB at this point...idk if that speaks to how good Vedral is, or how mediocre to bad AM is.

I think this is a good summation of the situation from Sean Callahan today:

Is there anything tangible from the last two seasons which suggest an improvement from the Riley years?

The players they are bringing in. Look at Cav's line classes and look at Austin's. Not even close. Look at Held's RB's and look at Davis's. They are building from the base up and they are managing this roster much better. Riley won with Pelini talent. He was handed a 9-win team in year one and only [won] 6. Year 2 he got the PJ Fleck 2019 schedule and got to 7-0. They had a great senior class as well in 2016. Once that senior group of 2016 left the ship sunk fast.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think this is a good summation of the situation from Sean Callahan today:

Is there anything tangible from the last two seasons which suggest an improvement from the Riley years?

The players they are bringing in. Look at Cav's line classes and look at Austin's. Not even close. Look at Held's RB's and look at Davis's. They are building from the base up and they are managing this roster much better. Riley won with Pelini talent. He was handed a 9-win team in year one and only [won] 6. Year 2 he got the PJ Fleck 2019 schedule and got to 7-0. They had a great senior class as well in 2016. Once that senior group of 2016 left the ship sunk fast.

We already know Riley sucked.  Move on already...if you wanna say Frost has had 4-8 talent then go ahead.  But fact is we had 8-4 talent....this isnt about Riley anymore.  

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That's a pretty short-sighted (if not ignorant) viewpoint.

I hear where your coming from Mav, but i cant agree that this is Rileys fault.  We have more talent than Purdue, Indiana, Colorado....i get that its more than a talent problem left behind.  Riley also left certain positions bare, and some bad development, also some bad player habits.  

Yes, Riley is partly to blame for where we are, but we all knew that.  I didnt expect us to be a top 15 team.  What i did expect was a 8-4 type season with this schedule.  We have the players to beat The Indianas and Colorados...and Frost has had almost 2 years to instill his stuff.  Frost is to blame for this year, im sorry to say that cause he is a good man.

3 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I hear where your coming from Mav, but i cant agree that this is Rileys fault.  We have more talent than Purdue, Indiana, Colorado....i get that its more than a talent problem left behind.  Riley also left certain positions bare, and some bad development, also some bad player habits.  

Yes, Riley is partly to blame for where we are, but we all knew that.  I didnt expect us to be a top 15 team.  What i did expect was a 8-4 type season with this schedule.  We have the players to beat The Indianas and Colorados...and Frost has had almost 2 years to instill his stuff.  Frost is to blame for this year, im sorry to say that cause he is a good man.

So we have more talent than Purdue, Indiana, Colorado?  Yet we also don't?

2 hours ago, BigPeterJ said:

We moved the ball over 500 yards , and yet scored 21 points.  People who say our offense has been good just annoys me.  What good is moving the ball if you dont score? And i disagree that AM is a good quarterback.  Also when people blame our defense, they fail to account for the fact our offense gives them great field position half the time.  Out of all areas of our team, I am most dissapointed in our QB (Adrian), and our offensive "mind".  

Nobody is saying everything is great and nothing needs improved on. Obviously, they need to punch it in. However, we pretty much out did every defensive stat that Wisconsin had going and they are a very good defense. Statistically one of the best in the country. 

Question......would have you been happier if we scored 30 points?

7 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

I don't think much of anyone expected this record this season.  Most were right with you.  But expectations don't always mesh with reality.  And there are any of dozens of plays that could have swung things in a different directions. 

Wisconsin has had "less talent" that a lot of teams for a lot of years.  But they've also won a lot of games.  Talent is the bedrock.  But it's not everything.

We lost to Colorado by 3 after dominating the first half.  We out-gained them but lost the turnover battle and missed a FG.  We didn't need to be any better of a team to beat them.  We just needed to make a couple more plays somewhere along the line.

We out-gained Indiana by 60 yards for the game.  That's a very good argument that we were the "better team".  But we lost the turnover battle and lost the game.  Change a couple plays and that game might go the other way.  But we didn't make them.

We didn't play well against Purdue and lost by 4.  If our Offense was moving the ball against them like they were against Wisconsin we could easily have won that game.  Why could we only get 375 yards against the #78 defense in the country and then get 493 yards against the #4 defense in the country two weeks later?  Who in the world knows.  That's how it works for most teams.

You can make a decent argument that we out-played Wisconsin overall.  But they made most of the big plays - KO return TD, long TD after missed tackles, we missed one FG and that cost us a chance at another.  We were missing three defensive starters and had at least 2 or 3 others pretty banged up.  We just don't have many options behind them.

We do a lot of things well but make enough mistakes that we can't recover from.  But we're not that far off from being an 8-win team.  Kind of like early last year - right there but can't get it done.  

I think people are kind of hung up on their pre-season expectation of how tough our schedule is.  Going off last year, it looked to be an easier one.  But I don't think it turned out that way.

According to Sagarin, we have the #39 schedule in the country.  Alabama's vaunted SEC schedule currently checks in at #51.

No one expected Minnesota to be that tough after we beat them by 25 last year.  But since that game they are 13-3 and a Top 10 team.  

Indiana has won 7 games.  I think we should have beaten them but they're not a push-over.  That's more games than we've won in any of the last three years.  They're going bowling.  We might not.

Illinois has shown to be better than expected.  They beat Wisconsin.  They're going bowling.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be frustrated.  But I think there are a lot more reasons behind it than some are willing to admit.

• Thanks 3
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nobody is saying everything is great and nothing needs improved on. Obviously, they need to punch it in. However, we pretty much out did every defensive stat that Wisconsin had going and they are a very good defense. Statistically one of the best in the country. 

Question......would have you been happier if we scored 30 points?

If we scored 30 id of been a bit happier.  Your proud of the fact our offense "outdid every defensive stat Wisconsin had going for them"...yet we scored 21 points...  are you proud that we scored 21 points? Is 21 points a solid offense?  

7 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Why are you confused? I never said we didnt?  I think clearly we have more talent than any of those schools .  We shouldnt lose to them this year, but we did..coaching imo.

I agree coaching was probably part if it.  But "coaching" is a vague.

You wrote in an earlier post that development, bad habits and certain positions were left bare by Riley.

As close as some if the losses were, I think all three of those issues came into play.

So while you "debunk" what Callahan wrote, I think your post even agrees there is some truth to it.

I mean, just the difference in the caliber of players Frost is bringing in versus Riley should be exciting for the immediate future.

12 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

If we scored 30 id of been a bit happier.  Your proud of the fact our offense "outdid every defensive stat Wisconsin had going for them"...yet we scored 21 points...  are you proud that we scored 21 points? Is 21 points a solid offense?  

Well....the only reason we didn’t is because we don’t have a kicker. 

Im proud?  That’s a strange word to say. I’ve never said I’m “proud” of what the huskers did because I’m not the one doing it. 

Nobody is saying they are completely satisfied. We lost. Nobody is happy. 

what people are saying is that there are reasons to be optimistic and they are right. A lot went right on Saturday....till they got close to the goal line. That’s a hell of a lot better than if we did what almost all other offenses are doing against Wisconsin. 

points against Wisconsin this year. 

The last two are against the #3 and # 18 team in the country. If we had a kicker, we have the second most points scored against them this year. Against the #4 defense in the country. 

psssst....that 14 point game is against the number 11 team in the country. 

• Plus1 2

Scott Frost got out-coached this year. 

Other teams made in-game adjustments and Nebraska...not so much. Defenses learned our tendencies and then we telegraphed them. Offenses could look at our defensive alignments and know exactly what to exploit. When other teams hit Nebraska in the mouth, we tended to fall apart. We came out of halftime and actually looked worse in the third quarter. Our superstar Freshman QB took a huge step back. That's all on coaching. 

Frost could have done better with better talent. But who couldn't? 

Recruits will make us better. Frost will dig in and improve himself. Defense will become a priority. We will start winning more games and playing more competitively.

But the objective view around football is that Scott Frost got out-coached this year. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
20 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I thought you said Adrian couldn't throw screen passes. 

I said he barely can yea...still brings up his completion percentage if he completes 80% of them..and half of his screen passes that are completed throw the runner off balance.  Use some common sense if you want to comprende my message